The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

On 2/4/2017 at 9:31 AM, Clarkerpes said:

Haha that's awesome.

I've listened to the album about 10 times already, love it so far but there are a few weaker tracks for sure.

Tellin' Lies reminds me of a Say Anything song from the ...Is a Real Boy era. And at times, The Bars sounds like Deryk from Sum 41.

The only really weak track for me is Black Mass, I haven't been able to get into it, not that it's a bad song, I think its a grower.

The Bars and Bad Catholics aren't bad by any means either, but they lack a little of the appeal of the other tracks for me.

On 2/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, Scott. said:

Listened to about 10 songs altogether, I like the one in Casey's sig. That's it unfortunately. I hate one of their voices, the shouty one.

The song in my sig is probably my favourite, but they have plenty of great songs.

Have you listened to Lookers, The Obituaries, Thick as Thieves, After the Party, Sun Hotel, Gates, Nice Things, Sculptors and Vandals, or Good Things? Those are all awesome tracks. 

On 2/16/2017 at 8:08 AM, Broken English said:

The only really weak track for me is Black Mass, I haven't been able to get into it, not that it's a bad song, I think its a grower.

The Bars and Bad Catholics aren't bad by any means either, but they lack a little of the appeal of the other tracks for me.

Pretty spot on. I almost always skip The Bars and Charlie's Army... they aren't bad songs, they just aren't my style I guess. Livin' Ain't Easy also stands out like a sore thumb, it's such a bizarre track and I really cannot get into it. I feel like the Menzingers always throw a total curve ball, slower paced, experimental song at the end of each album based on this one and On the Impossible Past.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

Pretty spot on. I almost always skip The Bars and Charlie's Army... they aren't bad songs, they just aren't my style I guess. Livin' Ain't Easy also stands out like a sore thumb, it's such a bizarre track and I really cannot get into it. I feel like the Menzingers always throw a total curve ball, slower paced, experimental song at the end of each album based on this one and On the Impossible Past.  

Charlie's Army is a fucking bangin' tune. Such a good singalong.

It took me a while, but I really like Livin' Ain't Easy now, and The Bars has grown on me too. I think Bad Catholics I just listened to a bit too much before the album was out, so I got a bit sick of it.

On 20 February 2017 at 1:28 AM, Clarkerpes said:

The song in my sig is probably my favourite, but they have plenty of great songs.

Have you listened to Lookers, The Obituaries, Thick as Thieves, After the Party, Sun Hotel, Gates, Nice Things, Sculptors and Vandals, or Good Things? Those are all awesome tracks. 

I love that song in your sig mate so I'm going to give them more time. I'll get back to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott. said:

I love that song in your sig mate so I'm going to give them more time. I'll get back to you.

You probably shouldn't forget Charlie's Army, Your Wild Years, I Was Born, Time Tables, Rodent, In Remission, Tellin' Lies, I Don't Wanna Be An Asshole Anymore, Casey, Mexican Guitars or My Friend Kyle either. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Still loving this album. I'd put it one tier below OTIP, but both are really amazing albums in their own right.

Can anyone recommend bands that are similar to them? I've probably heard most (Gaslight Anthem, The Loved Ones, Hot Water Music, etc.), but I'd still love to hear suggestions. 

6 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

Still loving this album. I'd put it one tier below OTIP, but both are really amazing albums in their own right.

Can anyone recommend bands that are similar to them? I've probably heard most (Gaslight Anthem, The Loved Ones, Hot Water Music, etc.), but I'd still love to hear suggestions. 

Let me think of something more unusual than the same suggestions. Try with Iron Chic and Latterman - I love them both -  and Apologies, I Have None (they're probably my favourite British band and they have an awesome album called London, they're not for everyone but they're amazing). And The Smith Street Band. 

• Like 1

Ditto the Apologies I Have None suggestion. Quite different musically to the Menzingers, but they share the ability to paint vivid imagery in their songs. Awesome band.
You've listed Gaslight - so assume you've heard Brian Fallon's solo stuff already, but that's something I'd put in a similar category.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't watched a music video that captured a song so well

Honestly, it's incredibly rare for me to feel any strong emotions when watching music videos now. This one gave me shivers. It really nails the tone of the song and the lyrics so incredibly well, I'm pretty blown away by it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Clarkerpes said:

I haven't watched a music video that captured a song so well

Honestly, it's incredibly rare for me to feel any strong emotions when watching music videos now. This one gave me shivers. It really nails the tone of the song and the lyrics so incredibly well, I'm pretty blown away by it. 

Awesome tune! It is one of my favourites from the new album. I'm seeing these guys in Glasgow next weekend and I can't wait.