Matt Skiba Appreciation Thread

Scott.

1 minute ago, platypus409 said:

Noooo! I always preferred Skiba but with no Dan it'd be Alkaline Duo. Unless Feldmann becomes the 3rd member.

hah I know.  I have all of their albums and literally usually skip Dan's songs.  His voice really bugs me. 

Except Crawl...that song is 12/10.

Dan is great and right now he is the better songwriter in Alkaline Trio. People may not like his voice, but, in the last 10 years he definitely wrote the best songs out of their latest albums. And I love his solo project. 

• Like 1

Dan is amazing, most of my favourite Trio songs are Dan numbers. Crawl, If We Never Go Inside, I Pessimist, The Poison, Another Innocent Girl... mans a beast. his solo stuff is a bit rubbish though. 

• Like 2

I definitely prefer Matt's voice to Dan's, by quite a lot. But I don't hate Dan songs. There are some really great ones.

With that said I'm not a huge Alkaline Trio fan so I don't have a lot to base this on. I've been listening to them a lot more than I used to ever since Matt joined blink. Weirdly my current favorite Alkaline album is Damnesia. I'm a sucker for acoustic. I would absolutely love for blink-182 to release an acoustic album someday.

I just saw Dan with Matt Pryor on the acoustic tour they're doing.  Really weird seeing Dan loading his own equipment into a van at my local dive bar after playing in front of like ~50 people while Skiba is becoming a millionaire in arenas.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up having issues if/when Trio comes back.

On the recent podcast that was posted a few days ago, in which Skiba talks wider about tons of things, I kinda had the fell about Derek and Dan not being as comfortable with all of this as it looked at the beginning. I remember Mat saying something like he felt about them or something similar.

2 hours ago, Ghent's Brother said:

I just saw Dan with Matt Pryor on the acoustic tour they're doing.  Really weird seeing Dan loading his own equipment into a van at my local dive bar after playing in front of like ~50 people while Skiba is becoming a millionaire in arenas.  Wouldn't surprise me if they end up having issues if/when Trio comes back.

Hey, I'm actually going to this tour too. 

I'm sure if Skiba gives him a hundred grand or so, I'm sure he'd be fine.

• Like 1

Say Skiba rides out this coming tour and maybe another album and tour cycle with blink.. if Alkaline Trio gets back together for a substantial run, they will have tons of newfound exposure and attention. It will be great for the band.

Unless you prefer that they continue playing discography club shows for the rest of their career, of course.

Big difference between his situation and Tom's. First off, Matt isn't straddling both bands like a dickweed. Second, blink is the bigger band and it would make no sense to prioritize the smaller band that was on a downhill skid to begin with. Third, Skiba's situation benefits Alkaline Trio in the long run by gaining them future exposure when the time is right for them to make a push.

Matt is not some kind of greedy ass hole now just because he's making a run with a different, more successful band.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kevin. said:

there's no way dan and derek are cool with matt's situation right now. i'm sure they were happy at first, but they're probably having the same issues that blink had with tom in the past when he'd blow them off for AVA. alkaline trio is their source for money and they don't play in any other successful bands. 

I was gonna say this. Matt is becoming the Alkaline Trio's Tom.

Well, not exactly because they are not delaying anything in public, I do't know what's going ont behind the curtains, though. But, you know...

TOM, LOOK WHAT YOU DID.