Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

I love Brand New more than almost any band but I'm not really sure. A few songs are amazing, and most have something I dig about them, but I've listened multiple times mostly because I know it's new music by a favorite band.

The bizarre Modest Mouse-esque vibes at times made me uncomfortable, like the bottom of the ocean line in Same Logic, I think it was. Really forced.

I think it's a beautiful album but I'm still getting used to it.

4 hours ago, ungroovy said:

I love Brand New more than almost any band but I'm not really sure. A few songs are amazing, and most have something I dig about them, but I've listened multiple times mostly because I know it's new music by a favorite band.

The bizarre Modest Mouse-esque vibes at times made me uncomfortable, like the bottom of the ocean line in Same Logic, I think it was. Really forced.

I think it's a beautiful album but I'm still getting used to it.

See I don't listen to Modest Mouse and I love that line lol. 

For the most part the album is weird but there's not a track I dislike and that's kind of impressive. there's some I just haven't listened to as much and some I'm not fussed on but there's a lot more tracks that I just genuinely like.

I do find the intro and inbetween bits just silly and pretentious, and I don't like the production at times - the fact that its an album with a bunch of acoustic songs yet the guitars sound totally different tonally and quality wise track by track is quite off putting. 

I also find it interesting how at times the songs sound like other bands. 137 makes me think of Nirvana, No Control makes me think of Weezer. I don't think it was intentional, might just be my brain making weird associations but it's interesting. 

I think Desert is my ultimate favourite. I just love it to pieces, Guitar wise, lyrically, the chorus is awesome, the silly high harmonies. just straight up love it. 

• Like 1

I love, love, love Brand New but the Modest Mouse thing has always bothered me. It's in a lot of their post Deja songs and I think they are lazy in that way. Like them stealing from The Eagles or The Jesus Lizard.

This new record sounds fine, I kind of like it (still haven't listened to it all the way). Daisy gets a lot of crap but I'd say 50% of that record is still amazing.

This album is fucking great, love it. Too early to rank it but easily Top 3 maybe best one ever I'm gonna give it about a month before i decide. Would go Deja, Science Fiction and Leaked Demos 2006 as my Top 3 in order atm. Favorite tracks are Desert, Can't Get it Out and Same Logic/Teeth

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boring.........Alright said:

This album is fucking great, love it. Too early to rank it but easily Top 3 maybe best one ever I'm gonna give it about a month before i decide. Would go Deja, Science Fiction and Leaked Demos 2006 as my Top 3 in order atm. Favorite tracks are Desert, Can't Get it Out and Same Logic/Teeth

Damn very close to my thoughts haha

21 minutes ago, SockIt2Me said:

Damn very close to my thoughts haha

I know you mentioned Desert as your favorite which are your others? I don't understand the complaints of it being boring. They've always been slow or have at least a slow buildup (aside from YFW) to an awesome screaming chorus and this is no different. Good to see this album is getting recognition i think it has an 89 on metacritic easily the highest of their career

9 hours ago, Boring.........Alright said:

I know you mentioned Desert as your favorite which are your others? I don't understand the complaints of it being boring. They've always been slow or have at least a slow buildup (aside from YFW) to an awesome screaming chorus and this is no different. Good to see this album is getting recognition i think it has an 89 on metacritic easily the highest of their career

Yeah it's doing really well. I really like In The Water, Can't Get It Out, Same Logic and Could Never Be Heaven... to be honest I like all of them, the only ones I'm not 100% on yet are On The Mana and Batter Up. 

18 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

"I see those boys kissing boys with their mouth in the street " felt like he thought it was a really deep observation, but "times they are a-changing" songs always seem cheesy to me.

What else would boys be kissing boys with if not their mouths? ... he may have thought he was deep but I think he's stupid.

The Times They Are A-Changin' songs are great if they are that one Times They Are A-Changin' song by Bob Dylan.

On 21/8/2017 at 3:41 PM, Kay said:

Definitely different tastes, I love it. Although I can understand why some would struggle with it. 

I'm liking it too. And, funny thing, it reminds me to what Thriced did on the "Water" EP of the "Alchemy Index" series.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2017 at 4:39 AM, ungroovy said:

"I see those boys kissing boys with their mouth in the street " felt like he thought it was a really deep observation, but "times they are a-changing" songs always seem cheesy to me.

Well considering the 'voice' of it is someone closed minded and potentially ignorant, I think that's kind of the point? that its blatant and ridiculous?