California Deluxe Album

Ghent

2 hours ago, Ghent said:

My hunch is that the deluxe will be full of "grower" type songs. Both Parking Lot and Misery are getting better for me with time, while the original California songs stuck with me from first listen.

I think HISALP and Sober could be bigger than BTD and SOOHM were last year. So I don't expect the deluxe to have any songs that are obvious "hits." They should be good in that department to ride through another year, using the singles and the Deluxe to boost their album sales.

Parking Lot is in contention for worst Blink song ever released..

• Like 4

I remember getting blown away by Asthenia. So fresh. Obviously Feeling This was immense and also fresh.

Violence was the grower for me. After getting used to the verses it became a favorite.

Stockholm I liked a lot.. But it has really grown on me even more for some reason lately.. I never payed attention to just how great the writing is at the time.. But I truly think it's tied for Blink's best song. It's a masterpiece imo.

I just really got a new appreciation for The Only Thing That Matters today.  It was always one of those kind of meh tracks for me, but its actually started to really grow on me, especially the more that I actually listen to the lyrics.  It reminds me a lot of Kaleidoscope in that regard.  I don't think its as good as Kaleidoscope (which I honestly think is one of their all around best songs), but I find myself liking it more and more the more that I really listen to it.

20 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

The Only Thing That Matters is Don't Leave Me's ugly sister with acne and a fishy vag.

I used to think little of it as well.  Same goes for Kaleidoscope as I was explaining too.  Crazy how things can change for music in that regard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ghent said:

haha i did the same. I listened to it on my minidisc player every morning before school. Yep, minidisc.

Jesus, I still remember listening to Good Charlotte's Young and the Hopeless album on a minidisc whilst on holiday once, sat besides the pool as I hated swimming. Totally forgot about minidiscs until you just mentioned them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

Parking Lot is in contention for worst Blink song ever released..

I always thought Sober sucked then I heard Parking Lot and that makes Sober more bearable for me. I'd rather listen to that Moves Like Jagger song over Parking Lot.

I typically understand where the hate for particular blink songs come from (Fighting the Gravity, This Is Home, Pretty Little Girl (people typically do like this, but if they don't, I know why, its the Yelawolf rap), The Fallen Interlude, lots of the earlier songs like Strings, etc. etc.)  With Parking Lot, I just don't get the hate.  I can understand it doing little for you, but to say its one of their worst songs just doesn't make sense to me, its a fun and catchy song.  Sure, its lacking in originality, and a far cry away from the best blink songs ever, but I don't find anything about it particularly offensive or disappointing, if I hear it come on in the background while I'm playing video games, I'm not going to rage and immediately change the track or anything silly like that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, M!ke said:

I used to think little of it as well.  Same goes for Kaleidoscope as I was explaining too.  Crazy how things can change for music in that regard.

I know what you're saying regarding Kaleidoscope. When I first heard it, I thought it was just a solid song. Didn't hate it. I liked it, but it was one of those songs where I wasn't amazed or anything. I was amazed by some other Neighborhoods tracks. Then a year later, I just found a new appreciation for Kaleidoscope. I just started to think "this song is actually fucking great, you know?"

Now it's one of my favourite ever songs, not just in blink's catalogue but out of music in general. The Only Thing That Matters, when I first heard it, I didn't like it. I just found it boring but I don't hate it. The songs I despise are Sober, Rabbit Hole, Parking Lot, California, She's Out of Her Mind. Straight away, I hated those songs, and today I still cannot stand them.

The Only Thing That Matters is just a song that sounds like a complete filler track to me. It's not an awful song though, and it definitely gives off the 99-01 blink vibe, but it sounds like another Don't Leave Me, and it doesn't do it nowhere near as good as that song IMO. Maybe over time I'll learn to appreciate it more, I definitely don't hate it though.

I can never judge a song when I first hear it. I truly find out what I think of it a year or 2 after it's release, although the ones I despise I'll never appreciate haha. I thought Misery was just ok when I first heard it, but that's growing on me more. Growing on me the way San Diego did (which to me is California's equivalent of Kaleidoscope, I heard it and thought it was ok, now I just love it). But Misery is still fairly new, so I'll wait for another year before I can find out if I love it or not haha.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, M!ke said:

I typically understand where the hate for particular blink songs come from (Fighting the Gravity, This Is Home, Pretty Little Girl (people typically do like this, but if they don't, I know why, its the Yelawolf rap), The Fallen Interlude, lots of the earlier songs like Strings, etc. etc.)  With Parking Lot, I just don't get the hate.  I can understand it doing little for you, but to say its one of their worst songs just doesn't make sense to me, its a fun and catchy song.  Sure, its lacking in originality, and a far cry away from the best blink songs ever, but I don't find anything about it particularly offensive or disappointing, if I hear it come on in the background while I'm playing video games, I'm not going to rage and immediately change the track or anything silly like that.

Oh, I don't rage if I hear it haha. I don't really skip songs on albums tbh, but I do make playlists to make my own album of blink songs and other bands songs as well.

I've always been the opposite about them kind of songs. Heard Fighting the Gravity and instantly loved it, same with Pretty Little Girl (although that rap I think is too out of place, they could've had another song. Some Violence-esque song, just found that rap too forced that's all. But I do love experimental blink, and I tend to not like bands sticking with the same sound or going back to an older sound. It's why I don't listen to bands like Offspring, New Found Glory etc as they've never really changed.

