California Deluxe Album

Ghent

I'll be honest, I've only listened to Cali Deluxe once, but not because I'm not interested in the music--I've just been super busy lately / been listening to lots of other music haha. I want to sit down and really listen to it soon to develop a complete opinion.

I initially liked California, and I don't like most of it now, but I'll give anything blink releases a chance and try not to let my dislike of California cloud my impression of Cali Deluxe. My initial impression was that it was okay, not good but not terrible, but that's only because I wasn't listening very closely.

If I turn out to dislike Cali Deluxe, oh well. There is so much more music out there that I listen to that I don't get hung up on one "bad" (quotes because subjective) release, even if it's from one of my favorite bands. As much as I wish things were different with blink at the moment, griping really doesn't help--I do a lot of critiquing in my mind because I love to over-analyze music, but I feel like that's different from griping.

I think I'm just as unhappy with the state of the band as most members here are, but the sooner I learned to accept the existence of this era of blink the easier it got to enjoy them, if that makes sense. And I'm not talking about no longer following the band--they're a big part of everyone's lives here, including mine, and I understand the attachment. But just sticking with the parts of blink you do like, or finding other bands to listen to, really puts things in perspective.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nasa said:

I'll be honest, I've only listened to Cali Deluxe once, but not because I'm not interested in the music--I've just been super busy lately / been listening to lots of other music haha. I want to sit down and really listen to it soon to develop a complete opinion.

Do you remember when blink released new music back in the day?... The release day there was no other music I wanted to play.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Do you remember when blink released new music back in the day?... The release day there was no other music I wanted to play.

Of course. I was extremely pumped after hearing Up All Night and was really excited for Neighborhoods as well as California (I was suuuuper young when EOTS-Untitled were released so I don't count those haha). The difference now is that I was 13/14 in the Neighborhoods era and I hardly listened to anything else other than blink. I was 18 when California was released but because so much had happened in between Neighborhoods and California I was similarly excited. Now, I work all day, and I keep up with a lot more band and artists than I ever have before, across all genres. So blink doesn't stand out as much as they used to when it comes to new music because I listen to a lot of music. Plus factor in everything I felt about California. So I didn't feel an intense need to listen to the Deluxe all day the day it came out. 

I can dislike new blink-182 without being a Tom bot, or an auto Feldmann hater, or someone who 'didnt give it a fair shot'. I gave it all a fair shot.

I listened to California repeatedly the first week it was out, hoping it would grow on me. it didn't. from the 'production squirrel' point of view, its almost painful to listen to due to loudness war issues (a well documented issue in the music industry at this point). From a musicians point of view, it is horrifically repetitive, relying on the same riff and mostly the same chord progressions. You can argue that blink were never ridiculously complex musicians (thats actually why I like them) but there's being 'simple' and theres being 'redundant'. From a blink-182 fans perspective, it's embarrassing. The obnoxious attempt to crawl back into Enema's womb is just baffling and awkward and cringy. I wouldn't mind so much if they actually managed it but right now we've got a wonky half aborted fetus and I struggle with it. From a Matt Skiba fan perspective, it's infuriating, because I know he's capable of so much more. 

I tried with the deluxe, and while I do appreciate some of it (I think 6/8 might be better than all of DED, for example) there are still glaring issues that I struggle to get past. You could say this is me getting old and cranky but I recently got into the new Paramore record and I basically loved it on the second listen, with the first listen giving me a handful of songs that made me go "huh. I like this!". That in itself is weird because I have never liked Paramore before, or pop music, but there we are. 

I will admit I'm overtly critical, but it's hard not to be considering my interests - but it doesn't make it impossible for me to enjoy something.

I will also admit that the bar is set probably too high as someone who has loved blink for about 18 years now, but that doesn't nullify the records flaws.

TL/DR - California isn't hated because people haven't given it a go, it's because people are finding legitimate flaws. it may be fuelled by misguided expectations, but that doesn't mean the music can't speak for itself - and that music is saying 'Ehhh we're old, fuck it'. 

