The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

Really enjoying the new single. Pretty standard Menzingers, which isn’t a bad thing, but it looks like they won’t be taking many risks with the new album if this song is any indication.

I dig the production a lot though. It sounds pretty similar to After the Party, but maybe slightly less produced which is a good call IMO. Getting serious Lookers vibes from the vocals and lyrics.

• Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 10:47 AM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

Really enjoying the new single. Pretty standard Menzingers, which isn’t a bad thing, but it looks like they won’t be taking many risks with the new album if this song is any indication.

I dig the production a lot though. It sounds pretty similar to After the Party, but maybe slightly less produced which is a good call IMO. Getting serious Lookers vibes from the vocals and lyrics.

Menzingers have always been the kings of nostalgic storytelling, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. 

Its a rare thing to find a band that can make you feel nostalgic for a situation you’ve never lived. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well everyone, it's official. Me and the lady are driving up to Milwaukee today to see the Mezingers for our 9-year anniversary. I'm so fucking excited!!!!

Never seen these guys live but they're on a heavy rotation at work for me. I'm also considering going to see them at the 350 Festival in Tinley Park as well, but that'd also be so I could see Iron Chic and Direct Hit!

August/September will be a glorious month for me. I think there's like 6 shows I'm going to. This marks the first!

Also, my favorite song is House on Fire but their earlier albums are great too! Fuck yeah, I'm excited. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Well everyone, it's official. Me and the lady are driving up to Milwaukee today to see the Mezingers for our 9-year anniversary. I'm so fucking excited!!!!

Never seen these guys live but they're on a heavy rotation at work for me. I'm also considering going to see them at the 350 Festival in Tinley Park as well, but that'd also be so I could see Iron Chic and Direct Hit!

August/September will be a glorious month for me. I think there's like 6 shows I'm going to. This marks the first!

Also, my favorite song is House on Fire but their earlier albums are great too! Fuck yeah, I'm excited. 

Nice, have fun! I still haven't seen them live, so I'm jealous lol. Let us know how the show goes!

Has anyone here checked out their Summer 2019 Spotify playlist? It's the songs they're going to be listening to on tour this summer. I've discovered some really great songs and artists from it. 

Just an update: the show was great. I had a lot of fun. They played songs off After the Party and On the Impossible Past mainly, but had a few deeper cuts as well. I might go see them again at 350. Tickets are $60 for Saturday but I feel with Iron Chic it might be worth it (still sad Direct Hit moved from Saturday to Friday... so it goes).

I highly recommend checking Mezingers out next time they're in town. It's rare to catch a band in its peak, and I feel if they get any more popular, the venue sizes will grow and the shows will be less intimate. I don't know if they're next album will be as good as the last few (who knows...? it might be better), but I'm happy I got to hear a ton of ATP songs as I could before they inevitably retire some for newer songs.

I'd post pics on here that I took at the show but it always says the file sizes are too big.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Just an update: the show was great. I had a lot of fun. They played songs off After the Party and On the Impossible Past mainly, but had a few deeper cuts as well. I might go see them again at 350. Tickets are $60 for Saturday but I feel with Iron Chic it might be worth it (still sad Direct Hit moved from Saturday to Friday... so it goes).

I highly recommend checking Mezingers out next time they're in town. It's rare to catch a band in its peak, and I feel if they get any more popular, the venue sizes will grow and the shows will be less intimate. I don't know if they're next album will be as good as the last few (who knows...? it might be better), but I'm happy I got to hear a ton of ATP songs as I could before they inevitably retire some for newer songs.

I'd post pics on here that I took at the show but it always says the file sizes are too big.

Did they play any new songs? I figured they'd probably at least play Anna. 

On 7/19/2019 at 2:26 AM, Broken English said:

Menzingers have always been the kings of nostalgic storytelling, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. It's a rare thing to find a band that can make you feel nostalgic for a situation you’ve never lived. 

yea, but they cribbed it from gaslight anthem. still, i like both bands (but not bruce springsteen, go figure).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, daveyjones said:

yea, but they cribbed it from gaslight anthem. still, i like both bands (but not bruce springsteen, go figure).

As a huge Springsteen fan I actually find Gaslight Anthem to be TOO much of a straight up homage most of the time. But yeah I agree GA and Menzingers are both in that similar lane.

4 hours ago, Champ182 said:

As a huge Springsteen fan I actually find Gaslight Anthem to be TOO much of a straight up homage most of the time. But yeah I agree GA and Menzingers are both in that similar lane.

for, the best GA is 59' sound (by far). and the best menzingers is chamberlain waits.

14 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

for, the best GA is 59' sound (by far). and the best menzingers is chamberlain waits.

Gaslight: Sink or Swim

Menzingers: On The Impossible Past ... personally I prefer Rented World but I know it's not the better record.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

I thought the 59' Sound was their best album for the longest time, and it still is arguably their best album, but the reverb and overall production on Brian's voice gets annoying after a while. Alex's guitar work definitely takes a step forward in Handwritten and Get Hurt as well. Sink or Swim is tied for me, if I want a straight up punk album then it's perfect. 

3 hours ago, Speedo said:

Gaslight: Sink or Swim

Menzingers: On The Impossible Past ... personally I prefer Rented World but I know it's not the better record.

On the Impossible Past feels like their Nevermind whereas Rented World is like In Utero. Both amazing albums, but I like the overall consistency and balance of OTIP. 

8 minutes ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

On the Impossible Past feels like their Nevermind whereas Rented World is like In Utero. Both amazing albums, but I like the overall consistency and balance of OTIP. 

In Remission is probably one of my all-time favorite songs and it really boosts the record for me.

5 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I love Rodent.

Might be my favourite tune by them, the lyrics and melody are just so good. 

Transient Love is also really under appreciated I feel. 

Also side note but has anyone else noticed that Greg likes to repeat lyrics from the first song on an album and then in another subsequent song? Like “when we would take rides in your American muscle car, I felt American” in Good Things and then in On the Impossible Past, as well as “all I ever wanted was to make things right” in I Don’t Want to be an Asshole Anymore and then again in Transient Love.