I've also kind of stopped liking pop punk music as well, apart from the old songs. Will always love Dude Ranch & Enema. Probably weird that I say that cause blink to me is the face of pop punk music, but obviously they changed throughout the years, and I fell in love with the experimental side of blink. Took me a good 3-4 years to appreciate the smiley face album, cause before that I just listened to mainstream pop punk music. So hearing songs like Violence, All of This, Fallen Interlude, I'm Lost Without You, Stockholm etc, I just thought "what the hell?" when I first heard them haha.

But my taste has completely changed, and I no longer like pop punk music unless it's the old songs. So if I wanna listen to pop punk, I'll listen to the old Offspring albums, old blink albums, old Green Day, early New Found Glory and all. But blink is pretty much the band I love. They're the reason why I write music and play music. My biggest influences and their music is pretty much my life, hence why I'll never stop following them, even if I didn't really enjoy California too much.

Just now, Nosferatu said:

Oh, I don't rage if I hear it haha. I don't really skip songs on albums tbh, but I do make playlists to make my own album of blink songs and other bands songs as well.

I've always been the opposite about them kind of songs. Heard Fighting the Gravity and instantly loved it, same with Pretty Little Girl (although that rap I think is too out of place, they could've had another song. Some Violence-esque song, just found that rap too forced that's all. But I do love experimental blink, and I tend to not like bands sticking with the same sound or going back to an older sound. It's why I don't listen to bands like Offspring, New Found Glory etc as they've never really changed.

I've also kind of stopped liking pop punk music as well, apart from the old songs. Will always love Dude Ranch & Enema. Probably weird that I say that cause blink to me is the face of pop punk music, but obviously they changed throughout the years, and I fell in love with the experimental side of blink. Took me a good 3-4 years to appreciate the smiley face album, cause before that I just listened to mainstream pop punk music. So hearing songs like Violence, All of This, Fallen Interlude, I'm Lost Without You, Stockholm etc, I just thought "what the hell?" when I first heard them haha.

But my taste has completely changed, and I no longer like pop punk music unless it's the old songs. So if I wanna listen to pop punk, I'll listen to the old Offspring albums, old blink albums, old Green Day, early New Found Glory and all. But blink is pretty much the band I love. They're the reason why I write music and play music. My biggest influences and their music is pretty much my life, hence why I'll never stop following them, even if I didn't really enjoy California too much.

Oh don't get me wrong, I actually like most the songs I listed (except This Is Home and to a lesser extent Strings).  I just see those songs mentioned a lot when people talk about blink songs they don't like.  And I can understand why they don't like those songs, even though I personally do like them a lot (especially Fighting the Gravity, I get the hate that it gets and where it comes from but I really do love that song a lot).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, M!ke said:

Parking Lot is the epitome of everything bad about Cali era.  Cringe awful lyrics, pretending to be teenagers, a yelling Matt Skibba, Nana/whoas fetish, filler track, written in 20 minutes, embarrassing guitar riffs and tone,  Mark sober/soohm style verse, recycled riff, overproduced everything, over bearing drums.

With NO redeeming qualities.  

Badsongs on Cali that you can 'point' to why (Sober being so poppy, KOTW having an awful premise) at least had some Blink moment to them or were bad but so out there, they at least were trying something new.  Don't get me wrong Kings of the weekend is a shit pre packaged song, but it wasn't a shit pre packaged song just following an album full of them.

It really was bad timing too. The first release of the deluxe, crushing a ton of people's hopes Cali's shittiness wasn't going to carry on forward.

It's honestly the worst Blink song if you had to make me pick.

• Like 2

Just now, M!ke said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I actually like most the songs I listed (except This Is Home and to a lesser extent Strings).  I just see those songs mentioned a lot when people talk about blink songs they don't like.  And I can understand why they don't like those songs, even though I personally do like them a lot (especially Fighting the Gravity, I get the hate that it gets and where it comes from but I really do love that song a lot).

Yeah, I get that too. Can understand if people don't like the weird side of blink. And This is Home is filler to me as well funnily enough. One of those rushed tracks that Tom forced on blink.

Just now, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

Parking Lot is the epitome of everything bad about Cali era.  Cringe awful lyrics, pretending to be teenagers, a yelling Matt Skibba, Nana/whoas fetish, filler track, written in 20 minutes, embarrassing guitar riffs and tone,  Mark sober/soohm style verse, recycled riff, overproduced everything, over bearing drums.

With NO redeeming qualities.  

Badsongs on Cali that you can 'point' to why (Sober being so poppy, KOTW having an awful premise) at least had some Blink moment to them or were bad but so out there, they at least were trying something new.  Don't get me wrong Kings of the weekend is a shit pre packaged song, but it wasn't a shit pre packaged song just following an album full of them.

It really was bad timing too. The first release of the deluxe, crushing a ton of people's hopes Cali's shittiness wasn't going to carry on forward.

It's honestly the worst Blink song if you had to make me pick.

Well to each their own.  If it has no redeeming qualities, I'm not sure why I enjoy it then, and frankly I don't care to know why I enjoy it, I just know that I do, and that's really all that matters.  The complaints people have for it "cringe lyrics, remembering being a teenager, the na na nas, etc. etc." have all been things that I've enjoyed from blink in the past, so those points again are going to be lost on me.

3 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Yeah, I get that too. Can understand if people don't like the weird side of blink. And This is Home is filler to me as well funnily enough. One of those rushed tracks that Tom forced on blink.

Thing is I genuinely do like the verses of This Is Home, but its that damn chorus that just ruins it for me.  Its literally the same problem I have with Good Day by Angels and Airwaves.  But at least with Good Day, it really seems like Tom at least has the right cadence for what the chorus should sound like just the wrong words, for This Is Home, I really think they needed a completely different sounding chorus with completely different words to make that song work properly from start to finish for me.

• Like 1