What do you want for the next blink album?

Cheerios4u98

I was thinking about what future blink music might sound like, and while I could write a nice long list of things I want blink to do on their next release, I think one of the main things I want is to get a song that's just Matt on vocals. Honestly, Matt doesn't feel quite like a full-time real blink member yet, but I think giving him his own song would help that a bit. There are some songs on California where he takes the lead, but we used to get songs that were just Tom or just Mark all the time, and I'd like to see a song like that with Matt.

What are some specifics you want from blink on the next album?

• Like 1

Most specifically on the next album I'd like to hear a whole lot more Tom DeLonge, and absolutely none of Matt Skiba , I'd like some catchy lead rifts, better lyricism ... and for them to stop making lazy music videos/music videos in highschools or with teenagers in it. I'd also like Feldmann to not be in the picture, at all...Thats what I want.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Live Fast Die Fun said:

Most specifically on the next album I'd like to hear a whole lot more Tom DeLonge, and absolutely none of Matt Skiba , I'd like some catchy lead rifts, better lyricism ... and for them to stop making lazy music videos/music videos in highschools or with teenagers in it. I'd also like Feldmann to not be in the picture, at all...Thats what I want.

This is my ultimate dream but there is no chance it's going to happen.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with Feldy being the producer if he sits back and allows blink to just write the songs themselves. He shouldn't have to be in the studio every single time blink record either. Would be great if he could hear blink ideas and tell them if a specific part works or not instead of suggesting full song ideas.

I agree that blink needs more of a Skiba influence. There were times listening to the California album where I'd just think "this is so fucking Trio" and I'd be loving it. The second verse of San Diego is the biggest example. I want some full Skiba songs and some full Mark songs. Maybe some call and response songs like Feeling This, Pathetic, Up All Night, Stockholm Syndrome etc.

Also none of this All Time Low, Fall Out Boy crap that they tried to do at times on California. Would rather them write what currently influences them. Ideally, I'd love them to be dark songs but they don't need to be. More experimenting would be pretty cool too. Like the Los Angeles intro and Left Alone verses. Just genuine songs without the thought of "let's try to make a hit song".

Hopefully less generic stuff going on. More riffs. Less of them clean lead guitars that's on the verses of Bored to Death, San Diego, SOOHM, No Future.

I'd also want Feldy to leave Mark alone more instead of telling him to write lyrics right off the bat. Mark's lyrics are way better when he's overthinking and taking his time with it. Skiba is also a great lyricist IMO and I'm very surprised California outside a couple of songs wasn't strong lyrically. None of the cheesy teenage shit. I get blink aren't masters with lyrics but they really stepped that part up beginning from 2003 and onwards. +44 is the biggest example.

I want the next album to be unique. California doesn't sound unique to me. Maybe a couple of songs, but that's all. Would be cool if they did something similar to the cheetah videos too.

That's all I could ask for I think. Oh and less woahs. In fact, no woahs.

• Like 3

More songs like San Diego.

More some slow melancholic songs like fighting the gravity, little death, weatherman or even alkaline trio style like sadie or kiss you to death.

More "screaming" like Mark promised us for California. Or in general more rawness on the vocals.

A fast ripping punk rock song, in the vein of goddamnit but I don't think Matt is not capable of writing something like this anymore. And Mark never wrote anything like this.

I think if they actually start writing while they're on tour, the result would be much better. I think they would get much more inspiration and feel more genuine than being trapped for 6 months in studios. 

• Like 2

They basically already did this before, but I love if they went darker again and a bit heavier and went outside the box, especially with Matt around. Some fans would probably hate this, but I would respect Matt a lot if he stepped up a bit and acted like this was his band. I would like some more of Matt screaming and hell Mark getting a little intense wouldn't hurt anybody.

Although, I would really crave something like the lovechild from +44 (Mark) and Heavens (Matt). These would blend together so well. I always loved the more experimental songs of +44 and Heavens almost sounds like +44 but Matt singing lead. It's a perfect fit.

Whatever way it goes, I just hope the next music that comes out from all three of them is honest and heartfelt and something that wasn't made up upon the spot or something that could've been a lot more. I really think Feldmann should lay off a bit and let the band help themselves. Matt should play whatever the hell he wants and if it's not good enough (EX: song may need a good riff to give it an extra punch), then Mark should step in and do some riffing. I would not care at all if someone records instruments that they usually don't play in the band, as long as it came from the band members themselves, Matt, Mark, and Travis. I hope FELDMANN and the boys have paid attention to the critiques of the album and didn't let the Grammy nomination just mean they should just rinse and repeat, I hope they fix the flaws of California with whatever they release next (I would hope with these upcoming songs they're releasing but I doubt it TBH). When California was leaked I called it my favorite Blink album, it did not last long after a few months. I still find joy in some songs and it was a fun album, which I assume was the intention.

PS: We indeed need some more solo songs and no woahs, la's, na's (na's were ok but I'd prefer if they were none), ahla's, and whatever noise they can think of.

