The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

So I've never gotten into The Menzingers, but on paper it sounds like something I should like. tried spinning them before I didn't really get it.

anyone got a couple of song suggestions for me that might help me get into them? 

Songs: Black Mass, Bad Catholics, Toy Soldier, Charlie's Army... and the new album has some pretty gems too.

Albums: for me, their las 3. After The Party was a total banger for me, and this last too, although is slower, but fucking good.

The newest records are less 'raspy'.

5 hours ago, Kay said:

So I've never gotten into The Menzingers, but on paper it sounds like something I should like. tried spinning them before I didn't really get it.

anyone got a couple of song suggestions for me that might help me get into them? 

Good Things is the song that got me hooked, so I'd recommend that along with Rodent, Your Wild Years, and Livin' Ain't Easy.

Good mentions. After the Party, Burn After Writing, and Rodent have become my favourites over time. 

On the Impossible Past, After the Party, and Rented World are their strongest albums IMO. 

If you want to create a Blink comparable it's kinda like:

Chamberlain Waits = Buddha/Cheshire Cat era (raw and underproduced but lots of heart and character)

On the Impossible Past = Dude Ranch (breakout album, perfect blend of genuine songwriting and just enough production)

Rented World = maybe Self-Titled? It's a bit darker, more mature, and experimental, but it's also an extension of On the Impossible Past. 

After the Party = Enema of the State (polished and peak performance)

Hello Exile doesn't really fit into the mix at this point. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The Menzingers put out another playlist for quarantining. They made a playlist for songs they were listening to on tour during summer 2019, and it was awesome and exposed me to a lot of new artists/songs. Excited to check this one out:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4aNAtyyRm2t75Jo3dqcsdq?si=T1i8lW0gTpudJmvK5XOB4g&fbclid=IwAR2stKEUGV9NmvH9nrdEA2z-tsLtqjy_hgBdfhe2YX5-h70Ca32UUoW_CSE

• Love 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Their newest album, Hello Exile, I wouldn't even consider 'punk' but just rock, based on the majority of the tracks. 

But yeah, I can see how people find them boring. Their lyrics are their greatest strength, which takes multiple listens to appreciate and don't really stand out on the first few times you hear them. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 12:59 AM, Tom Bot said:

Their newest album, Hello Exile, I wouldn't even consider 'punk' but just rock, based on the majority of the tracks. 

But yeah, I can see how people find them boring. Their lyrics are their greatest strength, which takes multiple listens to appreciate and don't really stand out on the first few times you hear them. 

It turns out Hello Exile works better as an acoustic album, I'm enjoying it way more as From Exile than I ever did the former.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Speedo said:

It turns out Hello Exile works better as an acoustic album, I'm enjoying it way more as From Exile than I ever did the former.

Just saw it's on Spotify now, hot damn I'm going to listen to it now. 

With all the issues of Hello Exile, I will say that the band surprised me with how poignant their first political song was in America (You're Freaking Me Out). I originally hated the song (just the melody/instrumentals), but the lyrics definitely won me over. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...