• Like 4

and again. what is the point of talking about how you dislike or like something? you don't like it? don't give a shit about it. you like it? good for you.

in general no one cares about your opinion. well, on a fan forum it's not a sin to share your thoughts, but please don't act like you can bring something new to the table every day.

why do you feel the need to express your thoughts on something in every post in every thread, especially if nothing's changed since your previous declaration?

you said it once (in fact at least a hundred times), everyone accepted your opinion, so now you can talk about something else... but the california haters can only talk about how they hate the album. it makes no fucking sense. who is your target audiece? didn't you realize that it's the same people?

no one says you can't dislike this fucking album. just don't repeat yourselves about it, because it's pointless and boring, and causes a pathetic circle jerk every time.

• Like 3

I agree with you, Kay.

From my point of view, I try to avoid the word 'hate' -unless I'm joking or whatever, or the debate goes too wild and exaggerated-, but I agree. Thing is that here the shit uses to get really hot when defending opinions. In the end, this is the closest to a blink fandom, so it will always be like this. We all are blink-talibans. As much as I can dislike California, I would jump on those who say blink is shit and all, hahaha. I think that what has happened with this record, is nothing new in terms of people's reaction. Some, of course, hate it; others love it, but the vast majority of the fans are just lying in between those two points, clearly disliking some things, but liking some others. I don't love it, but I don't hate it (although I hate some particular aspects), as much as I'd listen to any other album in their discography rather than California. But, for example, I still blast Bored To Death very often, and I still think it's one of the songs that will be on their 'hits' collection in every concert and all.

I also think that is legitimate to come here and say what you love about it and what you don't as much as you want. I mean, isn't this the California Deluxe thread? Aren't this boards about blink and its work? If you're bored at home or at work, and you want to come here to shit on the album, that's fine. If you're bored at home or at work and you want to praise it, that's fine too.

The problem is when people get too much butthurt because others' opinions or are in denial on some things, as much as they can be proven.

And, moreover, everyone is free to not open a thread if he/she don't want to read 'the same' opinions over and over. If you're so picky about what others have to say, no matter why, just pass over it. I mean, again, what can I expect from a thread that is called "Califoria Deluxe Album"?

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

and again. what is the point of talking about how you dislike or like something? you don't like it? don't give a shit about it. you like it? good for you.

in general no one cares about your opinion. well, on a fan forum it's not a sin to share your thoughts, but please don't act like you can bring something new to the table every day.

why do you feel the need to express your thoughts on something in every post in every thread, especially if nothing's changed since your previous declaration?

you said it once (in fact at least a hundred times), everyone accepted your opinion, so now you can talk about something else... but the california haters can only talk about how they hate the album. it makes no fucking sense. who is your target audiece? didn't you realize that it's the same people?

no one says you can't dislike this fucking album. just don't repeat yourselves about it, because it's pointless and boring, and causes a pathetic circle jerk every time.

Well, I was actually responding to Ryans post, not just posting for the sake of it. I have no issue with people praising the record or discussing it in a positive or negative way, and I felt like posting, so I did.

it's a blink-182 forum for blink-182 fans to discuss blink-182, which is what I'm doing. Settle down, champ. There's no reason to get upset over it.

37 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I agree with you, Kay.

From my point of view, I try to avoid the word 'hate' -unless I'm joking or whatever, or the debate goes too wild and exaggerated-, but I agree. Thing is that here the shit uses to get really hot when defending opinions. In the end, this is the closest to a blink fandom, so it will always be like this. We all are blink-talibans. As much as I can dislike California, I would jump on those who say blink is shit and all, hahaha. I think that what has happened with this record, is nothing new in terms of people's reaction. Some, of course, hate it; others love it, but the vast majority of the fans are just lying in between those two points, clearly disliking some things, but liking some others. I don't love it, but I don't hate it (although I hate some particular aspects), as much as I'd listen to any other album in their discography rather than California. But, for example, I still blast Bored To Death very often, and I still think it's one of the songs that will be on their 'hits' collection in every concert and all.

I also think that is legitimate to come here and say what you love about it and what you don't as much as you want. I mean, isn't this the California Deluxe thread? Aren't this boards about blink and its work? If you're bored at home or at work, and you want to come here to shit on the album, that's fine. If you're bored at home or at work and you want to praise it, that's fine too.

The problem is when people get too much butthurt because others' opinions or are in denial on some things, as much as they can be proven.

And, moreover, everyone is free to not open a thread if he/she don't want to read 'the same' opinions over and over. If you're so picky about what others have to say, no matter why, just pass over it. I mean, again, what can I expect from a thread that is called "Califoria Deluxe Album"?

