Alien Covenant SPOILER thread

Cheerios4u98

Hi I was just reading @_Kyle_ and @JarJarBlinks's conversation in the movies thread and now I want to join in too dammit but without the spoiler tags.

I'm just happy that people actually liked this movie. I really enjoyed it, but I had this weird feeling that most people were probably going to hate it anyway.

Didja guys see this? Because it's pretty cool.

I don't know if this is true but I've seen rumors floating around that the next Alien movie will take place in between Prometheus and Covenant. I don't know how I feel about that, but I would definitely like to see more of Shaw's story.

Also, it sounds like Alien 5 is officially not happening at this point. Kind of bummed to hear that, since it was supposedly going to be the "true" sequel to Aliens, disregarding Alien 3 and 4 and making it sort of a "passing of the torch" movie from Ripley to Newt.

• Like 2

Ridley also recently said that if Covenant and whatever the next one is are well-received he could keep going and keep making more of them. I remember reading him saying he could do six of them or something. Whether he's talking about Alien prequels in the Prometheus storyline, or just Alien movies in general, I'm not sure.

Great job on the thread creation @Cheerios4u98 !

I'm really interested in you saying you've seen that the next movie will be BETWEEN Covenant and Prometheus, as far as I know, Ridley himself has said in press interviews they're writing Alien: Awakening as we speak and it's the continuation of Covenant, explaining what happens to the colony once it arrives at the original destination.  

Blomkamp's movie is dead, and I just listened to a podcast today where Ridley said in his view, "the Queen doesn't exist in his Alien universe."  So in his mind Aliens doesn't exist either.  

2 hours ago, JarJarBlinks said:

I just listened to a podcast today where Ridley said in his view, "the Queen doesn't exist in his Alien universe."  So in his mind Aliens doesn't exist either.  

Whoa, interesting. I actually wondered about the Queen after seeing Covenant, because David made the eggs on his own without the help of a Queen. I had heard that Blomkamps's movie would overwrite the third and fourth movies, but if Scott doesn't consider anything but the original and his two prequels to be canon, that could mean these next prequels could change up a lot of other established lore too.

And yeah, I don't know if there was much truth to it, but I definitely remember seeing from multiple sources that there was going to be another movie in between Prometheus and Covenant. If that ends up happening it could be a good chance to delve deeper into the engineers story line. Big big mystery of Prometheus was who the engineers were, and why they (supposedly) created humans and eventually turned against them. My biggest complaint about Covenant was that we learned nothing new about the engineers, aside from the fact that David wiped out an entire planet's-worth of them.

But as cool as it would be to get more of that, I'd probably rather just get a direct sequel to Covenant. Those story threads can still be brought back in without going backwards in time again. Though it would be cool to see Shaw again.

1 hour ago, _Kyle_ said:

I'm still confused as to what happened to the things David used to wipe out the engineers. Where did they go?

They are the parts of the goo that destroyed all animal life on the planet. They also created the spores that infected two of the crew. 

12 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Whoa, interesting. I actually wondered about the Queen after seeing Covenant, because David made the eggs on his own without the help of a Queen. I had heard that Blomkamps's movie would overwrite the third and fourth movies, but if Scott doesn't consider anything but the original and his two prequels to be canon, that could mean these next prequels could change up a lot of other established lore too.

And yeah, I don't know if there was much truth to it, but I definitely remember seeing from multiple sources that there was going to be another movie in between Prometheus and Covenant. If that ends up happening it could be a good chance to delve deeper into the engineers story line. Big big mystery of Prometheus was who the engineers were, and why they (supposedly) created humans and eventually turned against them. My biggest complaint about Covenant was that we learned nothing new about the engineers, aside from the fact that David wiped out an entire planet's-worth of them.

But as cool as it would be to get more of that, I'd probably rather just get a direct sequel to Covenant. Those story threads can still be brought back in without going backwards in time again. Though it would be cool to see Shaw again.

After you said that yesterday I did see people saying there could be an "inter-quel", I'm not sure how I feel about that. Talk about muddying up the story hah. 

As for the eggs, in the book version of the film there is a chapter where David tells Orum that he actually found the eggs caves on the planet, and the eggs he made was the result of him engineering them again basically using Shaw's reproductive organs.

its very confusing because the novel is obviously canon, but Ridley has said that "David is THE creator of the xenomorphs," even though it says that he is basically re-creating them in a different manner.

6 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

They are the parts of the goo that destroyed all animal life on the planet. They also created the spores that infected two of the crew. 

So did they ever organically mutate with them? Or was that David soley who created the white ones?

2 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

So did they ever organically mutate with them? Or was that David soley who created the white ones?

From what I understand the goo used in that sort of weaponized fashion was meant to basically give the engineers a clean slate on the planet. This is what the engineer in Prometheus was planning to do on Earth. 

I think the Neomorphs (white little bastards) are all from David, and he needed more human/human like beings to test them on.

4 minutes ago, JarJarBlinks said:

From what I understand the goo used in that sort of weaponized fashion was meant to basically give the engineers a clean slate on the planet. This is what the engineer in Prometheus was planning to do on Earth. 

I think the Neomorphs (white little bastards) are all from David, and he needed more human/human like beings to test them on.

Okay.

The thought of David experimenting on Shaw just gives me the willies.

Also, back to Aliens and what MsandT was saying, when you shoot and kill a Xenomorph, will the acid always go through a ship?

On 5/26/2017 at 9:02 AM, _Kyle_ said:

....are they? I thought that one guy's face had acidic burns....wasn't he attacked by neomorphs?

The guy in Covenant was attacked by a facehugger, if that's who you're talking about.

@JarJarBlinks that does make the whole egg thing confusing. I demand answers!!

Btw, I wonder if Scott even remembers that he put that alien mural in Prometheus? The final answer may end up being a bit more complicated than just "David created the aliens".

On 26.5.2017 at 4:26 AM, Cheerios4u98 said:

Nah, I was dreading the possibility of a movie focused on David & Shaw meeting the engineers. So, I'm infinitely glad Scott dealt with the issue in the most amazing way possible, with that scene of the "derelict" descending upon the decadent remnants of the engineers' civilization and unleashing hell upon them. Great scene!

6 hours ago, MSandt said:

Btw, I wonder if Scott even remembers that he put that alien mural in Prometheus? The final answer may end up being a bit more complicated than just "David created the aliens".

I agree, there's got to be more to it than that. I think we're still going to learn more about their origins in the future.

Btw, I'm sure you all noticed that the human characters in this movie weren't much. For example, would any of you have cared if the guy in the cowboy hat had died? In Alien & Aliens it takes about five minutes to develop feelings for the cast. However, contrary to what the critics are saying, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just that the emphasis in this movie is more on the aliens and the androids (even the engineers), while humans are kinda caught in the middle.

Fassbender is such a great actor. And Waterston looks exactly like her father (I watched Law & Order for 20 years), only cuter.

Fassbender is the best part of this movie. I was suspicious of David in Prometheus. Like, he obviously did some shady stuff in that movie, but I didn't necessarily think he was a villain, I just assumed it was part of his programming to gather information, occasionally by experimentation (putting the goo in the doctor's drink). He seemed like a mostly good guy in Prometheus. But Covenant makes him so so so evil which I kind of loved.

I actually did like the main actress, and Tennessee (but probably just because I like Danny McBride) but yeah, the cast was pretty disposable. I couldn't tell you any of the characters' names (not counting Tennessee, and the androids) and I've seen the movie twice. What was the point of even having James Franco in the movie? He gets ten seconds of screen time and since we don't know his character it doesn't feel like a character, it just feels like James Franco as himself.