California Nominated for Best Rock Album

Nasa

18 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

Lmao. There is literally nothing you and Matt Skiba share, besides being human males. 

Oh you know me personally right? LOL

If it isn't easy to find someone else how was Blink able to take random people out of the crowd and form their onstage band just like magic, Green Day does it every single night too.

21 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Oliver Ass Talking 101

Stupid one liners.

You know that 50% of me liking Blink is learning their music right? Any musician can attest to this; by you not knowing dick about how to play an instrument, you are sorely missing out on about half of what Blink has to offer. Not being able to nail WMAA on guitar, and doing an amazing Travis Barker Dumpweed tom roll, or maybe some cymbal splash fills in Adam's song.

Sorry you can't appreciate that side of things, and I mean that honestly. But don't pretend to know what you know nothing about.

Your ego is out of control Oliver. You really need to look at yourself in the mirror if you think you could join blink-182 and be just as successful as Matt Skiba.

The fact that I had to type that sentence is mind boggling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Your ego is out of control Oliver. You really need to look at yourself in the mirror if you think you could join blink-182 and be just as successful as Matt Skiba.

The fact that I had to type that sentence is mind boggling.

Ok, so how was Blink able to pull a band together out of like 30 random people if its hard Ghent?

Its like talking to a brick wall with you.

Not trying to be insulting, but you don't know anything about playing music, so I am confused as to why you'd pretend to know what you are talking about. Would you argue with a brain surgeon that you know more on the subject than him?

Really the only one being arrogant here is you; pretending for a second that you know more about music than someone who been playing it now for 21 years. LOL

Just now, Olidamus said:

Ok, so how was Blink able to pull a band together out of like 30 random people if its hard Ghent?

Its like talking to a brick wall with you.

Not trying to be insulting, but you don't know anything about playing music, so I am confused as to why you'd pretend to know what you are talking about. Would you argue with a brain surgeon that you know more on the subject than him?

Really the only one being arrogant here is you; pretending for a second that you know more about music than someone who been playing it now for 21 years. LOL

I've been playing guitar since 6th grade. Not very good, but I can slay those blink riffs! Completely irrelevant.

You seriously think you could be in blink-182 man. You're losing your god damn mind. If you were in blink-182 they would instantly become the lamest band of all time lol.

The idea that you are some kind of great musician to the point that you try to shame others is laughable. You're a joke.

• Like 2

I always liked your view on things Oliver and I rarely agree with ghent on a lot of thing posted here.. but i gotta agree with him on this one.

you keep dropping crazy nonesense just for the sake of winning your argument here... can we please change the subject here?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olidamus said:

A lot of pop music is just that: You got the looks, the got the voice, you got the songwriter, you got the manager, you got lucky.

blink's fame in a nutshell. they came from a scene loaded with far better bands. but they were attractive, willing to write full-on pop that TRL would lap up, and had a GREAT manager AND got very lucky. they were in the right place at the right time. they had the looks, the voice, the manager, and the luck.

...and until quite recently, wrote the bulk of their own material.

23 minutes ago, RAX said:

Co writing doesnt mean "wrote for"

so if taylor or blink have co writers it doesnt mean they sit in the corner while a song is written for them. I know it sounds complicated to understand but thats how it is. 

Right, and this is where I'd love to be a fly on the wall at Feldmann's studio while the album was being written. Truth is, none of us really know how much input Feldmann had. Did he help with a lyric or two on each song? Did he help Mark think of a word that rhymes with "______" (fill in the blank)? Did he create entire songs/choruses/bridges by himself? Did he create the BTD guitar riff that was used? Did he just inspire the guys creatively, and bounce ideas during writing sessions? We may never know, but from a purist point of view such as Oliver's, it doesn't matter. The fact that they had any help is enough to taint the entire album for those who feel that way.

From the album credits, and comments made by the band/Feldmann, it's clear Feldy had a decent input in the writing process. I know I wouldn't brag about "co-writing" an album on a red carpet Grammy interview if I just helped them rhyme a few words.

Would it make it any better if if we knew John just helped on 2 songs? Maybe just 30% of the album? Just the bridges? Just the choruses? Had no guitar input? I don't think it would really matter. The vast majority of people listening could care less and have no idea. (Just as I have no idea who Beyonce/Taylor Swift use to co-write their crap), then you have those who know and aren't bothered, and then those who know and see it is an issue with artistic integrity. It's just differences of opinion from a very small minority of people who take time out of the day to discuss it. It's best to just try and understand where others are coming from, and let them believe what they want!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

You seriously think you could be in blink-182 man. You're losing your god damn mind. If you were in blink-182 they would instantly become the lamest band of all time lol.

He is just saying that once people start writing your songs you are merely a puppet in his opinion, and that anyone with guitar/vocal skills could step in. 

39 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

blink's fame in a nutshell. they came from a scene loaded with far better bands. but they were attractive, willing to write full-on pop that TRL would lap up, and had a GREAT manager AND got very lucky. they were in the right place at the right time. they had the looks, the voice, the manager, and the luck.

Good stuff. There were a ton of bands with pretty similar styles (some with a lot more TRL/bubblegum flavor) at that point but I'd also add that their personalities were a HUUUGE part of standing out in the crowd as well. The fact that super catchy pop punk was being played by decently handsome dudes who acted like characters right out of a classic comedy movie made it a perfect mix. I think the way they presented their friendship and chemistry and insanely goofy antics set them apart. A lot of bands tried to emulate that vibe after but couldn't pull it off as well because Blink were naturals at it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghent said:

I've been playing guitar since 6th grade. Not very good, but I can slay those blink riffs! Completely irrelevant.

The idea that you are some kind of great musician to the point that you try to shame others is laughable. You're a joke.

You are saying a whole lot of bullshit without refuting a single bit of anything.

Other than the songwriting abilities (which is 99% of it) if someone can sing, play guitar, and has stage presence. WTF does Matt Skiba have that they don't have.

Be very very specific and tell me.

You keep dodging my question, if it is hard, how was Blink 182 able to pick out 3 random guys from a crowd of 30 people that sounded amazing without a shread of practice. Be specific, answer the question, and stop the bullshit.

2 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

He is just saying that once people start writing your songs you are merely a puppet in his opinion, and that anyone with guitar/vocal skills could step in. 

Except no one ever started writing blink's songs. They had a co-writer with 25% songwriting credits.

Can someone please photoshop Oliver with the band instead of Skiba? Just the thought slays me.

51 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

Nah, don't buy the whole "there were better bands out there unwilling to be successful". Nonsense. You saying there are bands out there that exist and are unwilling to sell out for millions? Mark use to call those people "liars".

Maybe there are a couple, but few and far between.

Blink had something many bands didn't have, there was some luck involved, there always is, but they had talent. As far as looks, not sure where that comes from, they never market sex appeal like Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, and much of pop music.

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

You are saying a whole lot of bullshit without refuting a single bit of anything.

Other than the songwriting abilities (which is 99% of it) if someone can sing, play guitar, and has stage presence. WTF does Matt Skiba have that they don't have.

Be very very specific and tell me.

You can dodging my question, if it is hard, how was Blink 182 able to pick out 3 random guys from a crowd fo 30 that sounded amazing without a shread of practice. Be specific, answer the question, and stop the bullshit.

Matt Skiba is cool and you're not?

I mean honestly.  I am not fucking cool enough to join Blink just because I can play guitar/sing, and neither are you. 

• Like 1