Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

Little bit off topic in terms of talking about Brand New, but... the shit continues hitting the fan, or that's what it looks like...

"A woman has shared on Twitter that she was physically assaulted by Kyle of We Came as Romans at a festival three years ago." You can read the thing here.

3 hours ago, ungroovy said:

I said it on fb, but everyone posted so much shit based on one or two word of mouth allegations half the time, and condemned so many people, but then put their lawyer caps on for Jesse Lacey's time to shine. He's nasty, folks.

Further, when all these people I know absolutely wreck shitty artists in the NC music scene based on similar accusations, sometimes just one single allegation, and then they want to talk about both sides of this issue because it's a decent band and Jesse Lacey... Go fuck yourselves.

I am comfortable with my own assessment, and it's the same assessment I'd have of anyone else. If a whole floodgate of women are saying you did some stupid shit, it's probably true, but I am not the arbiter of justice nor a court of law under any circumstance. It's all just my stupid opinion. Whether or not I can deal with what they did is my own deal, and whether or not other people can do the same is NOT my shit to deal with.

i think its insane how some careers are completely ending over these accusations. like you said, if numerous people are saying it, its probably true. but it could be so easy to ruin someone at this point by anonymously calling in somewhere, making up a story, and collecting a check. i do think that some innocent people will lose their jobs at some point as a result of this trend. most of the people accused probably aren't innocent but it could happen especially considering how vengeful the entertainment industry is. 

aside from all of this, i'm able to "separate the art from the artist" in some circumstances if the art means enough to me. entire films or bands shouldn't be erased from history due to the actions of one person. 

The original girl who stated that she was 15 decided to provide proof, that proof being two unanswered emails from after she was 18 in 2007, and a message from the band on Myspace regarding the release of Daisy (a few other fans confirmed that they sent out messages about it at the time).

A whole bunch of people who knew her are saying that she did this with multiple dudes in bands and would brag about it, and she posted on Facebook in 2011 about her first Skype session.

So, he still has a history of shitty behavior and problems with sex, which he's been in treatment and sobriety for for years before he got "caught", but it looks an awful lot like he is not a child predator.

• Like 1

Being 17 when someone asks you for nudes is a little different than being 15, but I understand why it seems wrong and I agree that it was.

I guess it doesn't matter if she's telling the truth or not. I can't really grasp why all of this is put together to be such a bizarre, shitty narrative, but it doesn't matter. Further, if this is all stuff being taken out of context and fabricated by crazed Brand New fans, that just makes this all the more shitty and disappointing as a conclusion to their career.

I get what you mean, Beth. Totally. And I must add that some girls, those years, acted on purpose. Can you imagine how cool could've been to snag 'that' frontman from 'that' band? I mean, I've seen it at a few small shows here in my hometown. Specially when bands as Sun Eats Hours, back in the day, hit the city.

Of course, that's never an excuse for anyone to get advantage of that situation.

• 1 month later...

It's been a couple of months now since the jesse lacey bullshit, and I still haven't managed to listen to songs from Deja Entendu or YFW. I used to listen to their music almost every day. How crazy is that?

But I also realised I don't think I have a problem with The Devil and God, Daisy and the new album and I still can listen to them when those songs come up on shuffle. 

39 minutes ago, Elisa said:

It's been a couple of months now since the jesse lacey bullshit, and I still haven't managed to listen to songs from Deja Entendu or YFW. I used to listen to their music almost every day. How crazy is that?

But I also realised I don't think I have a problem with The Devil and God, Daisy and the new album and I still can listen to them when those songs come up on shuffle. 

... that's kinda weird. if you took issue with listening to his music surely it'd be all his music, not just some of it?

Is it because deja and YFW are near the years of the accusations? because it's not like he's a different Jesse later on.

I'm listening to BN fine tbh, I think it's despicable and I won't think of Jesse personally in the same way again but my interaction with their music has little to do with him directly, more my own interpretation of the art itself - I spent years identifying to their music, that isn't going to stop now that I know this. 

34 minutes ago, Kay said:

... that's kinda weird. if you took issue with listening to his music surely it'd be all his music, not just some of it?

Is it because deja and YFW are near the years of the accusations? because it's not like he's a different Jesse later on.

I'm listening to BN fine tbh, I think it's despicable and I won't think of Jesse personally in the same way again but my interaction with their music has little to do with him directly, more my own interpretation of the art itself - I spent years identifying to their music, that isn't going to stop now that I know this. 

I don't think I have a big problem with what happened because I always knew he was a problematic guy, he based his entire career on problematic and weird lyrics, and all I care about is just the music. The bold part is also how I feel about music in general and I still love all the YFW and Deja songs but maybe I'm just a little bit put off by it and I don't feel like listening to them right now because I am dissociating - those two albums are a clear picture of him at the time while the themes of the other three are more about trying to be a different person and seeking real redemption. But I'll come around, I love Brand New.

(Science Fiction was still one of the best records of 2017 despite the controversy that has completely knocked it off of everyone's year end lists. It's mind boggling to me that everyone is pretending it doesn't exist when those same people couldn't stop talking about it from the release leading up to the scandal)