Jump to content
 
Sign in to follow this  
Broken English

The Menzingers - new album

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I’d start with On the Impossible Past, it stands out as their strongest album IMO. Then go either After the Party or Rented World (ATP is more produced, both are great though) and then Chamberlain Waits when you get bored of those albums. 

Thanks dude. I'll throw On the Impossible Past when I'm done with lunch and head back into work. I'm sure I'll dig it. 

ATP is great. Love it. Feel like I've been living under a rock since this band exploded. Better late than never.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Thanks dude. I'll throw On the Impossible Past when I'm done with lunch and head back into work. I'm sure I'll dig it. 

ATP is great. Love it. Feel like I've been living under a rock since this band exploded. Better late than never.

After the Party I feel is their ‘Enema of the State’. It’s a pretty great album with no real obvious flaws. 

Rented World is a bit darker, and a bit average as an overall album, though there’s some great tracks  

On The Impossible Past is their breakthrough, full of great songs. ‘Casey’ is absolute magic  

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Broken English said:

After the Party I feel is their ‘Enema of the State’. It’s a pretty great album with no real obvious flaws. 

Rented World is a bit darker, and a bit average as an overall album, though there’s some great tracks  

On The Impossible Past is their breakthrough, full of great songs. ‘Casey’ is absolute magic  

 

 

ATP is like their Enema. Now I know how the Dude Ranch haters feel coming in so late in the game haha. But seriously I loved the entire On the Impossible Past album. Not a bad song. Gonna give it a few more listens till I have a favorite song etc. Listening to the other album tomorrow night at work. I've been playing ATP and PUP's The Dream is Over a ton at work lately.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their drop from On The Impossible Past into Nice Things is something. Never fallen so quickly in love with a record as I did when I heard that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Elisa said:

Their drop from On The Impossible Past into Nice Things is something. Never fallen so quickly in love with a record as I did when I heard that. 

Agreed - those two tracks are basically like one long song. Kind of like the Hearts All Gone Interlude before HAG starts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, daveyjones said:

chamberlain waits is my tops but after the party has some stellar tracks and killer production. hell all their albums have good songs. start anywhere.

CW is more rough around the edges for sure, and at times can be a bit jarring in the change of pace/mood of songs. I like it and it has a lot of potential and charm, but I don't think the band really found their groove until subsequent albums. They really hit their stride in writing lyrics and guitar riffs from OTIP onwards, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

CW is more rough around the edges for sure, and at times can be a bit jarring in the change of pace/mood of songs.

i like it when greg's voice sounds terrible and broken. like on time tables, it's just so raw and he's projecting so much hurt.

though i like all the menzingers' albums, the later ones sound "too good." lookers is just too darn pretty. he gets close to the raw hurt on the title track, a bit, but it's still too clean imo.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 9:37 AM, daveyjones said:

i like it when greg's voice sounds terrible and broken. like on time tables, it's just so raw and he's projecting so much hurt.

though i like all the menzingers' albums, the later ones sound "too good." lookers is just too darn pretty. he gets close to the raw hurt on the title track, a bit, but it's still too clean imo.

One of my favourite Greg broken voice bits is the part in Rivalries where he screams “hey man I’m on your side”. 

 

Incidentally, does anyone else ever look at band photos and wonder how they got Jimmy Fallon playing drums for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2018 at 2:32 AM, Broken English said:

One of my favourite Greg broken voice bits is the part in Rivalries where he screams “hey man I’m on your side”. 

 

Incidentally, does anyone else ever look at band photos and wonder how they got Jimmy Fallon playing drums for them?

I think Fallon really loves East Coast rock/punk. I remember watching the Gaslight Anthem play on his show a couple of times and he seemed really enthused on how good their performance was. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Clar-ke has herpes said:

I think Fallon really loves East Coast rock/punk. I remember watching the Gaslight Anthem play on his show a couple of times and he seemed really enthused on how good their performance was. 

It’s not really Jimmy Fallon, just that Joe Godino their drummer is a dead-ringer for Fallon haha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They released two new tracks on vinyl today - 'No Penance' and 'Cemetery's Garden', recorded during the time they made After the Party (so essentially B sides?). Can't find them anywhere online, anyone have a link/stream? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

They released two new tracks on vinyl today - 'No Penance' and 'Cemetery's Garden', recorded during the time they made After the Party (so essentially B sides?). Can't find them anywhere online, anyone have a link/stream? 

I’ve been looking as well, no luck. Hopefully they show up on YouTube or Spotify soon. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2019 at 10:18 AM, Clar-ke has herpes said:

They released two new tracks on vinyl today - 'No Penance' and 'Cemetery's Garden', recorded during the time they made After the Party (so essentially B sides?). Can't find them anywhere online, anyone have a link/stream? 

 

https://youtu.be/iItXjfAcBIY

 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...