Yeah I have no issue with people enjoying the record at all, and it's not like California is the worst record I've ever heard. Hell, it's not the worst record by a band I've loved (Seriously, Brand New? Daisy? Wtf were you thinking?)

nor am I like "I hate every single song". Literally, every time I'm working out to a timer and I'm struggling to make it to the end of the time frame I sing 'Built This Pool' repeatedly to get through it. I did it in my head at the dentists recently. 

and stuff like Cynical and San Diego, 6/8 and even Last Train Home are great tracks. I'm just disappointed that the bits I like are few and far between. I have zero problems with people enjoying the record, or discussing their enjoyment of the record, the only time I have a problem is when people who dislike it are told there's something wrong with them, or are insulted for it, or something like that. Like if you like it bro good for you that must be great, I wish I could join you. I only get dickish if people are aggressive or mean about it.

Like ultimately, I can disagree with @Ghent for example for hours on end about the direction of new blink, but if some non-blink fan told him blink sucked and he was lame for liking them then I'd smack a bitch. We're all blink fans end of the day, we have an unhealthy obsession with the same band and that bonds you for life! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Who took a crap in your cereal this morning?

21 minutes ago, Kay said:

Well, I was actually responding to Ryans post, not just posting for the sake of it. I have no issue with people praising the record or discussing it in a positive or negative way, and I felt like posting, so I did.

it's a blink-182 forum for blink-182 fans to discuss blink-182, which is what I'm doing. Settle down, champ. There's no reason to get upset over it.

Yeah I have no issue with people enjoying the record at all, and it's not like California is the worst record I've ever heard. Hell, it's not the worst record by a band I've loved (Seriously, Brand New? Daisy? Wtf were you thinking?)

nor am I like "I hate every single song". Literally, every time I'm working out to a timer and I'm struggling to make it to the end of the time frame I sing 'Built This Pool' repeatedly to get through it. I did it in my head at the dentists recently. 

and stuff like Cynical and San Diego, 6/8 and even Last Train Home are great tracks. I'm just disappointed that the bits I like are few and far between. I have zero problems with people enjoying the record, or discussing their enjoyment of the record, the only time I have a problem is when people who dislike it are told there's something wrong with them, or are insulted for it, or something like that. Like if you like it bro good for you that must be great, I wish I could join you. I only get dickish if people are aggressive or mean about it.

Like ultimately, I can disagree with @Ghent for example for hours on end about the direction of new blink, but if some non-blink fan told him blink sucked and he was lame for liking them then I'd smack a bitch. We're all blink fans end of the day, we have an unhealthy obsession with the same band and that bonds you for life! 

Agree with the last paragraph! Blink are our babies. Sometimes our kids grow up to do shit we don't agree with. We'll obsess about it, criticise them or whatever. At the end of the day, despite the flaws of our kids, parents will run wild over anyone that attacks our kids or even insult them.

50% of California may suck to me. But blink-182 does not suck at all. They're still the band that gave us Enema, Dude Ranch and the smiley face album. Still the same band with cool side projects like Boxcar Racer and +44.

17 hours ago, ryan1125 said:

You can be the 40 year old dude playing EOTS babbling about how awesome 1999 was, or you can be the 40 year old dude at the California 10-year reunion tour screaming Cynical at the top of your lungs with the rest of the people who appreciate it. I know where I'll be... front row in a HMNIM shirt, elbowing a teen behind me.

I think I'll take the neither option on that one thanks. 

On another topic, you really notice the production/loudness of California when a song comes on a shuffle playlist, I end up having to turn it down because it's too overpowering. 

15 hours ago, Ghost said:

This is probably because blink went years at a time without releasing new music lol. Of course the hype will mellow a little bit when they are actively releasing stuff.

Just saw this on twitter..it's applicable here.

Stages of Toxic Fandom:

1. I love this

2. I own this

3. I control this

4. I can't control this

5. I hate this

6. I must destroy this

1 minute ago, Clarkerpes said:

On the positive side, Blink created a new genre of punk with California and Deluxe. I call it lab-punk, because it sounds like it was created in a laboratory and goes one step further than pop-punk in terms of making artificial sounding music.  

lab-punk sounds like punk music made from messing about with chemicals, I wish that was the case haha