• Like 1

Californi a was: back to that classic big production like TOYPAJ....but even more polished.  It was fun, it was good, but it was safe. a poppunk summer record.

Now i want the 3 to get in the studio without outside help and get experimental...a little dark, a little less typical song structures and cliches.

mark and matt are both good at dark lyrics....it will shine through when it does....that stuff will happen for sure

• Like 3

More of Matt's influence (songwriting, singing, screaming) 

More dark songs (Mark and Matt are both able to write great dark songs) 

Better and more meaningful lyrics

Less Feldy. I don't think he was a bad choice as a producer. I just really hope he's going to be less involved in the writing process in the future.

I would actually rather have 10-12 great songs, than 15 songs.

If they're going with songs like San Diego, Cynical and Los Angeles, I'm really positive that the next record is going to be huge. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Loudernow said:

More of Matt's influence (songwriting, singing, screaming) 

More dark songs (Mark and Matt are both able to write great dark songs) 

Better and more meaningful lyrics

Less Feldy. I don't think he was a bad choice as a producer. I just really hope he's going to be less involved in the writing process in the future.

I would actually rather have 10-12 great songs, than 15 songs.

If they're going with songs like San Diego, Cynical and Los Angeles, I'm really positive that the next record is going to be huge. 

THIS. 

That is word for word what I want from the next album. 

• Mark only/Matt only songs. This will make the mixed songs between them stand out more, imo.
  • Mark overthinking lyrics. I know he acted like it was bad that he thought too much about them, but why not make sure they're as good as possible?
  • More experimental stuff. I thought Matt had a lot of bright points on California, but I know blink didn't utilize him as much as they could have. I don't listen to Trio much, but I really like how Matt sounds when he sings dark lyrics softly, if that makes sense. It just feels like they can use Matt's vocals in a way that they couldn't have pulled off with any version of Tom, which would give us a unique album.
  • Less whoa's/nas. I don't mind them if they sound good, but they were definitely overdone on California.
  • Angrier stuff. Why not?

All in all, even though I liked California a lot, I just don't want a similar album. One of the things I love about this band is that every album seems like it represents them in a different era. We'd all see right through it if they felt too much like playing it safe and "preserving their legacy." I know this isn't likely, but maybe the deluxe version of California has darker/different songs. Maybe while they were in the studio, they had a mixed bag of songs and chose to go with the upbeat, poppier batch to make themselves relevant again, while they shelved the stuff that didn't fit for the deluxe album. I always think back to that one Mark interview when he was asked if they were "going for" the throwback sound on this record, and he said the key was just to not be afraid to go that route. They're capable of making a different record, but the question is whether or not they will. I don't think Feldmann is as controlling as people make him out to be, but if the next record shows a similar formula then I'll agree with those people. Either way, sign me up for new blink any day. :)

• Like 1

For me is easy: less bullshit on production, less overcook everything and more rock 'n' roll. Mark said in almost all the interviews that they didn't overthought the songs, you know.... the thing about Feldmann pushing them to write, write, write. But to me, the absolute paradox, was to see how much time he (Feldy) and his engineer dedicated to create the sound after the tracks were recorded. So yeah, basically I would like to see them going on a more straight forward path. A la Foo Fighters on Wasting Light. I'm not saying they have to record on tape, I'm talking about the approach. I want less fireworks and more real shit. I mean, they did it in Enema. That record was very well produced, not overproduced.

• Like 1

I want them to actually write alone with the three of them in a room together with their instruments. actually jam out songs all together, write them collectively and work out in a rough raw setting whether they can actually hit the bloody notes. 

If they write the best songs they can in that setting, they could be phenomenal when you add the bells and whistles in production afterwards.

We won't get a record without Feldmann, but I'd love a record without Feldmann, or basically anyone who isn't pop focused. I'm sick and tired of rock albums where the guitars and drums are so weighed down by synth that they don't punch you in the face and break through anymore. the guitar work on California just has no punch in the mix and thats a big mistake. Blink is clever ridiculous drums, punchy guitars and smooth ass bass. California lost that in production in basically every way. 

I don't necessarily want a 'darker' record, I just want a more honest one. two of the best tracks on the record are Cynical and San Diego - and their two of the best, and more real songs on it. Hell, HISALP (which I'm not a fan of) has some great lyrics and has a great sentiment. I'd adore the song if the production wasn't so difficult to sit through.

It doesn't have to be dark to be relatable, or mature, or just generally deeper. I just want some care to go into the song meanings, which is what Mark used to be all about - he seemed to lose that this time around. 

So yeah, less 'polished' production, write the damn songs together in an old school band room way, and actually put some thought into what the songs are actually about.

We won't get that, but that's what I'd like. 

• Like 2

In a perfect world for me, Tom would rejoin in good health and Skiba would stick around too. They'd write a fun, catchy album with Feldmann that takes more risks.

The deluxe edition songs will play a pretty big role in my final opinion on this.

OR just kick Skiba out, sign Feldmann up as lead guitar/lead vocals and let's do this!!! :)