Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

17 hours ago, Kay said:

I have them on shuffle on occasion - I actually think I've listened to the older stuff more since California came out to wash away the taste. 

I'm with you on this Kay!
There's like 4, maybe 5 songs I can handle from that album (along with Deluxe) but that's it.
If I listen to Blink now, it's all old stuff!

On 9/26/2018 at 11:09 PM, Cali Denial Cape said:

To build off Nasa's positive activity, these are the ones I still keep on my active playlist

Here's Your Letter

Natives

Kaleidoscope

Emo

Lemmings

Waggy

Easy Target

+44 - Lilian

AvA-Wolfpack

For some reason they always feel fresh

Sometimes I'll listen to a random blink song and realize "holy shit, this is awesome" and play it multiple times over several days. Lately that song has been Kaleidoscope- Mark's parts on that song are classic melodic Mark. I also like the remix versions of Wolfpack from the Dream Walker demos (I think there's two?)

Anyway, back to Skiba- nothing against the guy, but he just wasn't what I grew up with. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, two said:

Sometimes I'll listen to a random blink song and realize "holy shit, this is awesome" and play it multiple times over several days. Lately that song has been Kaleidoscope- Mark's parts on that song are classic melodic Mark. I also like the remix versions of Wolfpack from the Dream Walker demos (I think there's two?)

Anyway, back to Skiba- nothing against the guy, but he just wasn't what I grew up with. 

Pretty sure Kaleidoscope is considered the biggest grower song on the boards.  Most people didn't like it at first now all can agree a top 3 NH songs.  Didn't know there was two versions of Wolfpack, I insanely love that chorus, will need to check it out.

And yeah, nothing against Skiba, but he can go fuck himself.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ghent said:

Most people didn’t like Neighborhoods at all, then certain songs started growing fan bases.

im still the This is Home fan club prez

Ugh that's still the worst song to me. On that Cali level bad.

I'm a Fighting the Gravity supporter though.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2018 at 4:13 PM, Ghent said:

Most people didn’t like Neighborhoods at all, then certain songs started growing fan bases.

This Is Home rules. The weirdest backlash to that song was people thinking it sounded like AVA just because they dared to use a synth. It sounds directly inspired by the poppier Cure songs like Just Like Heaven, rather than the spacey ethereal U2/Coldplay style AVA goes for.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, Ghent said:

I remember you loving This is Home haha. I like the song, just I feel it suffers for the same reasons most of the other songs from that album suffers from. Never understood the hate of the I-I-I and oh-oh-oh thing in the chorus though. It works well IMO.

1 hour ago, Champ182 said:

This Is Home rules. The weirdest backlash to that song was people thinking it sounded like AVA just because they dared to use a synth. It sounds directly inspired by the poppier Cure songs like Just Like Heaven, rather than the spacey ethereal U2/Coldplay style AVA goes for.

I agree. I don't get any AVA vibes at all from the song. The riff is blink sounding. The verses are blink sounding. The bridge was probably the most enema sounding thing of the whole album. Just a pure pop punk song with the influences of the Cure. I feel the smiley face album has more AVA sounding tracks.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2018 at 1:47 PM, Patient #48273 said:

Most people didn't like Kaleidoscope at first? I don't remember that.

I remember hearing the intro and immediately assuming "sigh, another song that Mark recorded the guitar for" and kind of dismissing it (which is understandable given that it's close in proximity to MH 4.18.2011 which is an uninspired, Mark guitar song). 
After hearing it a couple of times, the verses stood out to me a lot and it became one of my favourite songs on the album. I do remember it getting more love on here like months/years after Neighborhoods had been released, though. 

• Like 1

I don't know, I did a quick search and scanned through posts from when Neighborhoods first leaked and most people seemed to have a positive opinion of it. I don't think it was many people's favourite track and overall people probably do appreciate it more now than they did initially, but I think it was reasonably well received.

Well, if you're going to make me...

Spoiler
On 9/14/2011 at 8:45 AM, dildo69er said:

Kaleidoscope is VERY indie ish

On 9/14/2011 at 9:49 AM, unicornslut said:

Kaleidoscope should be the next single best so far :)

On 9/14/2011 at 10:11 AM, Apollo182 said:

Kaleidoscope reminds me of Blink version of Make You Smile, and that was my favourite +44 song.

On 9/14/2011 at 10:34 AM, nfnpete said:

Favourite song so far is probably Kaleidoscope!

On 9/14/2011 at 10:58 AM, Mikerulez101 said:

Tom really came through in the blink department, Natives, Kaleidoscope, Ghost On The Dance Floor, Wishing Well, Snake Charmer, all amazing songs.

On 9/14/2011 at 2:55 PM, Rinkydink said:

Such a solid album. The songs that stand out the most for me right now are Ghost on the Dancefloor, Wishing Well and Kaleidoscope.

On 9/14/2011 at 3:59 PM, showmethebathroommirror said:

Kaleidoscope is a real standout, especially like Mark's bits, "I can dance to anything you wanna sing..."

On 9/14/2011 at 7:15 PM, billy said:

Then you have a song like kaleidoscope where mark sorta brings in the indie vibe which at first is a bit odd, but works in the overall context of the song. 

