Matt Skiba: The Problems Blink-182 Had While Making Latest Album 'California'

Ghost

59 minutes ago, vic vinegar said:

It got nominated for a Grammy in a subgenre category that wasn't even shown on tv (so I hear). It's not like it was as well received as American Idiot was back in the day. But I get it. Whatever script I write or movie I film I usually think it's better than the one before it. Even if others tell me otherwise. With more distance, you can judge properly.

But even if Untitled was too far left field for Mark's idea of "what blink is" then I'd still argue Cali doesn't touch Dude Ranch, Enema or TOYPAJ, which most of the common people consider vintage blink.

Oh no I totally agree. I'm sure the accolade though itself is still something they are very proud of, especially since it was their first. And also agreed on the 2nd part. California isn't even up to NBHDs or DEDs for me.

52 minutes ago, Barry said:

The whole "it was risky to be different" seems like such a bullshit idea to me. So what if the songs sounded Alkaline Trio-ish? If they were good songs then it wouldn't matter. Trying to force the whole "what is blink-182?" is, to me, not a good way to write. What are they trying to prove? They already have success.

Don't get me wrong, I like the current iteration of blink, but forcibly writing like another band to appease the masses seems kind of wrong.

Uh they had to replace a well-known, ultra-distinctive, driving creative force in the band.  Of course they had to tread lightly and question what the band was.

I am still not a fan of Feldman and likely will never be, but it's good to see that they can actually step away from the formulaic stuff. So if they continue to grow, I will accept his contributions. But as a person, Feldman seems like an arrogant controlling ass, and if we wanted that, we could have just kept Tom.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Olidamus said:

I am still not a fan of Feldman and likely will never be, but it's good to see that they can actually step away from the formulaic stuff. So if they continue to grow, I will accept his contributions. But as a person, Feldman seems like an arrogant controlling ass, and if we wanted that, we could have just kept Tom.

Except for feldmann wants blink to release a lot of music, and tom wants to look through a telescope to see a spacedick.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smalls said:

Except for feldmann wants blink to release a lot of music, and tom wants to look through a telescope to see a spacedick.

Well that's true, and I get that they needed a good producer, I just think they made a mistake with Feldman, wrong guy, resume doesn't fit their style, over rated producer and the songs actually aren't even mixed that well.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Well that's true, and I get that they needed a good producer, I just think they made a mistake with Feldman, wrong guy, resume doesn't fit their style, over rated producer and the songs actually aren't even mixed that well.

Yea I agree feldmann isn't perfect, but I'll take feldmann over lazyspacefuckconspiracytheoryobsessed-tom any day of the week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Olidamus said:

The mixes are horrible! There is way too much going on in almost every song and no room to breath.

this is exactly what my biggest issue with California was. the songs weren't genuine. they were mostly, "well this is what blink 182 is supposed to sound like, right?" i just get way more of a genuine vibe with the deluxe songs. it feels like they wrote them because they're songs they wanted to write, not songs that would fit a specific sound

• Like 1

personally i think it kinda does. its writing how you think you should write vs what you naturally feel. its, "im in deep with this girl but shes out of her mind" vs "the only time i feel alive is when i find something i would die for". i know the deluxe gets lighter with parking lot and wildfire, but those two things just stick out specifically for me in the contrast of this is what blink sounds like vs this is what im feeling. i mean hey, if they felt this way in 03 we'd have enema/toypaj part 3

i can only speak for myself though. when im working on new stuff its just about what im feeling at the moment. never trying to hit a specific sound or anything. i just think that really just limits you

• Like 1