Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

That’s a great stage presence for any standards. Matt. Tom. Anybody.

That’s what I thought. He’s doing fine. Only said Matt standards because you’ll have the occasional “bUt hE’s jUsT wAlKiNg aRoUnD!! hE iSn’T dOiNg gYmNaStiCs liKE tOM!!11” 

I know this isn’t r/blink182, but people seem to forget he isn’t as hyper as Mark or Tom. As long as he isn’t standing still and looking down at his teleprompter all night, it’s not that bad.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

That’s what I thought. He’s doing fine. Only said Matt standards because you’ll have the occasional “bUt hE’s jUsT wAlKiNg aRoUnD!! hE iSn’T dOiNg gYmNaStiCs liKE tOM!!11” 

I know this isn’t r/blink182, but people seem to forget he isn’t as hyper as Mark or Tom. As long as he isn’t standing still and looking down at his teleprompter all night, it’s not that bad.

If that was Tom in that video the Matt haters would use it as evidence to Toms stage presence being better then matts.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

https://instagram.com/stories/blink182/2089753425859593062?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=1aekrlqdbobzl

I dunno if this will work but check blinks insta story for some sweet skiba dance moves.

Good thing on mentioning it because I wanted to share it here somehow. They look like they’re genuinely having fun.

Do you really appreciate skiba that much though? I am strictly talking about blink skiba. I think he has zero creative freedom within blink and has been relegated to a touring guitarist.

I know I was excited about what he could bring to the table as his background is quite nice and I saw it as a potential fit to mark's plus 44 period. Certainly did not expect Cali and biomy it be the output. Not that I hate on these, just not what these guys' strengths are.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

Do you really appreciate skiba that much though? I am strictly talking about blink skiba. I think he has zero creative freedom within blink and has been relegated to a touring guitarist.

I know I was excited about what he could bring to the table as his background is quite nice and I saw it as a potential fit to mark's plus 44 period. Certainly did not expect Cali and biomy it be the output. Not that I hate on these, just not what these guys' strengths are.

Absolutely I do. No skiba means no blink. Blink would be dead. So that alone makes me appreciate him. Add the fact that he’s really coming into his own, becoming way more confident on this tour aswell as sounding great the future looks bright.

Who knows what the rest of this new record will bring but I’m really hoping he has more chances to shine.

Mark and Travis decided to move on from Tom, which makes me think if not Matt, it would have been someone else. This was different than the first break up and them two were adamant to continue with blink this time around.

I'm glad this set up works for you man, I am not disappointed but rather the excitement for new blink is not there. Hopefully the new album changes that but the path they are on is not quite my thing. I did enjoy HD a lot though.

10 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

Mark and Travis decided to move on from Tom, which makes me think if not Matt, it would have been someone else. This was different than the first break up and them two were adamant to continue with blink this time around.

I'm glad this set up works for you man, I am not disappointed but rather the excitement for new blink is not there. Hopefully the new album changes that but the path they are on is not quite my thing. I did enjoy HD a lot though.

That’s true that if they hadn’t chose Matt they probably would’ve chosen someone else, but then we’d just be having this same discussion with another persons name. I very highly doubt mark and Travis would give someone else more creative freedom then they have given Matt. Matts a songwriting machine. Regardless of who filled toms shoes we still would’ve ended up on the California/Feldman road, just replace Matt with someone else.

I get the excitement for new music is definitely lower for some fans, but that would more than likely be happening with anybody else who replaced Tom so why not appreciate the fact that Matt is now getting more comfortable in the band and how it’s showing in the live shows?

What's the point of having Matt when your plan is to make a Cali like record? I am not necessarily pointing the finger at him just making note of the fact that his talents and strengths are wasted within blink. And it would be a stretch to say he is doing a remarkable job. Maybe an ok one and it is not even his fault to a large extent.

I'll still take him over Oliver.

• Like 2

It wasn’t necessarily there “plan” but it’s the way it ended up happening. Feldy still would’ve slid his way in and Mark still would’ve have decided to play it safe with the comeback record with a new member. Whether that was Matt or someone else.

Matt skiba had name recognition in the scene or whatever, a previous friendship/working relationship with mark and Travis and there was a great reaction from the fans in regards to the first shows Matt did before the idea of recording an album was even around. That’s why they chose Matt Skiba.

1 hour ago, Ixidor said:

What's the point of having Matt when your plan is to make a Cali like record? I am not necessarily pointing the finger at him just making note of the fact that his talents and strengths are wasted within blink. And it would be a stretch to say he is doing a remarkable job. Maybe an ok one and it is not even his fault to a large extent.

I'll still take him over Oliver.

Devil's advocate here: You can get dark/broody Matt in Alkaline Trio and his side projects. Bubble gum Matt is a side you don't see often. I'm not saying the new blink songs aren't vapid to the core or anything but the hooks are there, they just need to figure out a way to add a little substance.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WimpyDrivesThroughHarlem said:

Devil's advocate here: You can get dark/broody Matt in Alkaline Trio and his side projects. Bubble gum Matt is a side you don't see often. I'm not saying the new blink songs aren't vapid to the core or anything but the hooks are there, they just need to figure out a way to add a little substance.

This is a good point.

However, why not play to his strengths, considering you lost tons of creativity with the departure of Tom? Cali's overall vibe is not consistent with blink's career trajectory. Not to mention the fall out boy wannabe that biomy is. HD and GD provide some glimmer of hope that the band has started to realize who they are today and that trying to recreate enema is unnecessary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russel Coight said:

Absolutely I do. No skiba means no blink. Blink would be dead. So that alone makes me appreciate him. Add the fact that he’s really coming into his own, becoming way more confident on this tour aswell as sounding great the future looks bright.

Who knows what the rest of this new record will bring but I’m really hoping he has more chances to shine.

Not really though.

Just because he walked in a couple circles on stage doesn't mean he's all of a sudden Alk Matt and going to carry blink.  Just being honest here, right now all we have is BIOMY, GD, and HD.  Hard to get really optimistic based on that, seems more like this silly bubble gum experiment we are still on.