The Pursuit Of Tone: Tom Doc

Lauren

I enjoyed the entire thing. I was hoping they were going to see his reaction to the latest blink exiling and record but still, it made me realize why I grew up idolizing Tom. And honestly, just getting him to say nice things about blink, Mark and Travis is always a treat these days. Stoked I watched it.

• Like 1

Tom is a guy who in his situation, cannot say his opinion about california or even blink without getting killed. Truth is - that the guy doesnt feel like its an blink-album, and Tom is only person besides Scott who has leverage, and reason to say so, without its being an opinion.

If you play in ManU and are kicked out, or traded to Liverpool, things change. Kindofa same thing going on here.

He better stay quiet or lie.

41 minutes ago, CC182 said:

Tom is a guy who in his situation, cannot say his opinion about california or even blink without getting killed. Truth is - that the guy doesnt feel like its an blink-album, and Tom is only person besides Scott who has leverage, and reason to say so, without its being an opinion.

If you play in ManU and are kicked out, or traded to Liverpool, things change. Kindofa same thing going on here.

He better stay quiet or lie.

Easy Rick Devoe. 

• Like 1

Well, that was better than I expected.

I liked:

- How Tom seems to be a little bit aware of his mistakes, although he's not making a full self conscious statement about them.

- How he spoke about his role on creatin blink music and the quote on the Untitled album on how they dveleped that sound, giving credit to the rest of the band.

- The clearance on the beginning of BCR (assuming it's true due to the coincidence in words with Travis' recent interview).

- I like a few more things.

I dislike:

- How he explains blink is built on a legacy. That is stupid. If so, AvA was built from a legacy, not on a direct way, but come on... nobody would have paid attention to it if it wasn¡t created by Tom, who has a past and a legacy. Also, blink is known for breaking his own legacy. Enema broke what they were doing before that, and Untitled broke what they did before it.

- How confused he is: he, more or less, is saying that one person can develop an idea, create a script, do a movie, animate it, and create an OST. Fuck that. He's being able to do it, because he can afford hiring people to work for him.

- How he's still thinking he just invented the wheeel with his new muktimedia company, when the reality is just that: To The Stars is a multimedia xcompany. A kind of agency. Nothing  different to what we know as communication agencies, production agencies or whaterver.

Positive shit:

- I understand him when he explains that moment between BCR and AvA in which he had, basically, an existentian and personal breakdown/crysis. He lost himself on the spiral and tryed to find himself again. That's brave. That fact is brave. The problem was, for what we know, how he did it, and how he kept doing it over the years.

-I said it a few lines ago: he seems to be a little bit aware of how bad he communicates, and the mistakes he has done.

Negative shit:

- Just that: he fails on communicating.

- He fails on comprehend how big and hard is the new world in which he's navigating now.

- He seems 100% not interested in music anymore.

- It looks like pre-2003 Tom, in terms of misicianship, is never coming back. Not anyting similar.

Now, I'm just thinking. I have tons of "if" in my head.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Chewy030 said:

I'm surprised he didn't mention the untitled record at all. I honestly find miss him one bit. If we were still dealing with his bullshit this se toon would be dead because we'd still be waiting for something.

um..yeah he did.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewy030 said:

Really? I honestly didn't remember him Talking about that record. Oh well not worth going back to watch for it. 

it's very briefly mentioned after the BCR part.

Anyways, pre-breakup Tom is never coming back.  You can so tell after watching this and seeing his thought process and such.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

How confused he is: he, more or less, is saying that one person can develop an idea, create a script, do a movie, animate it, and create an OST. Fuck that. He's being able to do it, because he can afford hiring people to work for him.

he fails on communicating.

all of this. good breakdown ghost.

Watched it. Honestly the best part was when he was driving around and remembering all the fun times he had as a kid. I could really relate to that. As an adult I can do that in my childhood neighborhood. I think most can.

When it got to the Blink part, it was good, but it felt like so much was left out of the history, and I know it's only an hour and a half but I hate narratives that are just so incomplete.

But overall I thought Tom seemed really forthcoming and seemed like a more sane person than perhaps he displays on facebook these days.

That being said, he still was saying things that aren't true, still defined things a certain way that isn't necessarily reality (how Blink fans want him to be punk) and still seems a bit crazy. I really think that fame just fucked the guy up and started him down a very strange path.

• Like 3