Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

1 hour ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

Tom's shitty angsty compliment to Marks mellow calm voice is literally what Blink 182 IS.  I guarantee that's a main aspect that even drew you to listening to Blink.

Definitely should apologize.

LOL, Tom's voice was the number one thing I always had to apologize for to my friends that weren't into blink that I tried to get into blink.  I always enjoyed Tom's voice in the band to an extent, but for me it was the worst part of their studio recordings after Scott left.   Again, it was always servicable, and worked well enough for the band, but I always knew that someone could sound better singing Tom's parts in the band while complimenting Mark's voice, and for me Skiba has already proven it, not only do I not feel any need to apologize to friends I try to get into blink now for Matt's voice, but also I prefer how he sounds live singing Tom songs than I think Tom sounded on the studio recordings.  For example, I love how Skiba sounds singing Dysentary Gary, would love to have a studio recording of that.  Yeah, you may think I "should apologize" but that's just foolish, I'm not going to be sorry for who I am and the fact that our opinions don't line up; that's life, get over it.

• Like 1

as always, i really haven't time to read all 7 pages, and I respect each opinion here, but I think that matt is cool. I really like him. imo, he is a good musician, good guitarist. I like his voice, especially in heavens and in my favorite matt Skiba and the sekrets, deep, a bit dark voice. and he is obviously give himself completely to what he's doing.

12 minutes ago, M!ke said:

LOL, Tom's voice was the number one thing I always had to apologize for to my friends that weren't into blink that I tried to get into blink.  I always enjoyed Tom's voice in the band to an extent, but for me it was the worst part of their studio recordings after Scott left.   Again, it was always servicable, and worked well enough for the band, but I always knew that someone could sound better singing Tom's parts in the band while complimenting Mark's voice, and for me Skiba has already proven it, not only do I not feel any need to apologize to friends I try to get into blink now for Matt's voice, but also I prefer how he sounds live singing Tom songs than I think Tom sounded on the studio recordings.  For example, I love how Skiba sounds singing Dysentary Gary, would love to have a studio recording of that.  Yeah, you may think I "should apologize" but that's just foolish, I'm not going to be sorry for who I am and the fact that our opinions don't line up; that's life, get over it.

Why do you apologise to your friends for the music you like? Weird post.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ...Dan... said:

Lets face it, it's pretty clear that Skiba just loves blink for the money. He's pretty much the same as Tom (just better at hiding it), once he's earned enough and had all he can take of being a session musician puppet to Mark and Feldmann he will bail and start writing/making the music he enjoys again for Trio and his other projects. 

He's just buzzing to be earning more money than he ever has when he's well past his best and coming to the end of his life cycle as a recording/touring musician. Don't blame the guy tbh, most people would milk the cash cow exactly the same in his shoes. The arrangement works for Mark too as he gets a bitch who will just follow orders and not challenge him as he doesn't want to get thrown off the blink-182 gravy train. 

Be interested to know if any of the big California fans think there is any hint of validity in what I've said here? You may think I've overblown it which I have a bit for comedic effect but I think you're kidding yourself if you think they're is no hint of truth at all in it...

23 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Why do you apologise to your friends for the music you like? Weird post.

It's not entirely an apology I guess, but it was always like "Hey, I know that this guy's voice is kinda shitty, but listen past that, to the instrumentation, the lyrics, and the other guy's voice, and I think you'll be able to understand what it is that I enjoy about this band."

• Like 1

I remember when the Heart's All Gone rough mix was released. But Tom & Mark both were trading vocals like Feeling This/Pathetic for the live version. People loved that live version and were hoping the finished version of that track had them both singing. Tom even during Neighborhoods had the perfect voice to compliment Mark IMO. It's one of the reasons why I love Kaleidoscope. Ghost on the Dance Floor verses were great when Mark came in. The pre-chorus of Boxing Day is one of the most blink sounding moments to me. Nobody compliments them better than the other. I'd argue the girl from +44 compliments Mark's voice better than Skiba. Even Love is Dangerous, they both compliment each other brilliantly I think.

