(Album Showdown) WYHSB vs California

Plus-182

(Album Showdown) WYHSB vs California  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Both albums both involve Mark and Travis creating new music without Tom. Which album is your favorite?

• When Your Heart Stops Beating (Plus 44)
    • California (Blink 182)

9 hours ago, Poet Danderson said:

WHYSB for me, Cali is a decent listen but is not as consistent.

People who won't vote and are over thinking it saying they're not comparable etc...Jesus Christ - just vote for what one you enjoy listening to the most rather than writing a fucking essay on why you're not going to vote. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Clearly you don't read the posts then, because at least I explained, how I don't enjoy listening to one the "most," they both fulfill me in very different ways and so depending on where I'm at will determine which album I prefer at that time.  Also i love how my post about it was three sentences long and that qualifies as an essay; wish I went to your school, I'd have gotten A+ for every essay for going above and beyond.

1 hour ago, M!ke said:

Clearly you don't read the posts then, because at least I explained, how I don't enjoy listening to one the "most," they both fulfill me in very different ways and so depending on where I'm at will determine which album I prefer at that time. 

Exactly.  I adore WYHSB, but its so damn depressing I just honestly don't find myself listening to it all that much.  And that makes for an odd comparison.

Not that hard of a concept to grasp.

even though im very happy with california, whysb is by far the superior album for me. from the deeper lyrical content to the more mature style of songs, i adore that record. i've always said it's got mark's best writing on it, and i don't think he'll ever top it either

• Like 3

I think I said it once. WYHSB is a very special record for me. That period in time (october-december 2006) was a very special one too. Is that kind of record that happens in a very concrete and unforgettable moment on your life. The record had an influence on my daily living, and my daily living had an impact in the way I got into the record. Looking it now, ten years later, is absolutely fascinating.

I have nothing but love for that album. And the way it hit me, only happened with a few records more.

• Like 1

On 22/8/2016 at 11:02 PM, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

I don't see any comparison, overall. California sounds better in a certain sense - more professional. But the songwriting and material on the +44 record is, like, magic.

California sounds like 10 years later in recording technology compared with WYHSB, hahaha. That, and overproduced.

WYHSB was so somber and the lyrics were great. Many many quotable lines. Always takes me back during my high school emo days. California is what I've been listening to the most lately since leaked. Gives me a sense of getting over something type of feel. It'll always take me back to when everything great was going in my life, like getting accepted for my masters program and new job. 

I nulled because I'm a blinkbot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nextmarkhoppus44 said:

WYHSB was so somber and the lyrics were great. Many many quotable lines. Always takes me back during my high school emo days. California is what I've been listening to the most lately since leaked. Gives me a sense of getting over something type of feel. It'll always take me back to when everything great was going in my life, like getting accepted for my masters program and new job. 

I nulled because I'm a blinkbot.

Great point on the "getting over something" feel with California. Hadn't thought of it that way and it's true.

• Like 1

I think it's easy to forget how much of a huge leap WYHSB was lyrically for Mark. I mean it's night and day. His songs went from primarily one-dimensional to three-dimensional in a huge way. And the lyrics taken line by line are just witty, sharp, edgy, poignant, and cutting as fuck. What a knockout time for him poetically.

They feel like they're written by a dude who's had way too much caffeine at 6 AM and is somehow tapping into the most beautiful, hilarious, and sad truths of life. He was on a serious fucking roll at that time period.

• Like 3