Jump to content
 

Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread


Mr Blonde
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume Mark has enough money to get top-of-the-line healthcare in any country and would likely have gotten fancy private medical care during his time in England.

sure. i'm just listing the wonderful things about the UK in general.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

That’s a great stage presence for any standards. Matt. Tom. Anybody.

That’s what I thought. He’s doing fine. Only said Matt standards because you’ll have the occasional “bUt hE’s jUsT wAlKiNg aRoUnD!! hE iSn’T dOiNg gYmNaStiCs liKE tOM!!11” 

I know this isn’t r/blink182, but people seem to forget he isn’t as hyper as Mark or Tom. As long as he isn’t standing still and looking down at his teleprompter all night, it’s not that bad.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, jlx9 said:

That’s what I thought. He’s doing fine. Only said Matt standards because you’ll have the occasional “bUt hE’s jUsT wAlKiNg aRoUnD!! hE iSn’T dOiNg gYmNaStiCs liKE tOM!!11” 

I know this isn’t r/blink182, but people seem to forget he isn’t as hyper as Mark or Tom. As long as he isn’t standing still and looking down at his teleprompter all night, it’s not that bad.

If that was Tom in that video the Matt haters would use it as evidence to Toms stage presence being better then matts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you really appreciate skiba that much though? I am strictly talking about blink skiba. I think he has zero creative freedom within blink and has been relegated to a touring guitarist.

I know I was excited about what he could bring to the table as his background is quite nice and I saw it as a potential fit to mark's plus 44 period. Certainly did not expect Cali and biomy it be the output. Not that I hate on these, just not what these guys' strengths are.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

Do you really appreciate skiba that much though? I am strictly talking about blink skiba. I think he has zero creative freedom within blink and has been relegated to a touring guitarist.

I know I was excited about what he could bring to the table as his background is quite nice and I saw it as a potential fit to mark's plus 44 period. Certainly did not expect Cali and biomy it be the output. Not that I hate on these, just not what these guys' strengths are.

Absolutely I do. No skiba means no blink. Blink would be dead. So that alone makes me appreciate him. Add the fact that he’s really coming into his own, becoming way more confident on this tour aswell as sounding great the future looks bright.

Who knows what the rest of this new record will bring but I’m really hoping he has more chances to shine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mark and Travis decided to move on from Tom, which makes me think if not Matt, it would have been someone else. This was different than the first break up and them two were adamant to continue with blink this time around.

I'm glad this set up works for you man, I am not disappointed but rather the excitement for new blink is not there. Hopefully the new album changes that but the path they are on is not quite my thing. I did enjoy HD a lot though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Ixidor said:

Mark and Travis decided to move on from Tom, which makes me think if not Matt, it would have been someone else. This was different than the first break up and them two were adamant to continue with blink this time around.

I'm glad this set up works for you man, I am not disappointed but rather the excitement for new blink is not there. Hopefully the new album changes that but the path they are on is not quite my thing. I did enjoy HD a lot though.

That’s true that if they hadn’t chose Matt they probably would’ve chosen someone else, but then we’d just be having this same discussion with another persons name. I very highly doubt mark and Travis would give someone else more creative freedom then they have given Matt. Matts a songwriting machine. Regardless of who filled toms shoes we still would’ve ended up on the California/Feldman road, just replace Matt with someone else.

I get the excitement for new music is definitely lower for some fans, but that would more than likely be happening with anybody else who replaced Tom so why not appreciate the fact that Matt is now getting more comfortable in the band and how it’s showing in the live shows?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the point of having Matt when your plan is to make a Cali like record? I am not necessarily pointing the finger at him just making note of the fact that his talents and strengths are wasted within blink. And it would be a stretch to say he is doing a remarkable job. Maybe an ok one and it is not even his fault to a large extent.

I'll still take him over Oliver.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wasn’t necessarily there “plan” but it’s the way it ended up happening. Feldy still would’ve slid his way in and Mark still would’ve have decided to play it safe with the comeback record with a new member. Whether that was Matt or someone else.

Matt skiba had name recognition in the scene or whatever, a previous friendship/working relationship with mark and Travis and there was a great reaction from the fans in regards to the first shows Matt did before the idea of recording an album was even around. That’s why they chose Matt Skiba.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...