Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

What does he bring to the band? Seriously.

His lyrics are awful, voice is meh, worse guitar player than Tom? No fucking riffs. A complete yes man who's only in it for the cash. Id swap him for Taylor Swift. He's absolute wank. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I sadly have to agree here. I expected a very different thing when he was announced as the new member. As I said in other thread, I can barely see the same guy who wrote songs like Radio, Hell Yes, We Have Had Enough, Clavicle, 97... (but also I don't recognise Mark as the guy who wrote as many amazing songs ither).

I don't know. This is starting to look like a guy who is in because all the fireworks, and says yeah to all what the three other members have to say.

• Like 4

he's certainly a better singer overall. and i appreciate that he's engaged and interested in the band. but other than that, he doesn't bring much to the table at this point. it still sounds, based on parking lot, like he's trying to write to fit blink-182, what he thinks the band is. instead of just writing what he wants to write -- the matt skiba who wrote sadie. i give him one more album before i write him off completely. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I agree with most of the above comments. He's a better performer than Tom, but that's a very low standard. I'd be okay with that if he was bringing better stuff to the table in terms of songwriting (which I was expecting him to), but at this point, he hasn't done that, in my opinion.

When Ghost posted the video of him in AK I was honestly blown away how much more comfortable he looks, he just looks so awkward in Blink on stage, obviously it takes time to adjust, but I feel like he has had a decent amount of time now and its still odd.

I don't think he is bringing much to the table because he is being limited by Feldman wanting it done a certain way and being a new member I don't think he has the power to say "this sucks". It is pretty obvious who is pulling the strings right now. This is feeling more and more like Feldman's band by the day, and I think he has Mark totally controlled.

• Like 6

To be fair to Matt though, while I am sure he does well financially with the AK trio, I am sure the money is nothing crazy special.

Then to be in Blink it's got to be like, way more, and if someone came to you and said something like "We'll pay for $700K a year (guessing) and you get a personal chef and all this shit all you have to do is be there" I think most people would take it.

It is kind of sad that they aren't letting him do his thing though. But he is not in a spot to be aggressive.

• Like 1

I like Matt's voice but I think it would have sounded way better in Untitled-esque music. As for the riffs, Matt showed some good ideas in Heavens, also I really like Mercy Me riff (This Is Home is almost the same) but it's just one riff, Matt doesn't really have a lot of musical ideas, lyrics is his stronger point (but only when he writes about smth he wants, not about yellow laces). And yeah, hr shows up;D that's something Tom couldn't manage

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

To be fair to Matt though, while I am sure he does well financially with the AK trio, I am sure the money is nothing crazy special.

Then to be in Blink it's got to be like, way more, and if someone came to you and said something like "We'll pay for $700K a year (guessing) and you get a personal chef and all this shit all you have to do is be there" I think most people would take it.

It is kind of sad that they aren't letting him do his thing though. But he is not in a spot to be aggressive.

700k? Good one. They make six figures per show.

21 minutes ago, NotNow said:

700k? Good one. They make six figures per show.

But Matt isn't a "partner". Even Travis said his 1st year of Blink it was just kind of shit in relationship to what they made.

Honestly, I am just guessing. Who the fuck knows. That is why I said guess.

The point I am making is the pay and benefits are great and most here would take the same exact deal.

8 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

But Matt isn't a "partner". Even Travis said his 1st year of Blink it was just kind of shit in relationship to what they made.

Honestly, I am just guessing. Who the fuck knows. That is why I said guess.

The point I am making is the pay and benefits are great and most here would take the same exact deal.

Travis's first year theyre weren't a multi million dollar brand that charges millions of dollars to play a show. He would be getting his fair share from a performance (at least somewhat fair share I'm sure it's not equal). A third of the songs they're performing are songs he wrote. 

2 hours ago, Olidamus said:

When Ghost posted the video of him in AK I was honestly blown away how much more comfortable he looks, he just looks so awkward in Blink on stage, obviously it takes time to adjust, but I feel like he has had a decent amount of time now and its still odd.

I don't think he is bringing much to the table because he is being limited by Feldman wanting it done a certain way and being a new member I don't think he has the power to say "this sucks". It is pretty obvious who is pulling the strings right now. This is feeling more and more like Feldman's band by the day, and I think he has Mark totally controlled.

Other than the hyperbole at the end, I mostly agree. He really is coming off more and more as a guitarist for hire. Even lyrics we assume he wrote, like his bit of Parking Lot, are so different than what we would expect from him. I think all 4 members are way to insistent on writing lyrics they think play to their main demographic. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, OliverTrump said:

Other than the hyperbole at the end, I mostly agree. He really is coming off more and more as a guitarist for hire. Even lyrics we assume he wrote, like his bit of Parking Lot, are so different than what we would expect from him. I think all 4 members are way to insistent on writing lyrics they think play to their main demographic. 

Holy shit you agree? Has hell frozen over?