On 9/14/2011 at 10:08 PM, Ghent said:

the bridge in kaleidoscope (2:24) sounds like the guitar tone in Cheshire Cat!

On 9/14/2011 at 11:41 PM, Adrian DX said:

Kaleidoscope - 7/10 - Great to hear more from Mark at this point, it's got awesome Travis parts. The chorus is catchy. Overall a good song, fresh breath of air. I assume the album is halfway-ish split between Tom and Mark's songs.

On 9/15/2011 at 1:48 AM, atticus18244fsas said:

9. Kaleidoscope 7/10

This song kinda of annoys me.  The riff is repetive and annoying.  It is totally a +44 sounding song which is not a bad thing but it really isn't a blink sounding song.  Tom's chorus really is the only redeeming part of this track.

On 9/15/2011 at 4:10 PM, Ghent said:

9. Kaleidoscope 9/10

I think this will end up being one of my favorite on the album. Love the lyrics and the general vibe of the song. The chorus and verses are nothing alike but they still end up working perfectly together. Kind of the story of the album really.

On 9/15/2011 at 8:06 PM, Art Vandelay-182 said:

9- kaleidoscope- another highlight. The verses and chorus don't really go well together, they almost sound like 2 different songs but then i went back and listened to it again and i'm starting to "get" what they did. I love the drop D bit in the bridge but I was REALLY HOPING for a heavy octave lead part like they do in the pre chorus or the bridge in Love is Dangerous

On 9/15/2011 at 9:29 PM, b00bies said:

kaleidoscope.

can i say holy shit to a piano. that little piece makes you feel like you are dreaming, pay attention what's travis doing - he's crazy i swear. and tom sing so good like he needs help or something. emotional song. bridge could be better. i feel like it's missing something. i think it could be better if mark sang the whole thing. maybe im wrong. fuck it. tom did great. but still missing something. 7/10

On 9/16/2011 at 3:58 AM, atedros said:

Kaleidoscope sounds groovy and really digging the guitar and piano

On 9/17/2011 at 3:05 AM, Rinkydink said:

Kaleidoscope - 7/10

For some reason this song got WORSE for me as I listened to it more, no idea why. Still a good song, just the whole sound of it doesn't really hit it off with me.

On 9/18/2011 at 5:18 AM, Kvothe said:

Kaleidoscope:

Another great song just because both Mark and Tom sing on it.  I think Mark's portion of the song is stronger, his vocals and lyrics fit the mood of the song better IMO.

8/10

On 9/18/2011 at 12:19 PM, Hoggert said:

Kaleidoscope

Oh, this is good. I get that melancholic +44 feeling, like i felt back in 06, that fall, i listned to those dark songs and walked around in the woods. I wanna do the same thing when i hear this song. The outro is trippy. And the chorus, wow. Dark lyrics. I picture Tom driving in the night, thinking about what the fuck is happening in his life.

9/10

On 9/18/2011 at 12:31 PM, thisisjasper said:

kaleidoscope is best song on the album.

On 9/19/2011 at 6:59 AM, AudioFranzzz said:

Kaleidoscope

Cool Blink song, allthough it just sounds rushed. Could've been much better.

7/10

On 9/19/2011 at 7:36 PM, Webb819 said:

Kaleidoscope - Opens with a dark Drop D guitar intro and I already know what kind of song its going to be. I like the piano and Mark's lines in the intro, and the progression of Travis's drums that leads into Tom's chorus. His drumming is also pretty cool, switching up beats and always keeping it fresh. Cool bridge with some heavy chords. Lyrics stuck in my head for this one as well. 9/10

On 9/19/2011 at 10:54 PM, Donald Trump's Bulge said:

Kaleidoscope: 9/10. Probably the best song "duel" song off the album. The guitar at the beginning really catches me off guard because it feels like John Fogerty is playing or something. But it's a good thing. Tom's vocals once again sounds amazing. When he comes in with that chorus it just gives me that feeling that I havven't had in 8 years.

...Standout tracks: Hearts All Gone, Wishing Well, Kaleidoscope, Love is Dangerous.

Tied for 4th here

These posts are all from the week or so after the album leaked. Only a handful of people seemed to dislike it, a number of people thought it was kind of middling and most people liked it/mentioned it as a favourite. I'm not saying complaints didn't creep up eventually, but people generally did like it at first.

• Like 2

I am surprised to see that much positive reception. Maybe what I was thinking of is the praise it received much afterwards - not so much that people didn't appreciate it right away, but more people jumped on board or the song grew more on people over time? I don't know, but it still gets mentioned as one of the stronger tracks from Neighborhoods, whereas Wishing Well/Even if She Falls have had their hype die down over the years.

3 minutes ago, Patient #48273 said:

Well, if you're going to make me...

Hide contents

Tied for 4th here

These posts are all from the week or so after the album leaked. Only a handful of people seemed to dislike it, a number of people thought it was kind of middling and most people liked it/mentioned it as a favourite. I'm not saying complaints didn't creep up eventually, but people generally did like it at first.

RIP tons of old board members