I couldn't find a thread for it - 

I know most people here don't give a crap about YouTube on a large scale, or care much about following particular YouTubers, but I also know that myself and @Nasa are huge Phillip Defranco fans so I figure maybe some of you like some specific youtubers / accounts.

So I'll list a couple of my go to channels - 

IHE (I Hate Everything) 

^ This is just to give you an idea of the formula. he's basically a negative, whiny, cynical brit who bashes everything to a ridiculous level. Tbh I watch him because it's nice to find someone in the universe who gets just as unneccessarily angry as I do over nothing.

He has a lot of "I Hate _______ " videos, and some random weird and youtube related crap in the middle, but he also has his "Search for the worst" series, which is basically him watching some of the worst films ever, reviewing and organising them to find the ultimate 'worst' film. These are surprisingly entertaining, I think I've seen the "amazing bulk" one three times now because he's just genuinely quite entertaining. There's lots of film reviewer type youtubers out there who are more nuanced, or amusing, but I think IHE has the right balance of intelligence and pure anger that tickles me. 

Passion Of The Nerd 

Yeah, it's an entire youtube channel doing analysis of every buffy episode ever. he's started on Angel too! I think his eventual goal is to cover a lot of shows (I know Star Trek Next Gen is on the list) but I literally love Buffy, and I love witty and intellectual thoughts on Buffy, because despite being a silly 90s show about vampires it helped shaped me as a human and means as much to me as blink does. If there was a youtube channel dedicated to critically analysing blink-182 to a obsessive degree, I'd love that too. hell I'd start it. 

This is a great side viewing if you've ever kind of liked Buffy and wanted to give it a whirl from the beginning, because it gives you an idea of the worth watching and not worth watching episodes. I don't always agree with him, but he gives fantastic insight. plus it keeps the buffyverse alive for me, for a little while longer. 

Brett Novak

Brett Novak does breath taking film making... of skateboarders. I watch a lot of skateboarding stuff on youtube and this guys work is just kind of mesmerising. the example I've posted is from his 'ShortSided' series, which he posts every monday. It's a different skateboarder, different location, different trick. it's just nicely filmed versions of very interesting tricks. I also support him on Patreon, because he has quite few subscribers considering the quality of his content. He also has longer short skateboarding 'films' too. He's also a very nice dude who listened to my music so that's cool!

Rob Scallon

There's a lot of youtube musicians, specifically guitarists, and as a guitarist and musician myself I barely watch them and usually find them *super* annoying, However Rob Scallon is just immensely talented yet humble. Dude can play basically any instrument he tries to a ridiculously good level and he does a lot of interesting things writing challenges or just really weird and innovative covers.

The one I've posted here is a "write a song on just one fret" challenge, and it isnt the most inventive one he's done by any means, I just love the song itself. He does a lot of solo guitar pieces, an album of which is available on Spotify which I highly recommend. the dudes just the boss of instruments and he has some fantastic - and funny - videos on his channel. Note : A lot of it is metal, but a lot of it isn't, it's worth checking out. 

Internet Comment Etiquette (With Eric!)

tbh, these are just funny af. 'nuff said. 

There's definitely more that I'd highlight and I'm not saying these are the best youtube has to offer by a mile, its just the crap I watch. Anyone else have any channels they're big fans of and want to highlight? 

• Like 2

I like the Shane Dawson conspiracy vids. They're so stupid and silly but I can't help myself. I don't watch any other of his stuff. I like reaction vids too. I watc the fine bros channel quite a bit

• Wow 1

17 minutes ago, MattSkibbasuxatguitar said:

Honestly I hate YouTubers because I'm jealous.. Some of these guys make 6 figures just for fucking followers on quick weekly videos updates

theres a lot of people making bank on minimal effort, but theres also people who put a lot of work into their videos. That Brett Novak guy I posted is a great example, he has ridiculous equipment, and knows his shit, and travels everywhere to do that series and he is definitely not making much of any money off it. 

• Like 1

can't say as i follow any commentators or whatever. that stuff always irritated me. i have some youtube channels i love, though:

there's this guy named aliantos that makes very disturbing and inspired YTP's, essentially, of carl sagan and king of the hill episodes. KOTH is a YTP staple, and there's so much YTP you have to sift through half-hearted shit to get to great stuff (Durhamrockerz is a legend, cs188 is a legend but focuses too much on lowbrow, and KroboProductions is a legend-in-the-making as well). aliantos took it to a whole new level IMO. they're definitely YTP's, but he refers to them as "edits" and there's basically david lynch-esque short films that are genuinely unsettling, but also humorous in how committed it is. i don't know how to describe them.

bill wurtz is obviously a phenomenon at this point, but his whole channel is classic and he just uploaded a new video:

sillis remix is literally nothing more than inserting the dr. dre "smoke weed erreday" sound clip into various animated tv show theme songs, pitch-shifted and altered to sound just like it. you think it'd grow old fast, and your mileage may vary, and it seems sillis is tired of making them as well. but seeing as how detailed he is in his edits (the snoop dogg face on EVERY thing, "420" inserted EVERYWHERE) i just have to mention him. i still get a kick outta these:

• Wow 1

Of those mentioned so far, I've already been a pretty big fan of IHE, Dunkey, and RedLetterMedia.

