California Deluxe Album

Ghent

Just now, Kay said:

Maybe they know the original, or the Amy Grant version, or the Neighborhood version, it doesn't actually matter because they clearly know some variation of it. As soon as the damn song came out everyone started commenting about the counting crows lyric, it can't have escaped them how obvious and similar it was. So either its intentional or they're bloody stupid. 

Ghent argues that they are that dumb. Bwahahaha

15 minutes ago, Kay said:

but an obvious straight parallel line to a very famous song from the 60s thats been covered a bajillion times and it has nothing to do with it? 

really? is "put up a parking lot" a phrase any of you have ever used ever? to me, its an obvious reference.. 

I mean, yeah they stole that line, but other than that it has nothing to do with the meaning of the song IMO. 

Matt starts by reminiscing about his youth...

Chorus talks about having the best time of your life in a parking lot...

Mark continues reminiscing about his youth, talks about getting off work and how he can't wait to get to the parking lot to meet up with friends and chill and listen to music.

It's just about having fun times hanging out in parking lots with your friends. They aren't wanting to destroy buildings to put parking lots up around the city, they don't want more parking lots, they're just saying fuck whatever is here, we can have fun in a parking lot IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ryan1125 said:

I mean, yeah they stole that line, but other than that it has nothing to do with the meaning of the song IMO. 

Mark continues reminiscing about his youth, talks about getting off work and how he can't wait to get to the parking lot to meet up with friends and chill and listen to music.

It's just about having fun times hanging out in parking lots with your friends. They aren't wanting to destroy buildings to put parking lots up around the city, they don't want more parking lots, they're just saying fuck whatever is here, we can have fun in a parking lot IMO.

But haven't you heard? blink are officially parking lot construction advocates now. they went political..get your signs out, it's time to start picketing, boys!

2 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

and you don't think thats weird? they took the line and totally misappropriated its meaning and it has no effect on the rest of the song? that doesn't bug you?

2 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

1372456973269.gif

We are forgotten young suburbia
Loose on the streets of California
Underneath fluorescent lights
We'll waste the best nights of our life
Fuck this place, let's put up a parking lot
(Na, na na, na na, na na
Na, na na, na na, na na)
Fuck this place, let's put up a parking lot

Still reads as sarcasm to me. But no, I guess they really want them parking lots.

Just now, Nasa said:

My neighbors used to hold bike races in the high school parking lot by my house all the time. The meaning of the song is pretty clear. What is even happening in here lol

I get the meaning of the song overall, but the specific 'put up a parking lot' lyric is odd. its not "fuck this place, lets go find a parking lot" which would have fit the measure and made more sense, instead its a reference. so why reference something that has nothing to do with the rest of the song? the songs meaning doesnt bug me, its the inclusion of that reference that is the total opposite tone that bugs me. 

• Like 3

Just now, Kay said:

I get the meaning of the song overall, but the specific 'put up a parking lot' lyric is odd. its not "fuck this place, lets go find a parking lot" which would have fit the measure and made more sense, instead its a reference. so why reference something that has nothing to do with the rest of the song? the songs meaning doesnt bug me, its the inclusion of that reference that is the total opposite tone that bugs me. 

Exactly. It's a "might as well" kind of sentiment.

4 minutes ago, ryan1125 said:

I completely agree with you on the overall meaning, for sure. And of course most of us have had the exact experience in the song. It's just that one line is weird haha.

Like Kay said "put up a parking lot" isn't like a normal phrase, it's pretty much only ever been used in the Joni Mitchell song. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kay said:

Yeah I get that. Finding a parking lot would have made much more sense. The reference doesn't bug me though. 

9 minutes ago, Kay said:

and you don't think thats weird? they took the line and totally misappropriated its meaning and it has no effect on the rest of the song? that doesn't bug you?

To be fair I don't know anything about the yellow taxi song, other than it says "paved paradise and put up a parking lot", (and it had been probably 15 years since I had heard that song). So whatever that song means (I have no clue) had no effect on how I interpreted the Blink song, nor does it bother me because I hardly know the song. I just took the Blink song at face value, which IMO seems pretty obvious - (but I'm also biased because I feel like I grew up doing exactly what they are talking about).

Let's be honest, the lyrical quality of Blink-182 right now is pretty low... I have a hard time thinking Mark's going to talk about going to a Target curb, and then follow that with some deep metaphor referencing some old song, which also has a second-layer secret political meaning about destroying earth for pavement.

• Like 1

Given how they wrote California, I'm willing to bet that the band sloppily churned out this lyric without a second thought as to what overanalytical fans like us think about its relation to the theme of the song.