Brand New's Brand New Record

Kay

This album...it's very good, I'm just not sure how good. Need more time with it.

The only album I really like from BN is The Devil and God (which is basically a perfect album), but Deja Entendu certainly has its moments. Not sure this will map up to TDAG is it seems to be less cohesive to me right now, but there's a lot to uncover here.

This record is a grower for sure. It's still too soon to talk about favourite songs and other stuffs. A few listens aren't enough to really soak in all the lyricism. But at the moment I am stuck on Lit Me Up, it's chilling, beautifully haunting. And Waste is probably the best song of the album. Or maybe it's Same Logic. I don't know. But they are two great songs where Brand New really shines. 

When I listen to the last one, it seems very fitting that what could well be the band's final song is one last existential self-questioning about abandoning this once and for all. Concerns of legacy and pressure and somber tones... Batter Up amplifies the sadness until it hushes out and you can totally feel that that's the probable end of Brand New. And if that's really it, and Science Fiction is the culmination of everything since YFW, then I'm beyond fulfilled. 

I already miss Brand New. 

• Like 2

I think Desert, In The Water, Same Logic and Lit Me Up are pretty damn good, and I quite like Cant Get It Out, Could Never Be Heaven and No Control but I need more time with the others.

Lit Me Up is fucking brilliant. I get vibes from the Cure. Love it when bands try sound like that. I never really liked Daisy and the Devil and God are Raging Inside Me. I've tried listening to them. I wanna like them but just can't get into them the way I did with Deja. Science Fiction on the other hand I enjoyed listening to.