Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

50 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

yea i think 100k per show is absolutely plausible.

but i don't see is how they make just a 10th of that per show now  when they still sell out Arenas. ticket Prices are even higher and the expenses probably stayed the same or even dropped?

this isn't the record Industry @Donald Trump's Bulge… explain

Actors, noise makers, teleprompters

Add in vegan only food, Feldmann coke, Tom cut

All things they didn't pay for before.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

yea i think 100k per show is absolutely plausible.

but i don't see is how they make just a 10th of that per show now  when they still sell out Arenas. ticket Prices are even higher and the expenses probably stayed the same or even dropped?

this isn't the record Industry @Donald Trump's Bulge… explain

@Ghent has a point

The 2016 tour grossed $28 million and there is no question they took home a nice paycheck almost equal to back in the day. Now if Matt was getting a big taste is questionable. He was new. Who knows. But I just can't see him being written as a partner at that stage.

But now, they play 2500 seating clubs. There is a difference between that and 18,000 seat venues in terms of cash flow. Its basic multiplication.

16 minutes ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

@Ghent has a point

The 2016 tour grossed $28 million and there is no question they took home a nice paycheck almost equal to back in the day. Now if Matt was getting a big taste is questionable. He was new. Who knows. But I just can't see him being written as a partner at that stage.

But now, they play 2500 seating clubs. There is a difference between that and 18,000 seat venues in terms of cash flow. Its basic multiplication.

You act like a Vegas residency is the equivalent of being forced to tour small clubs ?

I think most everyone bases their worth off their income to some degree whether they want to admit it or not. If Joe Blow who sits next to you, has worked at your job for less time, with less experience, but makes $10K more than you, how does that make you feel?

On the days I do well in the market, I am on top of the world. On the days I get spanked, I feel like a fuckup.

So even though Blink make a shit ton, there is no question that those checks are smaller now, way smaller. Huge blow to Mark's ego. There is no question about it.

10 hours ago, daveyjones said:

except it doesn't have the benefit of actually being great, like an actual club show. (<500 people)

Yeah, you'd know better than me, but I think Blink in the Scott Raynor days weren't jaded by fame, they could actually go out onstage and really soak in the experience and enjoy what they were doing.

Its so mechanical now for them.

Mark is one of the most jaded people ever. You could tell him that you've been a Blink fan since 1993, been to ever single, show, owned every single piece of merchandise they ever released, and he would not even care. Just like his "Thanks Davey" to a long time fan. He literally doesn't give a shit.

They could play tiny little venues now. But it wouldn't be intimate at all. Its like watching robots onstage.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

I think most everyone bases their worth off their income to some degree whether they want to admit it or not. If Joe Blow who sits next to you, has worked at your job for less time, with less experience, but makes $10K more than you, how does that make you feel?

On the days I do well in the market, I am on top of the world. On the days I get spanked, I feel like a fuckup.

So even though Blink make a shit ton, there is no question that those checks are smaller now, way smaller. Huge blow to Mark's ego. There is no question about it.

I mean... in regards to big money making bands, sure - but I don't think that's true of everyone. I certainly don't use my income as a base of my self worth, because income is not directly related only to your ability or you as a person. it depends on industry, type of job/work, competitive environment, location, hours, and other job specific variables like benefits, over time, holiday allowance, etc. it's silly to base your self worth on how much you could earn. I could earn a lot more as a prositute, probably. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Mark is one of the most jaded people ever. You could tell him that you've been a Blink fan since 1993, been to ever single, show, owned every single piece of merchandise they ever released, and he would not even care. Just like his "Thanks Davey" to a long time fan. He literally doesn't give a shit.

while i agree with some of your sentiments about the band's current status, i think the one more jaded here is you. while i think mark seems less forthcoming in interviews at the moment, he's historically been the most humble and kind member of the band to fans. what do you expect mark to do? this is the predicament you're put in when you become famous and have millions of fans -- he can't sit there and fawn over everyone for being a fan. a simple thanks will do and he moves on. it's just part of where he's at

• Like 4

Its not overall self worth, but it certainly plays a role with most people.

If you are struggling financially, you can't provide, etc......most people have a lower self esteem because of it.

I am not at all saying these are valid feelings. I don't judge people at all based on what they make.

But it is something personal for a lot of people. Plus, you don't even have to be struggling. If you make bad decisions with money, or the money you make is decreased, its usually something people take personal.

2 minutes ago, boxelder said:

while i agree with some of your sentiments about the band's current status, i think the one more jaded here is you. while i think mark seems less forthcoming in interviews at the moment, he's historically been the most humble and kind member of the band to fans. what do you expect mark to do? this is the predicament you're put in when you become famous and have millions of fans -- he can't sit there and fawn over everyone for being a fan. a simple thanks will do and he moves on. it's just part of where he's at

He was so jaded when I met him it was nuts. He literally didn't want to be there. It was so old news for him.

At sound check he walked out looking at his cell phone, people cheered and called his name, and he didn't even look up. That's all you need to know.

I am not jaded at all. When the right song comes on I call stil grab my guitar, scream vocals, get my heart rate to 190 BPM, get as amped as if I had just taken 5 energy shots. It still does it for me actually.

2 minutes ago, Speedo said:

The more money I make the better I feel about myself. I have a family to earn for and I am expected to make ends meet and provide a comfortable life for my girls.

Well yes that goes without saying, but if you were financially comfortable or not responsible for other people and were therefore able to survive on your earnings, why would earning even more make you feel even better about yourself? from a survival side of things yes, obviously, not having enough will take a toll on your self esteem, but after you've covered the basics why does it matter? like wanting more money to be better off is fine, but having someone next to you earning more shouldn't have much of any impact on you as a person, surely? 

4 minutes ago, Kay said:

Well yes that goes without saying, but if you were financially comfortable or not responsible for other people and were therefore able to survive on your earnings, why would earning even more make you feel even better about yourself? from a survival side of things yes, obviously, not having enough will take a toll on your self esteem, but after you've covered the basics why does it matter? like wanting more money to be better off is fine, but having someone next to you earning more shouldn't have much of any impact on you as a person, surely? 

No, probably not ... it makes me dislike them a little bit but there's no inward disgust.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Idk man at the Vegas shows I was right in front of Mark and he was having a blast and interacting with the crowd during songs like crazy. He really seemed to be enjoying himself, it was one of the main things I noticed. Yeah Matt doesn't move much, and Trav's a machine, but I'm sure they enjoy it. I don't think they are miserable up there.

As far as being jaded, I don't think he's too far off the deep end. He gladly poses for selfies out in public and signs autographs, there's just nothing at this point he hasn't heard. A smile, handshake, and "Thank You" is about all you can ask for. After 20 years of some fame and money, your lifestyle is just a bit different and you have to watch out for the crazies. 

The staged quick photo ops would be such a bore if you did it every single day all summer... filtering people through to pose with you like zoo animals, so I understand not being super ecstatic for that. And again, this is something that's been going on for years, it's just another day at the office. Mark does seem overly serious at soundcheck sometimes (dating back to when I saw the Untitled reunion shows), but it's a soundcheck meant for work, not play. The crowd even being there is probably something set up by promoters, not them. So I give him a pass on that. 

I noticed that you don’t take your one experience as a matter of fact way things undoubtedly are, like Oliver has lead me to believe you’re supposed to