How the hell did Mark play like this?

Strobber

12 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Do you play?

Because this is not really true. Anyone here who plays  with a bit of rehearsal could easily get the timing down on their songs. I can play along to Blink tracks in perfect time.

yeah I play
I just mean as professional musicians recording ...its hard to track as precise as someone who has recording 12 albums or whatever he has done.  Not his live playing.  

15 hours ago, BigOilyMenInBlack said:

Here's some serious advice for you: DO NOT play your bass with it hanging that low down to your knees or whatever. Tighten up that strap. It's fine every once and a while to do that - but if you make it a habit, it can cause REAL back problems. I do not joke.

that is just pure bullshit, as long as you stand straight/lean back a bit you won't have back problems, i've been playing guitar slung really low for over a year now and im doing the same thing with bass. in fact, i find it really hard to play with it higher because my right shoulder starts to ache really bad and I'm really not precise at hitting the strings unless my guitar or bass is slung really low

olidamus, he has quite some decent lines, you just gotta find them. marlboro man, feeling this, romeo and rebecca has a fun little bass solo, lifes so boring, which isnt even that hard but kind of fast so you get real tired eventually. anthem is another great walking bass line. mutt is fun too. you just gotta find them

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris said:

I'll just leave this here...

Is that meant to really impress people? he's just picking power chords with a couple of extentensions thrown in, it's so easy to play.

The fact he plays a dumbed down version of it live too doesn't exactly speak volumes.

I'll defend him to the high heavens when it comes to song writing but not when it comes to his ability as a standalone bassist.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2016 at 3:14 AM, Strobber said:

that is just pure bullshit, as long as you stand straight/lean back a bit you won't have back problems, i've been playing guitar slung really low for over a year now and im doing the same thing with bass. in fact, i find it really hard to play with it higher because my right shoulder starts to ache really bad and I'm really not precise at hitting the strings unless my guitar or bass is slung really low

Actually, not Bullshit at all. It's a repetitive injury you get over time. Standing straight or leaning back defeats the whole purpose of the style of playing not to mention moves the injury from your lower back to your upper back and shoulder blades. Just because you've been doing it for a year doesn't mean anything. You go ahead and update us after 10 years. 

• Like 1

Mark surely has over 10k hours on the bass.   Making him more of an expert on the instrument than 99% of the population.   

There was a dipshit at sound check yesterday trying to bet mark 15 dollars he could play carousel with his eyes closed.   Be a fan or not.   He's not the best in the world at it but he's better than most just by the sheer amount of time he's played the damn thing.   

11 hours ago, Blink182life-4life said:

Mark surely has over 10k hours on the bass.   Making him more of an expert on the instrument than 99% of the population.   

There was a dipshit at sound check yesterday trying to bet mark 15 dollars he could play carousel with his eyes closed.   Be a fan or not.   He's not the best in the world at it but he's better than most just by the sheer amount of time he's played the damn thing.   

He's played more than 10K hours but he's never pushed himself to play more complicated or creatively. he's spent 10K hours playing the same very basic parts. he's really good at playing the same 4 root notes over and over but that's nothing to be impressed by.

15 hours ago, Speedo said:

Actually, not Bullshit at all. It's a repetitive injury you get over time. Standing straight or leaning back defeats the whole purpose of the style of playing not to mention moves the injury from your lower back to your upper back and shoulder blades. Just because you've been doing it for a year doesn't mean anything. You go ahead and update us after 10 years. 

100% this.

The Feeling This bass part sounds great but Dan is right, it's essentially just alt picking on power chords, it's easy as piss. 

I will say though that Mark does have some 'fun' parts to play even if they are hilariously simple. I love bustin' out Always, Carousel and Man Overboard on bass but he's never written anything someone playing bass for 6 months couldn't master easily. 

He's a good songwriter and his parts work for the band he's in, and you can argue his signature sound and style are pretty cool. I don't think anyone here is denying that but as a bassist on it's own he's incredibly average. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blink182life-4life said:

Again, not necessarily true. You hit a wall with most things and just because you've spent a lot of time doing it doesn't necessarily mean you are advancing with it. I don't see any evidence of Mark taking his bass playing skills to another level. Walking around playing the same Blink songs onstage is not advancing him trust me. Sure, he is good at what he knows, he is surely not some top notch technical bass player. Not even close.

