Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

He's got pretty bad mental health problems and touring is too much for him I think, I imagine he'll be in the studio with them and they'll just bring a touring drummer for now on. Alk3 don't exactly tour a shit ton to be too concerned by it. 

22 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

For us maybe lol. A lot of alk3 fans are a bit anti travis as drummer based on that Facebook group. When it was said Derek wasn’t playing I saw a lot of people there saying he overplays etc and wouldn’t be a good fit.

tbh I agree. Travis is easily one of the best drummers in the world but I don't think his style would suit alk3 at all, they're a bit more straight forward musically and I just don't think they'd go. Derek's style works great in alk3 and he's a really great drummer as well. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Russel Coight said:

For us maybe lol. A lot of alk3 fans are a bit anti travis as drummer based on that Facebook group. When it was said Derek wasn’t playing I saw a lot of people there saying he overplays etc and wouldn’t be a good fit.

I kind of agree with them. I won't deny the fact that Travis is one of the best drummers in the world but, as someone who prefers a more straight forward approach to drums, I've never really been a huge fan of his style. I always preferred the Scott versions of older songs, however, I do realize and acknowledge Travis brought more to them, I just never really cared all that much. 

• Like 4

Seems like something happened halfway through the NINE recording process because they were all BFFs and then suddenly it was crickets. I’m not sure if he got super butthurt when they told him the original NINE sessions weren’t gonna cut it and went to other producers, or if Mark going with Zakk (his former protege) for SC caused issues or what.

He still produced quite a few songs on NINE, but still feels like something happened. It’s night and day compared to how they were all acting towards each other during Cali/DLX.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kay said:

it's not an album it's like 2 songs apparently.

sorry, I got carried away by the excitement of the alk3 fans and read over the part where he said, sorry, it's not an album. A few songs make more sense. One is supposed to sound like from the Goddamnit (which they really recorded in like 5 days) era and it makes me super curious.

• Like 1