There are certain AVA tracks where you can tell Mark would fit in perfectly as well. Anybody that is trying to say there are people better to compliment Mark's voice, I just have a feeling they'd never say this if Tom was still in the band. Fair enough if they genuinely can't stand Tom's voice, but people are just grasping for straws now IMO. The best ever feature of blink was Tom & Mark trading off vocals with each other, and that includes both the pre-hiatus days and the reunion/Neighborhoods days. That's just my opinion. Skiba & Mark sound too similar, although I find Skiba is able to hit higher notes better than Mark. That isn't why I'm not keen on the direction they've taken with California though. I just can't stand modern pop punk music and that's what majority of California sounds like. Blink make it slightly bearable to listen to because they are better than the modern pop punk trash, even if they're trying to sound like a modern pop punk band themselves.

But they're capable of so much more. Can't remember the last time I listened to California in full. The album outside of a few songs is already starting to sound dated to me. Meanwhile, I've been blasting +44 and Alkaline Trio tunes 10 years after their release. +44 still sound ahead of their time. I'd say +44 is better than Boxcar Racer. Both Mark & Skiba are capable of way more than the stuff they've released so far together. They've both proven they can progress beyond pop punk. Mark has proven it even in blink (Kaleidoscope, Fighting the Gravity, Here's Your Letter, Stockholm Syndrome). Skiba meanwhile had his Sekrets album released a couple of years ago, which to me sounds way better than California.

Nobody will ever replace the vocal trade offs that Mark & Tom offered together. Feldman can try force Mark & Skiba to sing different verses as many times as he wants, it won't be done any better than what Mark & Tom did in that department IMO (Neighborhoods included). But that doesn't mean Mark & Skiba aren't capable of bringing something completely new to the table that nobody but them could create together. They haven't done that so far though IMO. Hopefully they can do it. I believe they can.

• Like 1

The problem is not Matt, He is way more talented than Mark as a songwriter/musician all in all. The problem is that his influence doesn't show. 
I actually think that Teenage Satellites is the one it shows the most, that chorus could have been on the last Trio album for sure. 

The problem here though is Feldy and everyone except Ghent knows it.

1 minute ago, Since88 said:

The problem is not Matt, He is way more talented than Mark as a songwriter/musician all in all. The problem is that his influence doesn't show. 
I actually think that Teenage Satellites is the one it shows the most, that chorus could have been on the last Trio album for sure. 

The problem here though is Feldy and everyone except Ghent know it.

I'm pretty sure, he's not. Maybe he's better at lyrics but his musical skills and talents are really weak. He can barely write a riff, he recycles chord sequences, he recycles vocal melodies, he can't even play Tom's parts at the concerts. People tend to overestimate Matt only because he has a more serious image and no songs about dicks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, alex_dept. said:

I'm pretty sure, he's not. Maybe he's better at lyrics but his musical skills and talents are really weak. He can barely write a riff, he recycles chord sequences, he recycles vocal melodies, he can't even play Tom's parts at the concerts. People tend to overestimate Matt only because he has a more serious image and no songs about dicks.

yeah man...Tom NEVVVVVVVVERRRRRR recycles ANYTHING...totally...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Since88 said:

The problem here though is Feldy and everyone except Ghent knows it.

Basically. And them three for accepting it all.

• Like 2

"i shat the bed, layed there in it, thinking of you, wide awake for days"

I think he thinks he can't write the dark lyrics he used to write. He probably wants or thinks Travis and Mark expect this from him. And just like someone above said, Feldman fucks up a lot of their sound

Sad, but give him some time. He's probably developing a new style or needs to adapt more.

3 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

And you believe that Mark could play Tom's parts at the concert!?

3 hours ago, alex_dept. said:

I mean even Oliver can replace him. He showed us that very clearly...

9 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

yeah man...Tom NEVVVVVVVVERRRRRR recycles ANYTHING...totally...

Yes, he does. but definitely not as much. And Mark does, all of them do. Bored to death is a mix of recycled parts (typical Mark's verses Am-C, generic chorus, First Date bridge).