The Pursuit Of Tone: Tom Doc

Lauren

I enjoyed the first half of this quite a bit, but like some of you guys said, it's a pretty big bore once it gets to the AvA and beyond era. 

Just can't help but think it was a missed opportunity for him to admit to some mistakes he's made or try to shed his ego a little bit.  He still comes across like he's desperately yelling out to people "I AM AN ARTIST, LOOK AT ALL MY MEDIA".  It especially loses weight when all of the products he's made post-blink are terrible.

And at the end he's like "I dont think people know, I'm blah blah blah" and goes through all this stuff to like try and show he's well-rounded now or something.  Dude you aren't unique because you have multiple interests, literally everybody has different sides and facets to their personality, it isn't just you.  Give me a break.

• Like 1

Yeah, watched the entire thing from start to end and I think is a cool documentary. Sure, is under DeLonge's point of view (obvious), but is quietly narrated, and we got some cool snippets on the blink part. The To The Stars part is boring because, as much as Tom loves to be on a production agency (and is a col thing to do), the guts of it are boring. An agency is noa an exciting thing. The exciting stuff comes qhen you end up a project and present it to the world, in case that project is interesting.

I think the To The Stars part was a pretty interesting perspective to get inside Tom's head a bit but I also think he's extremely ignorant to the art community around him. He's not the first artist who has had to be a "transmedia" artist to sell - this is just his first time realizing that a lot of artists need to do this nowadays to survive in the community and world. He's essentially a sheltered musician whose never really had to 'struggle' comparatively to the upcoming artists now adays.

Now don't get me wrong - he worked his ass off to get to where he is now, but he talks as if his ideas are revolutionary and that no one has ever thought of being more than a one trick pony. A good example of this would be the artist 'Tycho' (Scott Hansen) who has created his own branding of his music and artwork with all his own tools. From his music, to live shows, visuals, literal art work (prints/digitals/etc.) - all these are under a wide range of a creative umbrella that is uniquely Scott Hansen. For example..(all his own creation)

Album Cover:
mqdefault.jpg

Live Visual he plays for background to this song...in sync...that he created (visuals, sync sets, etc.)

• Like 1

i watched full documentary today, and it was better than i expected. a lot of funny and interesting moments. probably, first delonge's work over the years where he look natural and sincere. i must note, that his self-esteem is too high. it's reflected in everything: words about blink. words about development, about his company etc. also, he looks crazy a bit anyway.

in general - i like this documentary. deep down - here's a lot of moments which confuses me. 

• Like 2

I don't know if I'm going to watch this.

It's very hard to look past the problem where this is Tom being presented in the best light. He's had his hand in all of this, must have been heavily edited. It's good people are seeing positives out of it, and seeing Tom in a better way, but it's a filtered view. I think people should keep that in mind.

If I get the time to watch this, I might but I don't know. I struggle to watch and listen to him. He really does struggle so hard with trying to sound intelligent and just completely and utterly failing, that coupled with his unfounded arrogance about his own career and talent as an 'artist' and 'businessman' just makes it very difficult for me to watch him without cringing or feeling incredibly depressed.

It's a little like finding out santa isn't real. 

He seems to have been really hurt by the fact that his identity equaled dick jokes and teenage songs. He's always trying to compensate "I read books, I make art". 

None of us know, but it might be hard to be associated with only one thing. One narrow definition of your existence. Like Mark Hamill is Luke or Daniel Radcliff is Harry Potter.

Tom was the naked guy from blink. Maybe that's the problem, who knows.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, lowson said:

Every time I see some footage from the tours around Untitled I just shout at the screen "give it to me!" I would pay a lot to see what was meant to be Urethra Chronicles III. 

The Untitled tours were Tom at his best. Look at his energy during those shows. The video clips of it were amazing. It is pretty hard to believe what he'd turn into less than 2 years later.

• Like 4

One thing that caught my ear was when he said "My fans know this" or something like that. I always though that sucks to call people "my fans". I mean, it's real, DeLonge has fans, and maybe is a detail without importance, but the way he says it... it just does't fit to me. He needs to be more down to earth about it. I always like more when artists reffer to his "fans" as "people who knows me" or "people who has been following my work or whatever".

End of my "DeLonge under the microscope" shit.

• Like 1

I dont remember a famous person in resent musical history, that is so hard to guess thst is "good", or "bad" than Tom is out to be. 

I mean, he may play out as poor loonatic,or a complete legend after years go by. 

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

One thing that caught my ear was when he said "My fans know this" or something like that. I always though that sucks to call people "my fans". I mean, it's real, DeLonge has fans, and maybe is a detail without importance, but the way he says it... it just does't fit to me. He needs to be more down to earth about it. I always like more when artists reffer to his "fans" as "people who knows me" or "people who has been following my work or whatever".

End of my "DeLonge under the microscope" shit.

I found the comment at the end insulting when he said something along the lines of "Some KIDS want me to be punk and be in Blink, but as an adult I had to make a different decision".

So he basically labeled all Blink fans who want him in the band ignorant "kids" who "want him to be punk".

He just puts his foot in his mouth and is totally delusional about the facts, because that isn't reality.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I found the comment at the end insulting when he said something along the lines of "Some KIDS want me to be punk and be in Blink, but as an adult I had to make a different decision".

So he basically labeled all Blink fans who want him in the band ignorant "kids" who "want him to be punk".

He just puts his foot in his mouth and is totally delusional about the facts, because that isn't reality.

No different then him just calling Blink a dick song band. Like dude you had deeper songs then just dick songs. But all he remembers it as is a dick joke band. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chewy030 said:

No different then him just calling Blink a dick song band. Like dude you had deeper songs then just dick songs. But all he remembers it as is a dick joke band. 

Yep, exactly and back in 2001 I remember he did an interview where he said it was so much more than a joke band. I think he has had to lie to himself and tell himself it's a joke band so he could justify in his mind that leaving was the right move.