As far as playing in the dark, that is so easy and over rated. Most players aren't staring at their fretboard or stings while playing unless starting out. They might glance every so often, if that.

This topic proves there are a lot of misconceptions about playing an instrument among the people who don't play.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Again, not necessarily true. You hit a wall with most things and just because you've spent a lot of time doing it doesn't necessarily mean you are advancing with it. I don't see any evidence of Mark taking his bass playing skills to another level. Walking around playing the same Blink songs onstage is not advancing him trust me. Sure, he is good at what he knows, he is surely not some top notch technical bass player. Not even close.

As far as playing in the dark, that is so easy and over rated. Most players aren't staring at their fretboard or stings while playing unless starting out. They might glance every so often, if that.

This topic proves there are a lot of misconceptions about playing an instrument among the people who don't play.

Putting him in the top 1% of musicians on the bass isn't really that exclusive.   My feeling is all the have nots that I've known who are musicians are quick to tear down those who have made it.   A jealously thing.   

I'm not foolish enough to say hoppus is the best in the world or close to it.   But I will stand by he's better than a large majority of musicians on the bass for the style of music he plays.   

You are probably correct that he doesn't push himself but if he were too combined with the sheer hours of experience on the instrument he'd easily advance his playing style.   

Sometimes mark seems driven and sometimes he seems complacent and sometimes both at the same time.  It's quite an act to pull off

11 minutes ago, Blink182life-4life said:

Putting him in the top 1% of musicians on the bass isn't really that exclusive.   My feeling is all the have nots that I've known who are musicians are quick to tear down those who have made it.   A jealously thing.   

I'm not foolish enough to say hoppus is the best in the world or close to it.   But I will stand by he's better than a large majority of musicians on the bass for the style of music he plays.   

You are probably correct that he doesn't push himself but if he were too combined with the sheer hours of experience on the instrument he'd easily advance his playing style.   

Sometimes mark seems driven and sometimes he seems complacent and sometimes both at the same time.  It's quite an act to pull off

To the bold, you are giving off the impression that his bass playing skills are nearly the entire piece of the puzzle. As if you tear down those skills, you are saying he sucks as a musician. Far from it. You can be a mediocre bass player and be a great musician. Blink has pulled that off quite well, not just with bass, but with guitar as well.

As far as being one of the best in his genre of bass playing skills, it depends on who we are comparing, there are many different avenues you could take that down. Does pop punk generally have simplistic bass? Sure, sometimes. But even if you use the excuse that "He's pop punk, and they have simplistic bass skills, so he is good by those standards" it doesn't change the fact that overall, his skills on bass aren't that great.

7 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

To the bold, you are giving off the impression that his bass playing skills are nearly the entire piece of the puzzle. As if you tear down those skills, you are saying he sucks as a musician. Far from it. You can be a mediocre bass player and be a great musician. Blink has pulled that off quite well, not just with bass, but with guitar as well.

As far as being one of the best in his genre of bass playing skills, it depends on who we are comparing, there are many different avenues you could take that down. Does pop punk generally have simplistic bass? Sure, sometimes. But even if you use the excuse that "He's pop punk, and they have simplistic bass skills, so he is good by those standards" it doesn't change the fact that overall, his skills on bass aren't that great.

Poor wording I suppose.   I'm saying if there are 20 million bass players on the planet saying hoppus is in the top 200k.  Not that outrageous a statement. 

If we go down the avenue I believe you are suggesting where we factor in song writing,  live presence,  etc then he improves considerably over what his hypothetical ranking as a bass player would be.   

Where I would say it gets messy is comparing genres which you touch on.   I believe he's already established as one of the best musicians in the pop punk genre 

• Like 1

Marks playing is simple, but it gets the job done because blink 182 is mostly guitar driven

Toms guitar playing on the self titled isnt any more intricate or hard to play than previous releases. But the album sounds completely different than toypaj. 

Theyve never needed to be complex because they were creative enough to make album after album without getting stale

Also, now that I think of it, everyone, including pretentious musicians, seem to love the Beatles, but a 4 yr old could play their entire catalogue

• Like 1