6/8 thread (*now's a good time to check it)

Jan Backing Track

Most tolerable Matt by far.  Really appreciate the strive to be more creative and uniqueness on this one.

The talking was legit good.

It's not really memorable, and not recognizable as Blink, but it's probably their best release since forming, or at least top 5.  

This just makes me wish now they were a new band altogether, because I can get on board with songs like this and it seems more present, and like what you'd expect from an older Mark & Matt.  Would have been a cool new band forsure and not have pressure to do janky sell out songs 

So thats what "Rushing Rivers" was!

I listened to it once on my mac speakers so won't give a proper run down but - 

BEST SONG SINCE TOM LEFT. EASILY.

and also, am I the only one who found the talking part kind of stupid?

The future of blink has suddenly looked a lot brighter than it has before. 

I think we were all in agreement that California was a safe record. A 'name back on the map' record. But we (the majority) wanted something different next time around. A tad darker, more progressive. I believe we are well on our way. Sure, Parking Lot wasn't the greatest but it was in no way terrible. Plus they said they only recorded it as the album was too dark and they felt they needed a fast happy song. Joke song doesn't count so let's dismiss that entirely. Now...

Misery

6/8

Fuck me. Easily the 2 best songs since Skiba joined. This feels like him taking control, driving the band forward and getting the best out of Mark. My hopes are ridiculously high now, not just for the rest of the album, but for the future of Blink going forward. 

(Cue me pissing and moaning in 2 weeks when the next song drops). 

• Like 9

The Good:

- Travis fucking crushes it. I love when he busts into the fast 4/4 beat that still fits into the 6/8 time signature.

- Changes up the Cali formula. No na-na's and oh-oh's. I like having Mark way out in front as the lead singer of a song.

- I like that they're bringing out some more experimentation with the production

The Bad:

- The song shares nothing in common with anything I've ever liked about Blink 182. It sounds like 2005 screamo mixed with shitty "modern rock" radio. Just not my taste in music whatsoever.

I'll always love Blink and follow them religiously, but it's pretty clear after hearing an album and a half that this version of the band just has a totally different vibe/mindset regarding music and I can't expect them to revert back to greatness. They've moved onto a strange new dimension haha

giphy-downsized.gif

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

I want to put my fist thru my work computer right now!!!!!!!!!!!! its not loading on youtube, I am hearing the first 10 seconds and it stops. So that means I'll have to wait 3 hours. I just can't deal with this

Try Spotify maybe?

• Like 1

Liking the chorus' melody. Nothing spectacular, but this song has something. At least, on the first listens it sounds interesting and makes me want to play it again (Sam). Getting some Los Angeles vibes, which is not a bad thing. It doesn't sound like blink either, but it doesn't in a good way. This is a step on the right direction. At least, if you're gonna change your sound, make it far from the generic punk pop sound. This is closer to that.

Someone mentioned The Used, I get that too. This is the most interesting deluxe song by far.

Good effort.

• Like 1

A song like this makes me wonder what a song like MH147213984739 would have sounded like if Skiba were to have collaborated on it.  (Heck I wonder what that song could have been if Tom actually collaborated on it).  Because overall I don't like MH835389257, but there is a spark of this kind of sound in that song I think, and it really helps to have someone like Skiba to take that sound and clearly give his unique input to help transform the sound into something truly special.

20 minutes ago, Champ182 said:

The Good:

- Travis fucking crushes it. I love when he busts into the fast 4/4 beat that still fits into the 6/8 time signature.

- Changes up the Cali formula. No na-na's and oh-oh's. I like having Mark way out in front as the lead singer of a song.

- I like that they're bringing out some more experimentation with the production

The Bad:

- The song shares nothing in common with anything I've ever liked about Blink 182. It sounds like 2005 screamo mixed with shitty "modern rock" radio. Just not my taste in music whatsoever.

I'll always love Blink and follow them religiously, but it's pretty clear after hearing an album and a half that this version of the band just has a totally different vibe/mindset regarding music and I can't expect them to revert back to greatness. They've moved onto a strange new dimension haha

giphy-downsized.gif

Exactly my thoughts, especially 2nd part.

• Like 1

Well that was...different. I think I liked it? The chorus was a little underwhelming, and it's not totally my genre of music; but I still really enjoy how it actually sounds like a genuine song that's not manufactured. Even if they made a whole album that sounded like that and it wasn't totally my thing, I couldn't rag on it because it actually sounds good at least. My guess is most of their music sounded like that when they recorded on their own. Obviously it doesn't sound like blink and more of an emo +44 so I can understand how they would have wanted to go to Feldmann because with the feelings of having to prove themselves that blink should keep going, I'm sure they felt like they had to make sure their first release actually sounded like what you'd expect from blink. The best part is definitely when Travis shifts the drumming in the second verse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ungroovy said:

I really like it. I also love Matt kinda screaming over the chorus, and his pieces in general, it fits so well and sounds awesome. I just really like Matt with blink, man, his voice is grand.

Overall very cool song, yay!

Agreed. I always liked the choice of Matt.  He really seems like a great fit.  And while his style hasn't been incredibly blatant, it has really done a great job of shining through and complementing these new blink songs in songs like this, Bored To Death, and Misery.  I really do dig this new Skiba-era of blink.

well, well. this is a  very good song. mature and conscious.

when matt starting to say "you are afraid...." and next their "in between whispers and screams..." really makes me cry a bit, haha. amazing moment, imo.

also, lyrics is very heavy and deep. like it. like it so much.

this is what we've been waiting for.

Haven't seen a single negative overall opinion on reddit of the 200 or so comments. Most are giving it high praise and those that aren't into the genre still appreciate that it's different and actually sounds like something that wasn't manufactured. Definitely the best initial impressions of any song from the California era by far. The band should take note.

• Like 5

I've decided I like it. This and Misery are really good. Parking lot is fucking disgusting. 

I can't believe I'm saying this because I also slag off people who mention production but these songs could be so much better without Feldman. It's still too poppy imo. Do blink really think this is heavy?? Jesus. Feldman has diluted the heaviness but I do like it but still feels like a bit like 5sos with swear words

• Like 3