The Pursuit Of Tone: Tom Doc

Lauren

36 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

I think this is just one of things he's had to tell himself to cope with the fact he's had so many failures with AvA.  Along with trying to change the narrative of blink and convince himself it was only ever just a joke band.

It's called cognitive dissonance, and Tom is just swimming in it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, prankerd14 said:

I couldn't keep a straight face when he said ava reached there peak at the love albums!! I thought that's when they got shit....

To be fair in my opinion, i've always thought the love albums together had the best selection of songs... songs like Young London and Flight of the Apollo are badass in my opinion. 

You can just see how disgusted he is with Neighborhoods when talking about Ghost on the Dance Floor... Like he's so proud of that progressive element he was able to bring, but like he said "clash of the titans" between him and Mark.

Sometimes I think what Blink could've been like if Jerry was still around. Even if they still broke up in 2005, I'd imagine that the 2009 reunion would've been the true continuation of the Untitled record... There's no way Jerry would've let Tom bloat the songs with all those synths, or have Mark writing about helicopters as a song's hook.... 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, One Eight Two said:

You can just see how disgusted he is with Neighborhoods when talking about Ghost on the Dance Floor... Like he's so proud of that progressive element he was able to bring, but like he said "clash of the titans" between him and Mark.

Sometimes I think what Blink could've been like if Jerry was still around. Even if they still broke up in 2005, I'd imagine that the 2009 reunion would've been the true continuation of the Untitled record... There's no way Jerry would've let Tom bloat the songs with all those synths, or have Mark writing about helicopters as a song's hook.... 

I know...Jerry Finn hated helicopters. No way he'd ever let that pass

• Like 3

It's still sad to see stuff like the part about Dumpweed with the clips of blink playing and just having fun. That whole era was fucking magical. It's almost still like a sick joke that Tom threw away a huge chunk of his legacy to chase UFOs and fake meetings with "very important people." 

• Like 1

Main thoughts.

Pretty much expected him to shit on Scott. He mentions him briefly in starting the band, says nothing of the shit treatment he and Mark gave him, then goes on about how Travis is a superior musician.

I was expecting more honesty and revelations about the whole Blink-182 situation, break-ups, and such, but nothing interesting was revealed that we didn't already know. Just delusions of grandeur in AvA, and surprisingly boxcar racer.

The whole thing was too messy to be enjoyed, it's a fourth backstory, a fourth on tone and instruments, a fourth of ego, and a fourth advertisements (for his company and I wonder how much Ford and Nike paid him for this.) 

Overall, it was charming in some places, but not really that enjoyable. I think I dislike him about the same amount I did before I watched, maybe a little less. I can at least respect the drive he has, but the way he treats his fans is utter bullshit and I guarantee they are nothing more than dollar signs in his eyes. Even though his side projects are poor and no one would give a shit without his fleeting star power, I can admire him more than Mark's desire to keep playing all the small things over and over and over again. Regardless, they are welcome to do whatever they want and it is interesting to see how much progression and change has driven this band. 

Anyone expecting this to be an actual in-depth revelations and introspection and stuff had too much hope in this thing. It's just an episode of a fluff series basically, which is fine. I would love to see some kind of truly impartial "asking the hard questions" type documentary someday haha, but I never expected this to be it.

On 8/22/2016 at 3:57 AM, Ghent's Brother said:

I enjoyed the first half of this quite a bit, but like some of you guys said, it's a pretty big bore once it gets to the AvA and beyond era. 

Just can't help but think it was a missed opportunity for him to admit to some mistakes he's made or try to shed his ego a little bit.  He still comes across like he's desperately yelling out to people "I AM AN ARTIST, LOOK AT ALL MY MEDIA".  It especially loses weight when all of the products he's made post-blink are terrible.

And at the end he's like "I dont think people know, I'm blah blah blah" and goes through all this stuff to like try and show he's well-rounded now or something.  Dude you aren't unique because you have multiple interests, literally everybody has different sides and facets to their personality, it isn't just you.  Give me a break.

Everyone has a childhood and memories too, but it was still interesting to hear about his. I think when you're a celebrity it's easy to get put into a role and wanted in that role. And it's great that Tom is showing he's more than that role, even if I personally don't appreciate those other sides much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished watching this, generally enjoyed it, but amongst the hundreds of things I'd like to say...

I find it so ridiculous that he talks down about Blink all the time referring to simplicity,  nursery rhymes, being a joke band...and then later mentions that untitled is probably their most well known album.. an album that is most certainly not any if those things. It's like he genuinely cannot acknowledge what Blink was. Which is weird cause he's usually first to toot his own horn.

8 hours ago, Craig182 said:

Just finished watching this, generally enjoyed it, but amongst the hundreds of things I'd like to say...

I find it so ridiculous that he talks down about Blink all the time referring to simplicity,  nursery rhymes, being a joke band...and then later mentions that untitled is probably their most well known album.. an album that is most certainly not any if those things. It's like he genuinely cannot acknowledge what Blink was. Which is weird cause he's usually first to toot his own horn.

I agree, that was the main takeaway for me as well. 

I'm guessing it's his way of rationalizing getting kicked out and losing control of the band. He's tricked himself into viewing the band as a joke based on their immature antics, joke songs, stage banter, etc. while completely ignoring all the amazing songs and albums they wrote together. It's selective reasoning to make him feel better. 

Kind of sad that he can't appreciate what they did together and the sole reason he's successful today. It all stems from Tom's insanely big ego and immature outlook on life, which is funny considering how he tries to mask it by perpetually stressing that Angels and Airwaves is artistic/mature/innovative/etc. while Blink is just nursery rhymes and dick jokes. No Tom, you actually had a talented, functioning band with Blink with three creative members coming up with incredibly well written and catchy songs with killer guitar hooks and then you became an egotistical asshole, throwing away the best thing you ever had, for an artificially inflated "artistic band" (because it was neither artistic - i.e. ripping off U2 - nor a band, given the turnover rate of members). He had the vision for artistic projects, but had absolutely no execution on those ideas. 

/rant 

• Like 2