The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

My hot take is that I find this album a little disappointing. It feels like a very safe follow up to After the Party that doesn't do anything they haven't done before better on other records. I like that they went for a darker direction, lyrically, but it also almost feels like a parody of their themes, like the things people meme the Menzingers about. I mean, it's good but the Menzingers are capable of better than just good. Maybe it'll grow on me though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Elisa said:

My hot take is that I find this album a little disappointing. It feels like a very safe follow up to After the Party that doesn't do anything they haven't done before better on other records. I like that they went for a darker direction, lyrically, but it also almost feels like a parody of their themes, like the things people meme the Menzingers about. I mean, it's good but the Menzingers are capable of better than just good. Maybe it'll grow on me though.

I do agree it’s a bit disappointing but agreed, I think it’s a grower. They did experiment a lot more with new guitar tones and writing slower songs though which is a nice change.

• Like 1

I've listened to this album a number of times now and I agree with those of you saying it's a bit disappointing. I really liked all the songs they released before the album, so my hopes were pretty high, but most of the other songs don't really stand out to me. I love London Drugs though.

I like enough songs to keep this album in my rotation for the next little while, so hopefully some other songs grow on me.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, Elisa said:

Parody is a bit harsh, and also, who memes the Menzingers?. 

Theres a few songs that don’t really grab me at me at the moment, but then I’ve never really cared for a lot of their slow songs.

By far the two worst songs on After The Party were  Black Mass and The Bars, and similarly, I don’t particularly care for Hello Exile and I Can’t Stop Drinking on the new one. 

I still think its a pretty awesome release, there’s some amazing tunes on here. 

Definitely, I'm liking this album by far. After The Party was more diverse, sure, but Hello Exile is more 'moody'. It breaths tons of melancholy, and I'm digging it. There are a few really strong songs on there and, as I said, really good melodies and hooks. This guys are pure class.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ghost said:

Definitely, I'm liking this album by far. After The Party was more diverse, sure, but Hello Exile is more 'moody'. It breaths tons of melancholy, and I'm digging it. There are a few really strong songs on there and, as I said, really good melodies and hooks. This guys are pure class.

The more I listen to it, the more I like it. 

They should be a much bigger band than they are.