I like some of the fan made abridged animes: Dragon Ball Z Abridged (TemaFourStar), Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged (LittleKuriboh), and Pokemon Bridged (1KidsEntertainment) can all be fantastic and hilarious shows (channel name in parenthesis) on youtube. You really don't have to even know the original shows to get the humor either, I never watched YuGiOh, but I still completely get the abridged series and what the self deprecating humor is referencing, though I'm sure some things have gone over my head.

I also like Cracked, they have some great content, their After Hours show is pretty great, but they also have a lot dumb content to, so you gotta kind filter the good stuff from the crap with them.

Finally, How It Should Have Ended is a great channel that animates how movies should have more logically unfolded and ultimately ended, some good humor here too:

• Wow 1

I love YouTube and a lot of YouTubers! I spend a lot of time on there and know a lot of the creators, at least on a casual level, but the YouTubers that I watch the most are pretty varied. I look up to a lot of them.

Like Kay mentioned, I am a huge fan of Philip DeFranco, a creator whose main objectives are to cover the news objectively and discuss different viewpoints. He does a great job imo. I follow traditional news outlets like The NYT and The Economist and watch Phil to get an additional perspective on things. He puts out videos every day about what's happening in the world, whether pop culture-related or actual news-related, and I watch every single one of them and have been for years. He recently announced that he's starting an independent news network and I'm really excited for him. He has a great relationship with his audience too.

I'm also a huge fan of The Needle Drop aka Anthony Fantano, "the Internet's busiest music nerd." He reviews music from all genres--rock, hip-hop, metal, pop, etc and he goes very in-depth and does really great analysis on everything that he listens to. I've discovered lots of great music and artists because of him. He also does thinkpieces on music-related subjects that I find insanely interesting. Below are a positive review and a more critical review of two different albums:

I also like Life Noggin, a channel that puts out short but easy-to-digest and entertaining videos that answer questions about the world around us.

I love jacksfilms aka Jack Douglass. He does parodies, skits, music videos, and several series like Yesterday I Asked You (YIAY) and Your Grammar Sucks (YGS), which is probably what he's most famous for even though he doesn't do it as much anymore. His content is pretty varied but always enjoyable to me. Here's one he put out recently that I liked:

Another creator I watch is TJ Kirk, formerly The Amazing Atheist. He's uh...quite a character haha. He's very loud, and he yells a lot, and he's very crazy, and he's kind of scary. He's also extremely controversial for his content on third/fourth-wave feminists and Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) and how they're ruining the left (although he is a liberal). He started off making content about atheism before moving to the feminist/SJW stuff and now he's branching off from that. Despite seeming like just an angry neckbeard at the start, he actually makes really great content that I enjoy even though I don't agree with him all the time. I think it's good to expose yourself to viewpoints that you disagree with so you have a better understanding of the other side. TJ does a good job of supporting his viewpoints with strong arguments, and he will definitely hear other people out and even change his mind on subjects sometimes. The video below is a great watch imo.

Another channel I enjoy is Wisecrack. They make a bunch of content about pop culture and the like: 8-bit philosophy videos, in-depth analysis of movies, a series that analyzes books called "Thug Notes," and more. They're extremely addicting and educational but also fun to watch. This video is a really interesting one about a great movie that made me think:

The last one I watch pretty regularly is Lazy Game Reviews. He does commentary on games and retro technology: PC Gaming, The Sims, thrifting, etc. Sometimes he reviews new video games that come out, other times he talks about new (old) technology that he's recently acquired, etc--his content is always pretty varied with respect to the video game world. I got into him watching his reviews of The Sims games, which I grew up with, but I've since learned a lot from his channel by watching his other content. He's a pretty creative guy.

Just realized that this is a shit ton of YouTubers, haha. But I really do spend a lot of time on there and enjoy lots of creators and heavily support several of them. I admire them for what they do and think they're all talented people. ^^

• Wow 1

@Nasa not quoting as obviously, that's huge -

I also follow LGR, mostly because his take on the sims is fantastic. I don't watch much of his stuff but any time he reviews a new sims stuff pack (I havent even played Sims 4, by the way) I have to watch it. no idea why. his voice is fantastic too, and his obsession with Duke Nukem is something I can't help but adore, man after my own heart. 

