Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

3 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

Agreed. But Mark's is more annoying to me for some reason. I think it's when he started doing dad jokes constantly.

I've never minded the dad jokes, I make them all the time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 5:44 PM, Reg said:

They need to get a new live sound guy. Always huge overhead drum sound with no punch, loud muddy bass and mono thin guitar sound. Even if the guitar sound is good it just sounds tiny. Its really not hard having a guitar in stereo. Its necessary when you only have drums, bass and one guitar  

Why cant the guitar sound like this?

This is a genuinely fantastic pop rock song, why the fuck isn't he doing these songs on blink?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

There was definitely some good moments, just genuinely wish it was always a side project, despite the obvious reasons they would never do that.

It was never a good fit, with the direction they were headed, so never really felt ill-will towards Matt other than the live guitar botches, it's not like he had the green light to try and take over the band or have much input.  He could have done better, blink could have included him better, etc etc.  Time to move on.  The thing that made him such a great artist pre-blink was his independent style, he was like the "wow this guy is as cool and talented (for 'pop punk' genre), similar age/everything as Mark/Tom but writing darker music?" WHAT IF guy.  I think we all were excited when we heard him and Mark were going to be writing together, and then we didn't really get that, and then it dragged out for freaking ever.

I hope he galvanizes the lack of input given and writes some stellar shit and we see them on tour or something together one day again.  I am glad 'blink' is back and I am glad Matt is back in Alkaline Trio/solo.  It just makes more sense now.  I don't think the 4 piece would have worked, he was never really a solid member of the band and just would further distance his true identity from the band.

Loved the fill in shows though after Tom initially left, that was some good stuff.  Bored to death was great.  Some bridges he absolutely killed.

Favorite moments: Early live shows, BTD, No Future bridge, Last Train Home, Emo Shit, Runaway, Ransom, (Darkside was probably 'his' best song, but cringey video ruined it, NHTSO tried too hard don't @ me)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vote jan free for all thre said:

There was definitely some good moments, just genuinely wish it was always a side project, despite the obvious reasons they would never do that.

It was never a good fit, with the direction they were headed, so never really felt ill-will towards Matt other than the live guitar botches, it's not like he had the green light to try and take over the band or have much input.  He could have done better, blink could have included him better, etc etc.  Time to move on.  The thing that made him such a great artist pre-blink was his independent style, he was like the "wow this guy is as cool and talented (for 'pop punk' genre), similar age/everything as Mark/Tom but writing darker music?" WHAT IF guy.  I think we all were excited when we heard him and Mark were going to be writing together, and then we didn't really get that, and then it dragged out for freaking ever.

I hope he galvanizes the lack of input given and writes some stellar shit and we see them on tour or something together one day again.  I am glad 'blink' is back and I am glad Matt is back in Alkaline Trio/solo.  It just makes more sense now.  I don't think the 4 piece would have worked, he was never really a solid member of the band and just would further distance his true identity from the band.

Loved the fill in shows though after Tom initially left, that was some good stuff.  Bored to death was great.  Some bridges he absolutely killed.

Favorite moments: Early live shows, BTD, No Future bridge, Last Train Home, Emo Shit, Runaway, Ransom, (Darkside was probably 'his' best song, but cringey video ruined it, NHTSO tried too hard don't @ me)

Well said! Maybe this is all Fan Fiction™️ but it seems like Skiba probably joined 1) for a fun and different experience, 2) for a giant paycheck, and 3) because he thought he could write some cool stuff with Mark and Travis.

After they scrapped an entire album's worth of songs because they weren't "Blink 182 enough," and started making California with Feldmann writing his versions of what Blink should sound like, Skiba probably immediately felt like #3 was out the window and pretty much coasted the entire time from that point on.

So I have some sympathy for him, that was super lame and I doubt he ended up with the job he thought he was signing up for. But at the same time, he technically spent 6-7 years as a member of one of the biggest rock bands in recent generations, playing massive shows, making bank, he was a member of the band for 3 albums, and yet throughout all of it he still seemed like he barely cared to be there and probably regretted it pretty early on. It still seems strange to think that he was ever an official member at all. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Champ182 said:

Well said! Maybe this is all Fan Fiction™️ but it seems like Skiba probably joined 1) for a fun and different experience, 2) for a giant paycheck, and 3) because he thought he could write some cool stuff with Mark and Travis.

After they scrapped an entire album's worth of songs because they weren't "Blink 182 enough," and started making California with Feldmann writing his versions of what Blink should sound like, Skiba probably immediately felt like #3 was out the window and pretty much coasted the entire time from that point on.

So I have some sympathy for him, that was super lame and I doubt he ended up with the job he thought he was signing up for. But at the same time, he technically spent 6-7 years as a member of one of the biggest rock bands in recent generations, playing massive shows, making bank, he was a member of the band for 3 albums, and yet throughout all of it he still seemed like he barely cared to be there and probably regretted it pretty early on. It still seems strange to think that he was ever an official member at all. 

I mean this is 100% what happened.  It's not even fan fiction.  Just look at his face/eys/entire demeanor from early shows to post California shit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Neal said:

can you imagine getting the opportunity to tour arenas with blink as a guitarist and not be arsed to learn how to play WMAA properly? 

Fuck you talking about? When did Tom ever play things properly? You literally have no legs to stand on 

• Like 1
  • Crab 1

2 minutes ago, steve_french517 said:

why is the skiba hate so creepy? 

I think it's coming from the same totally-straight-men-who-have-a-unhealthy-obsession-with-tom delonge crowd.

Not sure, I haven't run into many Skiba haters or Unhealthy Obsession With Tom people on this board. I'm sure there is plenty of overlap between those groups though haha