The Menzingers - new album

Broken English

2 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I’d start with On the Impossible Past, it stands out as their strongest album IMO. Then go either After the Party or Rented World (ATP is more produced, both are great though) and then Chamberlain Waits when you get bored of those albums. 

Thanks dude. I'll throw On the Impossible Past when I'm done with lunch and head back into work. I'm sure I'll dig it. 

ATP is great. Love it. Feel like I've been living under a rock since this band exploded. Better late than never.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Thanks dude. I'll throw On the Impossible Past when I'm done with lunch and head back into work. I'm sure I'll dig it. 

ATP is great. Love it. Feel like I've been living under a rock since this band exploded. Better late than never.

After the Party I feel is their ‘Enema of the State’. It’s a pretty great album with no real obvious flaws. 

Rented World is a bit darker, and a bit average as an overall album, though there’s some great tracks  

On The Impossible Past is their breakthrough, full of great songs. ‘Casey’ is absolute magic  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Broken English said:

After the Party I feel is their ‘Enema of the State’. It’s a pretty great album with no real obvious flaws. 

Rented World is a bit darker, and a bit average as an overall album, though there’s some great tracks  

On The Impossible Past is their breakthrough, full of great songs. ‘Casey’ is absolute magic  

ATP is like their Enema. Now I know how the Dude Ranch haters feel coming in so late in the game haha. But seriously I loved the entire On the Impossible Past album. Not a bad song. Gonna give it a few more listens till I have a favorite song etc. Listening to the other album tomorrow night at work. I've been playing ATP and PUP's The Dream is Over a ton at work lately.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Their drop from On The Impossible Past into Nice Things is something. Never fallen so quickly in love with a record as I did when I heard that. 

Agreed - those two tracks are basically like one long song. Kind of like the Hearts All Gone Interlude before HAG starts. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, daveyjones said:

chamberlain waits is my tops but after the party has some stellar tracks and killer production. hell all their albums have good songs. start anywhere.

CW is more rough around the edges for sure, and at times can be a bit jarring in the change of pace/mood of songs. I like it and it has a lot of potential and charm, but I don't think the band really found their groove until subsequent albums. They really hit their stride in writing lyrics and guitar riffs from OTIP onwards, IMO.

1 hour ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

CW is more rough around the edges for sure, and at times can be a bit jarring in the change of pace/mood of songs.

i like it when greg's voice sounds terrible and broken. like on time tables, it's just so raw and he's projecting so much hurt.

though i like all the menzingers' albums, the later ones sound "too good." lookers is just too darn pretty. he gets close to the raw hurt on the title track, a bit, but it's still too clean imo.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2018 at 9:37 AM, daveyjones said:

i like it when greg's voice sounds terrible and broken. like on time tables, it's just so raw and he's projecting so much hurt.

though i like all the menzingers' albums, the later ones sound "too good." lookers is just too darn pretty. he gets close to the raw hurt on the title track, a bit, but it's still too clean imo.

One of my favourite Greg broken voice bits is the part in Rivalries where he screams “hey man I’m on your side”. 

Incidentally, does anyone else ever look at band photos and wonder how they got Jimmy Fallon playing drums for them?

On 12/25/2018 at 2:32 AM, Broken English said:

One of my favourite Greg broken voice bits is the part in Rivalries where he screams “hey man I’m on your side”. 

Incidentally, does anyone else ever look at band photos and wonder how they got Jimmy Fallon playing drums for them?

I think Fallon really loves East Coast rock/punk. I remember watching the Gaslight Anthem play on his show a couple of times and he seemed really enthused on how good their performance was. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I think Fallon really loves East Coast rock/punk. I remember watching the Gaslight Anthem play on his show a couple of times and he seemed really enthused on how good their performance was. 

It’s not really Jimmy Fallon, just that Joe Godino their drummer is a dead-ringer for Fallon haha. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

They released two new tracks on vinyl today - 'No Penance' and 'Cemetery's Garden', recorded during the time they made After the Party (so essentially B sides?). Can't find them anywhere online, anyone have a link/stream? 

I’ve been looking as well, no luck. Hopefully they show up on YouTube or Spotify soon. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

They released two new tracks on vinyl today - 'No Penance' and 'Cemetery's Garden', recorded during the time they made After the Party (so essentially B sides?). Can't find them anywhere online, anyone have a link/stream? 

https://youtu.be/iItXjfAcBIY

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

Fuck I'm so glad this band exists, they really did fill the void Blink left.  On the Impossible Past rivals any Blink album in my view. Lyrically it's probably not even a debate. After the Party is also produced similarly to a Blink album. Tom's guitar riffs in the pre-chorus for Burn After Writing and after the first verse in Thick as Thieves sound like a cross between Tom Delonge and Offspring. 

Any word on a new album? They've only really put out two songs in 2.5 years...

In a recent interview I did to Greg, he confirmed that the new songs they dropped a year ago wouldn't be on the new album, although they kind of set the pace for the record (Toy Soldier and The Freaks). I don't remember if they confirmed it before I asked, but well...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...