As for Phil, as you brought up the network - I'm donating on Patreon, $5 a month. I think trying to start a completely unbiased news network is never going to happen ever but if someone was going to get close, I think it'd be him. like you I've watched basically every video he's put out for years and I go to him for a more balanced opinion. I don't always agree with him but I respect and appreciate his point of view a lot. Seeing how much work he put into the show, and what happened to him and SourceFed when Discovery took over... I am so excited for the future of the channel, and the eventual network. the backlash from people is frankly ridiculous, but thankfully the majority of people seem to be on side. 

@M!ke I love "How It Should Have Ended", I read a lot of Cracked articles (like, friggin' daily) but never really got into the videos much. theres one or two I've liked but for the most part I find them a little super awkward on camera. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nasa said:

I love YouTube and a lot of YouTubers! I spend a lot of time on there and know a lot of the creators, at least on a casual level, but the YouTubers that I watch the most are pretty varied. I look up to a lot of them.

Like Kay mentioned, I am a huge fan of Philip DeFranco, a creator whose main objectives are to cover the news objectively and discuss different viewpoints. He does a great job imo. I follow traditional news outlets like The NYT and The Economist and watch Phil to get an additional perspective on things. He puts out videos every day about what's happening in the world, whether pop culture-related or actual news-related, and I watch every single one of them and have been for years. He recently announced that he's starting an independent news network and I'm really excited for him. He has a great relationship with his audience too.

I'm also a huge fan of The Needle Drop aka Anthony Fantano, "the Internet's busiest music nerd." He reviews music from all genres--rock, hip-hop, metal, pop, etc and he goes very in-depth and does really great analysis on everything that he listens to. I've discovered lots of great music and artists because of him. He also does thinkpieces on music-related subjects that I find insanely interesting. Below are a positive review and a more critical review of two different albums:

I also like Life Noggin, a channel that puts out short but easy-to-digest and entertaining videos that answer questions about the world around us.

I love jacksfilms aka Jack Douglass. He does parodies, skits, music videos, and several series like Yesterday I Asked You (YIAY) and Your Grammar Sucks (YGS), which is probably what he's most famous for even though he doesn't do it as much anymore. His content is pretty varied but always enjoyable to me. Here's one he put out recently that I liked:

Another creator I watch is TJ Kirk, formerly The Amazing Atheist. He's uh...quite a character haha. He's very loud, and he yells a lot, and he's very crazy, and he's kind of scary. He's also extremely controversial for his content on third/fourth-wave feminists and Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) and how they're ruining the left (although he is a liberal). He started off making content about atheism before moving to the feminist/SJW stuff and now he's branching off from that. Despite seeming like just an angry neckbeard at the start, he actually makes really great content that I enjoy even though I don't agree with him all the time. I think it's good to expose yourself to viewpoints that you disagree with so you have a better understanding of the other side. TJ does a good job of supporting his viewpoints with strong arguments, and he will definitely hear other people out and even change his mind on subjects sometimes. The video below is a great watch imo.

Another channel I enjoy is Wisecrack. They make a bunch of content about pop culture and the like: 8-bit philosophy videos, in-depth analysis of movies, a series that analyzes books called "Thug Notes," and more. They're extremely addicting and educational but also fun to watch. This video is a really interesting one about a great movie that made me think:

The last one I watch pretty regularly is Lazy Game Reviews. He does commentary on games and retro technology: PC Gaming, The Sims, thrifting, etc. Sometimes he reviews new video games that come out, other times he talks about new (old) technology that he's recently acquired, etc--his content is always pretty varied with respect to the video game world. I got into him watching his reviews of The Sims games, which I grew up with, but I've since learned a lot from his channel by watching his other content. He's a pretty creative guy.

Just realized that this is a shit ton of YouTubers, haha. But I really do spend a lot of time on there and enjoy lots of creators and heavily support several of them. I admire them for what they do and think they're all talented people. ^^

Melonhead is the beast. Best teeth in the fucking game. Also I like ARTV, The Rock Crritic and Velocities in Music and a ton of Russian channels no one here cares about

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, Kay said:

I also follow LGR, mostly because his take on the sims is fantastic. I don't watch much of his stuff but any time he reviews a new sims stuff pack (I havent even played Sims 4, by the way) I have to watch it. no idea why. his voice is fantastic too, and his obsession with Duke Nukem is something I can't help but adore, man after my own heart. 

