Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

I really hope it's not true would be a big blow to me I freaking love this band and just saw them 2 weeks ago. I'm not dismissing the girl, but Skype wasn't invented yet in the time frame she's established. Not doubting her at all , probably true , bit I'm gonna wait for more details to come out. And before people come at me I'm not defending Lacey AT ALL what he's being accused of is disgusting and unacceptable and I will never listen to them again if true. Just want to wait for more details is all

45 minutes ago, bojangles said:

annnnnnnnnnnnd its true

still gonna listen to them tho

It was the best of times... but for now, I can't listen to it without feeling like I'm listening intentionally in spite of what he did.

His statement showed no remorse for the action at hand. It was really fucking gross.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

It was the best of times... but for now, I can't listen to it without feeling like I'm listening intentionally in spite of what he did.

His statement showed no remorse for the action at hand. It was really fucking gross.

its so hard to accept it, I don't agree with any of it. However, for me, their music has helped me through countless times and still does. And I will NEVER forget the listening to the chills that Lit Me Up gave me at ICY when we had our listening party lol. That intro spoke words for me

Just now, bojangles said:

its so hard to accept it, I don't agree with any of it. However, for me, their music has helped me through countless times and still does. And I will NEVER forget the listening to the chills that Lit Me Up gave me at ICY when we had our listening party lol. That intro spoke words for me

The dream is that I'm in some sort of a... and I'm in a hotel I'm at... I'm like at a convention or something. And I feel sort of almost like there's too much going on. There are all different kinds of meetings going on. Stuff on experimental psych and therapy, chemical aspects. All of it.

I wanna go back

1 minute ago, ungroovy said:

The dream is that I'm in some sort of a... and I'm in a hotel I'm at... I'm like at a convention or something. And I feel sort of almost like there's too much going on. There are all different kinds of meetings going on. Stuff on experimental psych and therapy, chemical aspects. All of it.

I wanna go back

meeeee to. (even tho i thought ICY was one of the worst YPAAs) 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Broken English said:

Well, Me vs Maradona vs Elvis has certainly developed some very sinister overtones. 

To be honest that song was always sinister. it's one of the reasons the news didn't surprise me.

but it doesn't make me uncomfortable with listening to BN. I think it's gross, I think it's horrible and will never forgive him but I actually believe his statement on it and I really don't think he'd do those things now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kay said:

To be honest that song was always sinister. it's one of the reasons the news didn't surprise me.

but it doesn't make me uncomfortable with listening to BN. I think it's gross, I think it's horrible and will never forgive him but I actually believe his statement on it and I really don't think he'd do those things now. 

I swear I saw stuff online about him flashing his junk on Skype long ago? like there were screenshots of him flashing it. Anyone else remember that?

14 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah, but I always kind of thought it was dramatised, and more of a fantasy/projection of depression and loneliness than anything else.

Lacey has always had this morose and brooding image, but he could not have been any nicer he night I got to hang out with him and the band. 

To to be honest, the news doesn’t change much for me. 

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Just saw the statement. What an idiot. No words about the girl. Just talking about himself. Fuck off, mate. Fuck off. Will they kick him off as NFG did with Steve? Don't think so.

Probably the lawyers wouldn't let him respond to any direct incidents due to potential lawsuits and shit. This was very carefully worded. Still better than Kevin Spacey's statement. 

8 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

I swear I saw stuff online about him flashing his junk on Skype long ago? like there were screenshots of him flashing it. Anyone else remember that?

He was on Is Anyone Up? That website that would constantly out Warped Tour tier bands and shit all over them, mostly nudes, sometimes nudes of their girlfriends or various famous groupies/side celebrities. I've seen his dick several times. The person he was Skyping in those screenshots wasn't the same person as this scenario, that person was of age.

4 hours ago, vic vinegar said:

Probably the lawyers wouldn't let him respond to any direct incidents due to potential lawsuits and shit. This was very carefully worded. Still better than Kevin Spacey's statement. 

That's actually really true and super important to hear. It hadn't occurred to me that that was the case.

It's hard for me to reconcile because I know that I myself would never do the things now that I did in addiction. In some people's eyes, the things I did would probably be comparable. Nothing likened to exploitation of a minor, but very shitty. I know for a fact that I'm not that person right now.

