Post reunion (with Tom) songs that make you wish Tom was still in the band

M!ke

DED sucks. terrible, rushed garbage. there's bright spots, though, like pretty little girl -- which i'd rank as probably the best example of tom post-reunion. it's heartfelt, honest, and interesting musically if you cover your ears when yelawolf comes up. for neighborhoods, i'd include GOTDF -- despite it ripping off there is, it showcases his U2-lite guitar playing c. 2011 nicely. wishing well's really catchy too, but still sorta progressive. i'll go with those.

The strength of PLG and Even If She Falls is that they're two of the most honest songs from post-reunion Tom. They're both simple songs but they have such a gradual build up, it's not classic blink in a strict sense but sounds like classic blink to me. I really like them.

I'm not a big fan of DED either. I like PLG but in a way where I'm like "Christ the synth is awful, Christ Toms voice is awful, Christ some of the lyrics are awful" but the only thing I actively dislike on the track is the yela part. It's a dumb song but I actually enjoy it and relate a little. I basically never listen to the others, DED itself is an okay song with a good chorus but I just find it a bit boring. WIWY could have been so much better, I think, if they'd had a decent producer. it just falls short on being actually good, not sure if that makes any sense. Disaster is a disaster, and Boxing Day was great when it came out but I basically never listen to it. I have mentally written it off as a christmas song and I can't undo that. 

• Like 1

I think DED, replaced with some more well thought out bridges, would of been a perfect step in direction for where I wanted blink-182 to continue to go. It is a great EP and one of my favorite blink releases. I think WIWY/Disaster were a great combination of Tom's U2 influences infused with the energy of blink. I think the title track sounds a lot like +44. Boxing Day is the worse song on the EP and was still a really good song. PLG is one of my all time favorite blink songs and I don't mind the rap. Would of loved a follow up record to the EP to see where they would of taken their sound next, but oh well. 

1 hour ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Yep.  Neighborhoods is light years betters to me.  I don't really ever find myself revisiting the DED songs, except for maybe Boxing Day.  Boxing Day rules.

They both sound basically the same to me, except for Boxing Day.  I've never understood the praise DED gets.  

• Like 1

i honestly just don't know how to describe it. neighborhoods and DED are so different to me. i was so excited for DED because they built it up as basically an apology letter for how undercooked neighborhoods was, and it wound up to me being even worse. it sounds rushed and the songs just aren't all that good. i think tom admitted on facebook back when the shit hit the fan that he pressed mark on whether or not he "tried his hardest" on DED, and there was "silence" at the other end of the line. and i think the modlife rumors about it taint the whole thing too. when i was young has a rad riff in the chorus, and isn't too bad. DED itself is really boring, and sounds very very +44/lycanthrope-esque. disaster isn't horrible, but seems the most overtly AVA-type track in the post-reunion catalog. it's like mark gave up and let tom do what he wanted, right down to the meandering opening (also in when i was young). tom sounds really bad on boxing day while mark shines, but the song winds up being forgettable.

the reason i chose PLG is because for some reason, that song sticks out to me. it seems really honest from tom about one of the only people in his life that's been a constant. yelawolf ruins part of the song, and i think his inclusion at all reflects how the band wasn't even able to really talk things out, but it's still not a bad song. i think if they'd actually rented a house and did the whole untitled thing again, spent some more time together, and tried hard, we'd have something special. there's still chemistry there.

• Like 2

I like DED for what it is (a rushed, somewhat forgettable little EP that came out of nowhere to get blink on modlife)

But it's overrated here, especially PLG. The band isn't even proud of the release ffs.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ghent said:

I like DED for what it is (a rushed, somewhat forgettable little EP that came out of nowhere to get blink on modlife)

But it's overrated here, especially PLG. The band isn't even proud of the release ffs.

PLG is super gay and terrible ... I'm a Tombot but that's a turd of a song. The rest of the EP is great though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ghent's Brother said:

Yep.  Neighborhoods is light years betters to me.  I don't really ever find myself revisiting the DED songs, except for maybe Boxing Day.  Boxing Day rules.

This!

I'm a big Neighborhoods fan boy.