I haven't played the Sims 4 either, mostly because it seems to suck according to his reviews. I trusted him all throughout the Sims 3 cycle based on his recommendations for the expansion packs, so why not trust him for Sims 4 stuff? ^^ 

I agree about his voice. I could listen to it all day. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2017 at 11:04 AM, LastTrainHomefangirl said:

Honestly I hate YouTubers because I'm jealous.. Some of these guys make 6 figures just for fucking followers on quick weekly videos updates

Try 7 figures. Anyone consistently getting a million views on every one of their videos and they post often, are making a million in revenue. With that said, many of them have a lot of business costs and expenses to produce the videos (the main being a production crew or just multiple faces for the channel) so it's hard to tell what people are actually making. David Dobrik has only been on YouTube two years and he's already made at least a couple mil.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NotNow said:

Try 7 figures. Anyone consistently getting a million views on every one of their videos and they post often, are making a million in revenue. With that said, many of them have a lot of business costs and expenses to produce the videos (the main being a production crew or just multiple faces for the channel) so it's hard to tell what people are actually making. David Dobrik has only been on YouTube two years and he's already made at least a couple mil.

That really depends on a lot of factors, it isn't that predictable. it depends on their network, their ad revenue (if they're filtered due to "NSFW" stuff they get less money), if they have sponsorships, if they have merchandise, etc. it also isn't just views = money either. Its too hard to quantify based off subscribers or views, realistically. 

You're right about production costs though that can factor in heavily. I think the ones making the most 'bank' are the "reaction" losers who just film themselves watching other stuff and post it to youtube (I have no idea why thats popular) or the gaming channels, because if you've got a gaming channel thats got millions of subscribers and views, the main cost of their 'production' is the editing suite, the console, and the capture card (whatever their using) but thats essentially a one off purchase and if they've already got a games console it amounts to quite little. You can run a gaming channel with a $100 capture card, any free editing software and a $50 usb microphone and have surprisingly okay quality. After that the production costs are as minimal as time and utility bills.

As for other youtubers though actually doing things or running businesses and such then yes, that profit does not go directly to them. 

Theres also the added factor that editing, regardless of content, takes hours (again unless your those "im going to sit and watch this trailer and you can watch my face" wankers) and can be all for nothing if the video flops.

I definitely think youtube is a potentially easy career if you actually enjoy editing and being creative, but it's a difficult nut to crack and it's still a time consuming job, it's not like you do sod all all day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NotNow said:

That's fucking annoying.  Very doubtful their income can be that high though. I've heard recently it's harder for YouTubers to make money if their videos are offensive in anyway for to being non advertiser friendly

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LastTrainHomefangirl said:

That's fucking annoying.  Very doubtful their income can be that high though. I've heard recently it's harder for YouTubers to make money if their videos are offensive in anyway for to being non advertiser friendly

Don't doubt it, its definitely true.  That pewdiepie douche is a multimillionaire from his Youtube content.  

Keep in mind that most of these youtubers making so much money are getting money from more than just youtube ad revenue.  Many of them get sponsors (dollar shave club and audible being big name sponsors you'll see a lot) and beyond that, most of them set up patreons, which if you don't know is a service they use so that their biggest fans can sign up to regularly give them money each month, the amount they give is entirely up to them, but I've seen people list their $50+ patreon supporters and see them have a LOT of people regularly giving them $50 a month.  Many youtubers will then create merch for themselves and make some regular money from that as well.  And then, beyond all that, big name companies like Disney have in the past come in and bought out big youtube partnerships (in Disney's case, they bought a combination of like 80 different channels for literally a billion dollars).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M!ke said:

Don't doubt it, its definitely true.  That pewdiepie douche is a multimillionaire from his Youtube content.  

Keep in mind that most of these youtubers making so much money are getting money from more than just youtube ad revenue.  Many of them get sponsors (dollar shave club and audible being big name sponsors you'll see a lot) and beyond that, most of them set up patreons, which if you don't know is a service they use so that their biggest fans can sign up to regularly give them money each month, the amount they give is entirely up to them, but I've seen people list their $50+ patreon supporters and see them have a LOT of people regularly giving them $50 a month.  Many youtubers will then create merch for themselves and make some regular money from that as well.  And then, beyond all that, big name companies like Disney have in the past come in and bought out big youtube partnerships (in Disney's case, they bought a combination of like 80 different channels for literally a billion dollars).

You realise they do those side things because of how unreliable the youtube ad revenue income is, right?

it's such a badly organised system that there's no reliability in the amount of income you recieve per view depending on the day. You use Pewdiepie as an example of a rich youtuber but he is the biggest and the richest, by miles. Theres roughly 2,000 youtubers with over a million subscribers, but they're not all millionaires. They're living off of it, sure, but its widely different depending on the youtuber. 

• Love 1

If they're asking for patreons or seeking side sponsorship who can hinder their individuality, it inclines me to believe the direct ad revenue from YouTube isn't enough to live off of or is unreliable.

PewDiePie is an extreme example. He's a celebrity by now, so the YouTube bucks are only part.

Still, I know y'all claim it's a big time commitment. But come on. Compared to an office everyday or trying to make it anywhere in the real world.. Lot more stress

• Wow 1