California Deluxe Album

Ghent

3 hours ago, Helen Hoppus said:

hope, that all deluxe album will consist only whoa's and oh's, also feldy should write all of the songs, and may be even drum parts. i want to see how people's world crash.

The sad thing is that I guess you are not even joking that that's what you wanna have released...

8 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

you know, I can't believe how cynical people are around here....

you guys come here everyday, you are huge fans...and still really bash the band. i have never seen that on other band forums.

blink is releasing 2 records within a year, We saw the return of strong studio vocals from mark....cause he sounded dead on neighborhoods......,the band is bigger than in any recent year.....and it's still not enough.

and i get it...you guys are done with the whoas, the mainstream poppunk sound (which in my opinion was perfect after selftitled,neighborhoods and DED).

yes i want some experimental darker deep cuts....but this is an extention of cali...so we might not hear that untill the next new record.

but seriously....I''M SO STOKED!

I will talk for myself, with all respect, mate.

• I don't come here to bash the band. Just say what I dislike about all this new cycle. On the other side, there is people here who comes every day to say the opposite. So if they can do it (of course they can), other can talk what they dislike. The real deal is that there shouldn't be a problem with that, instead of making off of this a war.
  • Blink is releasing 2 albums. Yay!!!! It's good news, sure. I like to see Mark and travis enjoying the thng again. But in general,  I preffer quality over quantity.

Other than that, I agree with you.

And I don't know who said that blink should't make music based on social media opinions. Of course not. But they shouldn't do music (or produce it) based on the industry trends either.

• Like 3

With every change in blinks career I have always expected the worst but hoped for the best. California was the first time where I had no expectations, because there was nothing to base it on. We had no idea of the level of impact Matt would have, we had no idea the level of involvement Feldmann would have, and we had no idea what Travis and Mark could do at this stage in their lives without Tom at the helm. I went in with zero expectations, only curiosity and excitement.

That meant that initially I was a little all over the place when the album came out. Bored To Death dropped, I ran around like a loon and almost fell down the stairs trying to find my damn headphones and then I listened to it on repeat a good 6 or 7 times because I needed to *know* the song before I could react to it. I wasn't wowed by it, and I repeated it not out of compulsion because I liked the song but because it was blink, and that's what I've always done. When I first heard Up All Night I legit cried when it hit the chorus, because that spark of 'blink' magic was still there. I actually hate that song now, but at the time it really hit me. Bored To Death did not. I didn't hate it, or curse it, or go on a rampage like I did when I first heard AVA - I just found it dull.

Then Rabbit Hole was out there and I instantly loved it - I loved the lyrics, it was fun, I didn't like the production but the song itself was kind of a cool outlier. a lot of people seemed to goddamn hate it but I quite enjoyed it. No Future came out and I liked that a lot too - there were definite issues with it, but the song itself was okay. 

I initially saw these tracks and went "well, theres some fun going on in there and thats cool! blink deserve to be fun again" but I didn't realise the... level of fun they were going for. Rabbit Hole is fun and happy sounding by the lyrics don't really reflect it, and No Future has a silly happy chorus but again it's got a weird edge to it and Bored To Death is clearly not a 'happy' song, so when we got the album and it was all She's Out Of Her Mind and Sober and no end of cheese on a bunch of tracks and the rest had very little substance I was surprised and disappointed. San Diego and Cynical are my favourites on the record and their easily the most emotive as well (except for HISALP but my reasons for that one not being high up on my list is all production related and nothing to do with the song itself). 

I never wanted blink to be super serious all the time, or only depressing, or anything like that. I was open to a more summer vibe blink, but not ONLY summer time blink.

So when it comes to this deluxe record I'm not going to the naive route I went before, and I'm going to go into this expecting that it'll be California Pt 2, more whoas, more nas, more mediocrity. California did super well and the guys are clearly happy to appeal to teenage girls for the rest of their lives, but a part of me desperately hopes that Mark will take this opportunity to have the entirety of the 'California' age of blink be more complex and respectable, and maybe there will be more meat on the bones of these new songs, more actually going on sonically and thematically to make the record a little more mature than it's predecessor. I'm hoping for that.

I'm not saying I want no fun songs at all - bring it on, just give me something more. that's all. 

