What would you prefer?

Low Value Boy

What version of Blink would you prefer?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What version of blink-182 would you prefer?

• In it's current form with Skiba releasing the music they are now
    • In its previous state with Tom, maybe releasing an album every 4-5 years (if at all)

California is definitely a success, regarding album sales IMO. Obviously not to the level of their 3 albums from 1999 to 2003. Hell, even WDNTW has sold more, but back then, illegal downloads weren't as frequent, CD's were more popular. So the sales back then were more inflated. Most rock bands back then were selling around 300,000 to 400,000 on the first week of release. Now the bigger rock bands sell usually around 100,000 to 200,000. Blink are still one of the bigger bands. I like to say that California is just below the smiley face album when it comes to success (ignoring the sales, because inflation).

California isn't as popular when it comes to the singles side of things. Sure, Bored to Death was number one on of the charts, but some of them charts are trash. It was 85 on the Billboard 100 list, and 107 on the official UK chart. That's pretty poor compared to what the smiley face singles had. Even Up All Night fared better in that department. Grammy Awards don't mean a thing to me, especially in the rock department. Seems any band can get into that category nowadays. I mean I didn't even know two of those bands that were nominated. Only Weezer & Panic. Weren't Sum 41 nominated for an award few years ago at the Grammys? Nobody even remembers that album or the songs from it.

I've only ever heard Bored to Death once on the radio, I've never seen the video outside of YouTube. I heard Up All Night played on the radio just a little bit more. And I've seen the video outside of YouTube a few times too. Maybe it's an unfair way to judge as I hardly watch TV or hardly listen to the radio unless I know blink are gonna be on it. But I'm pretty sure if I talk about blink to someone random, nobody will have a single clue about Bored to Death & Up All Night unless they happen to be a fan of blink. Those two songs just aren't that relevant to people that aren't into blink. People know of blink, but it's more like "blink? Are they still around? Didn't they do that naked video?" referring to WMAA and not SOOHM.

Same can be said for every rock band really. Unless it's Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Muse, rock bands just aren't relevant. Nowadays it's more about live shows than albums. Blink are still huge in that department. Green Day even more so and their new album (which I actually love) has done terrible compared to California. That said, I'm not discrediting California. It's a success. Enough for the record label to be happy. Probably would sell the same amount as what the smiley face album did if it was released in 2003. But that album tops California by far in the singles department and because of it, it just won't have any relevance to the mainstream. Enema has WMAA and ATST, Take Off has Rock Show and First Date, and smiley face has I Miss You and to a lesser extent Feeling This.

Bored to Death has the same kind of popularity to Down & Always. I'd consider Up All Night on the very same level but when it comes to live performances, the crowd is literally still for that song. Least they dance around or sing along to Bored to Death and so for that reason alone, I'd say Bored to Death is a little bit more popular. The only song really that could bring mainstream relevance to the album is probably Sober, and I hate saying that because I despise the song.

I actually like feldmann and some of his influence, shit he helped create bored to death which is now one of my all time favorite blink songs. That being said, with the release of parking lot I think he should take a step back and just produce and let mark and Matt do their thing instead of helping write every song.

Why is that creepy? Osgod claimed he had never seen anyone get offended by the term "tombot"  and you're the person on here who's made the biggest fuss about it.

Also, I love how you claim someone pointed it out to you when the most likely scenario is you were just reading through this thread for the first time/the first time in a week.