Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

1 hour ago, Russel Coight said:

I always thought Matt still wrote the lyrics for that album.

The other guy in the band is the one who wrote the lyrics for that album. I can't remember his name but the album is brilliant, no matter who wrote it. 

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

The other guy in the band is the one who wrote the lyrics for that album. I can't remember his name but the album is brilliant, no matter who wrote it. 

“The album itself was written in about a week in August of 2004. "I would pick up three bottles of wine and we'd head in my room to write," remembers Skiba. "I would basically go into my room and write a song," Steinbrick adds. "Then I'd bring it back to Matt's room and we'd lay it down. Matt would add lyrics to it and we'd refine the arrangements to perfect them."

Matt Skiba: “We were living together in the same house when we wrote the record but, as you said, we were both touring a lot. I was gone more than I was home. We actually didn't spend a whole lot of time together, hence the time it took to make the record. Joe spent more time in the studio creating the music, and when I was home I would go in, but I ended up mostly writing from the road. When I was in LA, which was usually only for a couple of days, I'd go and put down some vocals. We built it over time, but it was because if our schedules that the record came out when it did.”

Definitely feels like Matt had a lot more to do with this the album than just singing on it. I’m like 90% sure I read that the song ‘heather’ was Matt writing about Heather Gabel.

• Like 2

^that was from a magazine shoot right? I was looking for it.

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

Good to know that! I've always heard that Skiba didn't write the lyrics for that album but I never looked into it, I accepted it as common knowledge I guess ?

I always heard he did do the lyrics. I think the CD booklet said as much, but my memory of that is literally 12 years old at this point.

• Like 1

Bringing some of the Tour thread conversation over here: 

I wonder if there are any secret regrets for anyone in the band about having Skiba be Tom's replacement. I'm positive Travis and Mark believe they made the right choice to move on without Tom, but do they wish they brought in someone different? Does Skiba wish he hadn't agreed or does the money help on his end?

I don't think any of them are miserable necessarily, but there is no doubt that Skiba is an awkward fit with the version of Blink that exists right now. There's no way they were thinking at the time that they would be leaning this far into the pop world and having outsiders writing for/with them and trying to recapture the breezy summertime fun persona of the old days. I just feel like if they knew that, they would have never brought in a guy who is known for morose lyrics, standing still onstage, and generally having a pretty reserved personality. He's just never had anything in common with those types of flavors in his entire career.

It would be fascinating to know what their vision of Blink's future was in 2015 when they joined forces, and whether they all think everything is working out as well as they planned/hoped.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SandChannel said:

Skiba is making more money than he would have in 10 lifetimes of Trio. I am sure he sleeps like a baby each night. 

I'm sure he slept great before, only now he's left the peasants with their cheap sheets and is enjoying that egyptian cotton and goose-down comfort.

• 3 weeks later...