• Like 9

there are 3 types of people here:
 - accepts the new direction, likes the songs, doesn't have the urge to find problems. (a.k.a. "the positive fan".)
 - doesn't really like or hate the new direction and the songs, but enjoys that blink is active, because he/she's a fan. accepts valid criticism from the same type of people. (a.k.a. "the neutral fan".)
 - hates the new direction, and this hate urges him/her to find everything unbearable, creates problems out of nothing. goes mad if his/her criticism isn't accepted by the neutral or positive fans. usually a tomlover. (a.k.a. "the complete idiot".)

and there's a bonus group for 1 person:
 - "the oliver": wants to seem sophisticated, so he wouldn't say he hates something he hates. obviously he can't like something that isn't perfect, because he knows that imperfection holds possible failure, and if he concentrates on the negative parts of a story emphatically, he has the chance to act like an unappreciated visionary in the future.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

- accepts the new direction, likes the songs, doesn't have the urge to find problems. (a.k.a. "the positive fan".)
 - doesn't really like or hate the new direction and the songs, but enjoys that blink is active, because he/she's a fan. accepts valid criticism from the same type of people. (a.k.a. "the neutral fan".)
 - hates the new direction, and this hate urges him/her to find everything unbearable, creates problems out of nothing. goes mad if his/her criticism isn't accepted by the neutral or positive fans. usually a tomlover. (a.k.a. "the complete idiot".)

- "the oliver": wants to seem sophisticated, so he wouldn't say he hates something he hates. obviously he can't like something that isn't perfect, because he knows that imperfection holds possible failure, and if he concentrates on the negative parts of a story emphatically, he has the chance to act like an unappreciated visionary in the future.

Im stuck in between 2 and 3, but your assessment. Im happy blink are active and I'm happy of the guys, but I also dislike the new direction... although not quite to that 'tomlover' extent. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

right on the nail!

i think i'm between 1 and 2

Favorite songs from California:

• Sober
  • Home is a Lonely Place
  • Built this Pool
  • Bored to Death
  • The Only Thing that Matters
  • Brohemian Rhapsody

If this deluxe edition has any songs that are up to par with my California favorites, or better, then hell fucking yeah

i'm a positive/neutral fan. i seriously don't have a problem with the new direction. feldmann is a good producer. there are better ones, but at least the band is hyperactive with him. the songs are rushed, so there's something i am critical about.

14 hours ago, jordidanen95 said:

you know, I can't believe how cynical people are around here....

you guys come here everyday, you are huge fans...and still really bash the band. i have never seen that on other band forums.

blink is releasing 2 records within a year, We saw the return of strong studio vocals from mark....cause he sounded dead on neighborhoods......,the band is bigger than in any recent year.....and it's still not enough.

and i get it...you guys are done with the whoas, the mainstream poppunk sound (which in my opinion was perfect after selftitled,neighborhoods and DED).

yes i want some experimental darker deep cuts....but this is an extention of cali...so we might not hear that untill the next new record.

but seriously....I''M SO STOKED!

A voice of reason...ahhhh it felt so nice reading that. thank you

welp back to oliver.

I think they've lost it. California should of never been released and showed a severe lack of creative interest in making anything beyond desperate radio fodder. I'm sure there are those in denial and those who will make excuses, but blink was always above that, until now. 

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

I think they've lost it. California should of never been released and showed a severe lack of creative interest in making anything beyond desperate radio fodder. I'm sure there are those in denial and those who will make excuses, but blink was always above that, until now. 

Yeah, kinda like during TOYPAJ when the label said there weren't enough radio hits so Blink went back and popped out First Date and The Rock Show? 

6 hours ago, Helen Hoppus said:

i haven't any problems with california, and i will not have any problems with future deluxe edition. anyway, your meaningless guess isn't right. 

Haha...you would adore everything Blink is releasing no matter what...honestly bands can be happy to have such fans who buy every shit and support every nonsense they do.

I'm still a huge Blink fan, since the first time I heard a song from them. I don't think the new record is bad, it has a handful of really cool songs I enjoy listening to. The thing I hate about it is that it's a generic album sonebody else helped them writing in a way to sound appealing to a young pop punk audience and make as much money as possible.

This proved for me that Tom, besides being a shithead, was the driving force behind Blink and sparked the new sound. 

To sum it up: I'm still a huge Blink fan, even going to see them live 1-2 times this summer, but I will call them out when they underperform in my opinion. You can like the new direction as much as you want, but for me and a lot of other people it's not really Blink anymore and that has nothing to do with being a Tombot.  

• Like 2