Blink 182 USA Tour 2017

AudioFranzzz

6 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Yeah Mark's opinions on sets really bothers me.

When I saw them in 2011 one of the main selling points for me was the fact that they were playing four Neighborhoods songs before the album was released. That was exciting.

i loved that singing along to the other new songs when everyone else around me just kind of stood there lol,  

• Like 2

Just now, Chewy030 said:

i loved that singing along to the other new songs when everyone else around me just kind of stood there lol,  

Haha yeah I even recorded a cover of After Midnight before the song was released. When it was eventually released I realized I got some of the lyrics wrong, but oh well. It was super fun singing along to those songs at the show. I would be 100% more excited about a blink show if I was guaranteed to hear new music.

Not that I'm ever not excited to see blink, but getting to hear those four songs before Neighborhoods came out was really awesome.

3 hours ago, daveyjones said:

the reason mark limits the live sets to 90 minutes is so he won't have to stumble home after midnight.

Davey, you knew Mark, was he always insecure? In the early days he seemed very sure of himself, very confident. Yeah?

Somewhere along the way he became very insecure about his ability to write and perform new material.

• Like 1

The problem with that analogy is that Bored to Death was a huge hit and California got a grammy nod.  That's more validation from the music industry than Mark has had his entire career.  So that's like coach telling him to go back out there and then they win the Super Bowl.

This narrative that Mark is somehow embarrassed by California just isn't true.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

I agree, I don't think he's embarrassed by it at all. He's extremely proud of it. Which has me a little concerned...

Mark's embarrassed by his writing abilities despite putting out great music throughout his entire career. Yeah, Neighborhoods was maybe a misstep, but I still think it was good, and Mark's writing/lyrics were definitely not part of the problem on that album. I thought the EP was really great. It feels like Mark is embarrassed of what I consider to be really good music, and that he now seems very proud of what I think is some of his most mediocre work.

Still, if all we ever get from here on out is California-caliber music from blink-182, I'll take it. While not my favorite, it's still good.

11 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

The problem with that analogy is that Bored to Death was a huge hit and California got a grammy nod.  That's more validation from the music industry than Mark has had his entire career.  So that's like coach telling him to go back out there and then they win the Super Bowl.

well, you can't be sure that deep in his heart mark is satisfied with an album just because it is succesful. if he's a businessman, he obviously thinks it's the best thing he could make in 2016.

but maybe he's still someone who wants to fill his songs with emotions and other intangible values... then he can be a little embarrassed.

31 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

i'm not suggesting he's embarrassed at all. i'm just suggesting the california is an album written by middle-aged dudes—under the direction and influence of feldman—to appeal to 18 year olds. and that mark is kind of stuck, creatively. and that he explored more interesting territory with +44.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

i'm not suggesting he's embarrassed at all. i'm just suggesting the california is an album written by middle-aged dudes—under the direction and influence of feldman—to appeal to 18 year olds. and that mark is kind of stuck, creatively. and that he explored more interesting territory with +44.

Fair enough.  I took the "unsure if he looks foolish in the old uniform" part to imply he doesn't know or is embarrassed by what he's doing.

If Mark wanted to release stuff that didn't sound like California then that's what he would do.  This is the guy that loves and has had guest vocals on Simple Plan and All Time Low albums.  I don't know why people continually seem to be surprised he put out an album that sounds like Cali.

2 minutes ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Fair enough.  I took the "unsure if he looks foolish in the old uniform" part to imply he doesn't know or is embarrassed by what he's doing.

i think he's unsure, creatively, yes. and it's my opinion that feldman has guided him in a direction that will lead to grammy nominations and strong sales, but it's material that's less artistically interesting (and thus could be less personally fulfilling).

but i still listen to california myself, and i don't have any strong feelings about the matter. for me the discussion is purely academic.

• Like 1

I think he's in the process of rediscovering himself creatively after being veered off course by circumstances out of his control for many years. I think the outside help has worked to repair his confidence and reinvent his sound. It's not cheating, it's not disingenuous, it's just another step, this time without the guy he has written with his entire career. That's a big adjustment to make.

• Like 1

I feel like if Mark and Travis would have known Feldmann better in January 2015 they would have hired him to replace Tom instead of Matt. It feels like they trust him to write music that "sounds like blink-182" more than Matt. Feldmann's fingerprints are clearly all over this album, while Matt's influence seems minimal. Obviously I don't actually know how much of the record was written by Matt versus written by Feldmann; for all I know Matt wrote way more of it. But Feldmann's influence is a lot more obvious than Matt's is.

I'm actually super curious how that would have turned out, because if Feldmann was Tom's full-time replacement, then I'm guessing he wouldn't have been the producer. I wonder how different the music would have been, even though Feldmann would be involved in either circumstance. We'll never know, but interesting to think about.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

I feel like if Mark and Travis would have known Feldmann better in January 2015 they would have hired him to replace Tom instead of Matt. It feels like they trust him to write music that "sounds like blink-182" more than Matt. Feldmann's fingerprints are clearly all over this album, while Matt's influence seems minimal. Obviously I don't actually know how much of the record was written by Matt versus written by Feldmann; for all I know Matt wrote way more of it. But Feldmann's influence is a lot more obvious than Matt's is.

I'm actually super curious how that would have turned out, because if Feldmann was Tom's full-time replacement, then I'm guessing he wouldn't have been the producer. I wonder how different the music would have been, even though Feldmann would be involved in either circumstance. We'll never know, but interesting to think about.

I guess we'll find out a clearer picture about Matt with the deluxe edition and more importantly the next album.