California Deluxe Album

Ghent

I thought I liked it more than California but I have listened to it only for a few days, then the hype died out and I never felt the urge to do it again. In retrospective, I have listened to California a lot more than this one, I had it in my car for a solid couple of weeks and I was listening to it at home too. So I guess I was wrong and Cali is the better album. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I thought I liked it more than California but I have listened to it only for a few days, then the hype died out and I never felt the urge to do it again. In retrospective, I have listened to California a lot more than this one, I had it in my car for a solid couple of weeks and I was listening to it at home too. So I guess I was wrong and Cali is the better album. 

Haha. It's the same thing for me and I thought about it yesterday as well.

But I still believe that the DLX is the better album. The hype was just huge for the original album and I really wanted to like the new stuff - that's why I listened to it all the time when it came out last Summer. 

Edited by Osgod

Deluxe doesnt feel like an album to me at all because half of it was released before it even came out. I think Deluxe's highs are better than Californias, but the lows are a bit more damning than Californias. I'd argue California was a better 'album' but I definitely prefer some of the songs on deluxe to cali. I mean, I don't like much of any of it at all but from an objective stand point, California is more cohesive, and deluxe is kind of a mess flow wise. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to stop by and say I think the Deluxe edition of California is pretty great.
I think "Good Old Days" and "Dont mean anything" 
are the weakest on here but I still really like them.

Unlike Cali part 1 though there are not any songs that I feel meh about and there are even a few that I think rival self titled brilliance.
My favorite song they have done with Matt is still "Hey I'm Sorry" Which I still think is one of the best blink songs ever made.
I also love
6/8 and Bottom Of the ocean....But yeah overall this album feels so much more genuine than Cali part 1.
 Album gets an 8/10 from me, where part 1 would get a 6.5/10

1 hour ago, Dook said:

Did anyone get the gold CA vinyl?

I saw a few people get them last week... apparently they sent it out as a bonus (meaning you got your original order when Deluxe dropped, and then the winners got this one a month later). It also included a note signed by the band.

I feel like the Deluxe stuff is a step in the right direction with style but I feel like each song is just missing a bit of something to make it great. I feel like a lot of the concepts are good but the songs never take off.

Even Last Train Home, one of the better songs, the Chorus feels a bit like a pre chorus, and when you are just getting pumped to hear it be amazing, it kind of just turns out ok.

I still kind of feel like the Skiba Feldman era has a few really good songs mixed in with a lot of ok songs and a few that are horrible. We just aren't seeing the blink hit machine we once saw.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

I feel like the Deluxe stuff is a step in the right direction with style but I feel like each song is just missing a bit of something to make it great. I feel like a lot of the concepts are good but the songs never take off.

Even Last Train Home, one of the better songs, the Chorus feels a bit like a pre chorus, and when you are just getting pumped to hear it be amazing, it kind of just turns out ok.

I still kind of feel like the Skiba Feldman era has a few really good songs mixed in with a lot of ok songs and a few that are horrible. We just aren't seeing the blink hit machine we once saw.

That's actually how I felt about Untitled for the longest time (besides the obvious hits like I Miss You and Feeling This)..sometimes songs that don't have the obvious huge hook moment end up being better for long term play. They age better.

The deluxe album is definitely different than disc 1.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Osgod said:

I just noticed that I haven't listened to anything From Cali or DLX in weeks. Never had that with any new Blink music. 

With Apple Music/Spotify/Pandora and how "available" music is these days, I've noticed that I don't give many albums more than one listen. Even bands I really like such as RHCP/Green Day/Linkin Park, they all have new albums and I listened to them once and haven't revisited them since. With Dude Ranch/Enema/TOYPAJ/Untitled I listened to those all the time because I had to save up $10, ride my bike to the CD store, buy the damn thing, and then it would get rotated constantly with about 4 other CDs I could afford lol. Neighborhoods I burned to CD as a broke college kid and listened all the time because it was so weird that Blink was back with this new "sound"... 

But now Blink in 2017 I can totally understand people not listening to it on repeat every day, and not necessarily because they don't like the music, but listening habits these days are so much different.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Osgod said:

I don't know with you guys but if I really like a song/album I listen to it all the time...even if it's 2017. 

Oh totally, within the past year I've listened to new Jeff Rosenstock, PUP, Sorority Noise, Pinegrove, Paramore, Cymbals Eat Guitars, over and over and over and over haha

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

Oh totally, within the past year I've listened to new Jeff Rosenstock, PUP, Sorority Noise, Pinegrove, Paramore, Cymbals Eat Guitars, over and over and over and over haha

pinegrove is great. turnover had a new song come out today, if you're into them too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

With Apple Music/Spotify/Pandora and how "available" music is these days, I've noticed that I don't give many albums more than one listen. Even bands I really like such as RHCP/Green Day/Linkin Park, they all have new albums and I listened to them once and haven't revisited them since. With Dude Ranch/Enema/TOYPAJ/Untitled I listened to those all the time because I had to save up $10, ride my bike to the CD store, buy the damn thing, and then it would get rotated constantly with about 4 other CDs I could afford lol. Neighborhoods I burned to CD as a broke college kid and listened all the time because it was so weird that Blink was back with this new "sound"... 

But now Blink in 2017 I can totally understand people not listening to it on repeat every day, and not necessarily because they don't like the music, but listening habits these days are so much different.

Or

because they don't like the music.

4 hours ago, Ghent said:

That's actually how I felt about Untitled for the longest time (besides the obvious hits like I Miss You and Feeling This)..sometimes songs that don't have the obvious huge hook moment end up being better for long term play. They age better.

The deluxe album is definitely different than disc 1.

Tends to happen to me as well. The less catchy songs or the mellow ones tend to grow over time for me. I liked Kaleidoscope on first listen, but it was more like "this is decent". Now it's one of my favourite ever songs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a proud moment yesterday, in the morning I caught the wife humming the "Parking Lot" bridge which surprised the fuck out of me. Then later in the day she texted me asking what album the new Blink songs were on because they were stuck in her head and she wanted to download it on Apple Music lol. She loves "Long Lost Feeling" and "Bottom of the Ocean".

I played Deluxe again this morning and was jamming out to Wildfire, song has grown on me a ton.

• Like 3