For now I feel super resentful if this is true. You wrote these songs while you were doing these things, and millions of people allowed that to permeate and help them get through shitty times. It feels like a weird betrayal. I don't wanna hear it right now, really. I didn't pay enough attention to recognize that he was actually a shitty dude doing shitty things outside of his musical self-loathing, even if THIS particular situation isn't true he was still doing a lot of shit, beyond the feud with TBS that was just nutty to me.

That being said, I still believe that songs like Me vs Maradona were narrative in their content. I don't believe even with this allegation that he wrote about a true-to-life situation. I would assume it involves the way he felt he was as a person, as it seems that he was a manipulative and shitty person, but not his actual actions taken. It's just horribly uncomfortable now that he wrote that song and songs like it.

41 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

That's actually really true and super important to hear. It hadn't occurred to me that that was the case.

It's hard for me to reconcile because I know that I myself would never do the things now that I did in addiction. In some people's eyes, the things I did would probably be comparable. Nothing likened to exploitation of a minor, but very shitty. I know for a fact that I'm not that person right now.

For now I feel super resentful if this is true. You wrote these songs while you were doing these things, and millions of people allowed that to permeate and help them get through shitty times. It feels like a weird betrayal. I don't wanna hear it right now, really. I didn't pay enough attention to recognize that he was actually a shitty dude doing shitty things outside of his musical self-loathing, even if THIS particular situation isn't true he was still doing a lot of shit, beyond the feud with TBS that was just nutty to me.

That being said, I still believe that songs like Me vs Maradona were narrative in their content. I don't believe even with this allegation that he wrote about a true-to-life situation. I would assume it involves the way he felt he was as a person, as it seems that he was a manipulative and shitty person, but not his actual actions taken. It's just horribly uncomfortable now that he wrote that song and songs like it.

Hey Beth, I don't know... you being under the influence of some substance may be an attenuation to what you could have done.

It doesn't look the same for Mr. Lacey, who may be sober and did those things repeatedly. Certainly, it smells like shit inside the music industry, and it makes me wonder about the lack of control on the live shows surroundings. I don't know how he things are going right now at some levels, but I remember too the story of Neck Deep. I didn't know about TBS, what happened with them?

Anyway, as I say, I have very strong feelings that this shit is (or awas) more extended than we all think. I hope not, but it looks like it is.

7 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hey Beth, I don't know... you being under the influence of some substance may be an attenuation to what you could have done.

It doesn't look the same for Mr. Lacey, who may be sober and did those things repeatedly. Certainly, it smells like shit inside the music industry, and it makes me wonder about the lack of control on the live shows surroundings. I don't know how he things are going right now at some levels, but I remember too the story of Neck Deep. I didn't know about TBS, what happened with them?

Anyway, as I say, I have very strong feelings that this shit is (or awas) more extended than we all think. I hope not, but it looks like it is.

TBS and Brand New had a feud and they traded some lyrics back and forth. Seventy Times 7 was about it, a couple others too. That was sort of shitty but not this level. I knew Lacey was shitty. A cheater, manipulator, whatever, just didn't think it would extend to a teenager.

I don't think he was physically sober, for starters, but I also think that sex and love addiction is real and ties in heavily to the mental illness that was the reason why he wrote music we like. I wish the behavior didn't match, but there are very unglamorized, terrible sides to any addiction. Here's one of them.

He was NOT OKAY for what he did, if true. It's not acceptable. I can just empathize based on my own experience. I don't mean to come across like it's okay with me to do these things or minimize the issue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

TBS and Brand New had a feud and they traded some lyrics back and forth. Seventy Times 7 was about it, a couple others too. That was sort of shitty but not this level. I knew Lacey was shitty. A cheater, manipulator, whatever, just didn't think it would extend to a teenager.

I don't think he was physically sober, for starters, but I also think that sex and love addiction is real and ties in heavily to the mental illness that was the reason why he wrote music we like. I wish the behavior didn't match, but there are very unglamorized, terrible sides to any addiction. Here's one of them.

He was NOT OKAY for what he did, if true. It's not acceptable. I can just empathize based on my own experience. I don't mean to come across like it's okay with me to do these things or minimize the issue.

Gotcha. Only to be clear: I didn't know exactly what kind of addiction were you talking about. I'm confused, and maybe I don't have to know anything more, but I thought you were talking about drug addiction, not about his sex addiction.

Sorry.

This one actually makes me reassess the band's music to a degree I don't know if I can look at them the same. It just comes off so terribly and it fits a specific narrative that has a lot of subtext to their lyrics. No sir, I don't like it.