The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round Four, TOYPAJ)

Kay

The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round Four, TOYPAJ)  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Worst song from TOYPAJ?

• Anthem Pt II
    • Online Songs
    • First Date
    • Story Of A Lonely Guy
    • Rock Show
    • Stay Together For The Kids
    • Roller Coaster
    • Reckless Abandon
    • Every Time I Look For You
    • Give Me One Good Reason
    • Shut Up
    • Please Take Me Home
    • Time To Break Up
    • Don't Tell Me That It's Over
    • What Went Wrong

Right okay,

I've left off the joke bonus tracks, as well as Happy Holidays You Bastard because thats a straight up joke song. So this is the main record sans that, plus What Went Wrong, Dont Tell Me That Its Over and Time To Break Up. I imagine there'll be issues with this decision but tough titties kids, have fun!

It took me a second to think on it, but voted DTMTIO. I've always found the chorus annoying, and the whole "girls are like this, guys are like that" thing to be really stupid. I love the 'hold oooon' and some parts musically but overall the song is fairly weak and it was probably a good shout leaving it as a bonus track. 

I know quite a few people seem to love that one though so I think this'll be another round where my favourites get taken out (funnily enough, GMOGR is one of those haha)

1 minute ago, Kay said:

It took me a second to think on it, but voted DTMTIO. I've always found the chorus annoying, and the whole "girls are like this, guys are like that" thing to be really stupid. I love the 'hold oooon' and some parts musically but overall the song is fairly weak and it was probably a good shout leaving it as a bonus track. 

I know quite a few people seem to love that one though so I think this'll be another round where my favourites get taken out (funnily enough, GMOGR is one of those haha)

Agree 100%

First Date

Was a favorite of mine when I was of age for it, but it has aged terribly. Didn't help that Tom gave it no respect live after the reunion. Hard to take a song serious when the guy who wrote it wont.

7 minutes ago, Ghent said:

First Date

Was a favorite of mine when I was of age for it, but it has aged terribly. Didn't help that Tom gave it no respect live after the reunion. Hard to take a song serious when the guy who wrote it wont.

A very good point. 

11 minutes ago, Speedo said:

Give Me One Good Reason, stupid song with stupid lyrics, made 13 year old me cringe.

it totally is but it's still one of my favourites, I don't know why. I loved it as a kid and I guess thats hard wired to a certain level. 

• Like 2

i chose GMOGR but that's unequivocally, for me, one of the worst classic era blink songs. there's a case to be made for the blink songs stuck in high school, since they played with that imagery a ton in their career (josie video, GATC, etc). but it goes full overboard for me on TOYPAJ. i find it interesting that a lot of tom's lyrics on this album are high school mindset, especially considering tom was the one complaining about blink being so stale then. mark's lyrics are mostly more mature and deal with what he was going through then. GMOGR is one of those songs that is just limp on listen now... mom and dad this, i like the ones who say they listen to the punk rock that... lol. it feels fake. musically, the bridge is pretty memorable, but that's about it. out of the album, it stands out for me as pretty bad and always has.

however, there's a stroooong case to be made for DTMTIO too -- i was surprised when i saw the poll, but when i listened to the song again, i got it. i remembered "hold on", but i didn't remember how painful the lyrics are. this goes for time to break up too -- how bad are some of the lyrics on that?? and story of a lonely guy -- so bad lol

Give Me One Good reason is fucking killer over the instrumental side. Like Kings of the Weekend in that sense. Just terrible lyrics though. I can't call First Date terrible. Like it's boring, overplayed but it's pretty good for a song that was written in like 5-10 minutes or something. It is what it is. Instrumentally it's a great song too. I'd have to go with Shut Up as the worst I think. I never have liked that song fully. There was once a time where I actually rated that song. I don't find it terrible though. Like if I hear it pop up automatically on shuffle or something, I'll sing along to it. Just I never find myself wanting to listen to it. Can say the same about a lot of Take Off tracks tbh.

This album probably is one of the most influential albums for me. I listened to it and loved it shit loads as a kid, but now I barely listen to it. Would rather listen to Dude Ranch & Enema. Take Off isn't that good IMO. I think it's the worst under the Mark/Tom/Travis line up. Also prefer listening to Cheshire Cat. Still, it has it's good songs. Instrumentally the album is superb, but a lot of the lyrics really do ruin it for me. Seems way more forced than Enema & Dude Ranch.

It's the kind of album that when it came out, you loved it. But now you listen to it, it's just not that great. At least it's that way for me anyway. That said, I do like it. I never believed this was the perfect pop punk album like most people did though. There have been people who've said blink perfected pop punk with this album, but I feel they perfected it with Enema.

TOYPAJ is very much their "victory lap" record. It's nothing too different than what came before and almost relishes in it's hormonal glazed nostalgia to a tee. Tom and Mark I would say were playing to their crowd, but there are more hints of it being told from a point of view of somebody who has a "been there, done that" quality. In some ways it's more mature and refined, but still doesn't push forward creatively. It's solid and an easy album to love. However yes, the two songs they dropped were slightly of lesser quality. I think the label was right to have them make "singles" for the record. The Rock Show is so fun, self-aware, and fast, it's refreshing. First Date I still have high regard for it as it a great little pop song, despite it being overplayed. The two serve as examples of how well-oiled songwriters Mark and Tom had become and flex their muscles doing so. Travis also is perhaps the unsung hero with those two. His drumming is really precise and damn near perfect. Love it.  

I chose DTMTIO because it kind of has less distinct qualities within the album as a whole. It's fine, nothing amazing, but doesn't really bring anything new.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

TOYPAJ is very much their "victory lap" record. It's nothing too different than what came before and almost relishes in it's hormonal glazed nostalgia to a tee. Tom and Mark I would say were playing to their crowd, but there are more hints of it being told from a point of view of somebody who has a "been there, done that" quality. In some ways it's more mature and refined, but still doesn't push forward creatively. It's solid and an easy album to love. However yes, the two songs they dropped were slightly of lesser quality. I think the label was right to have them make "singles" for the record. The Rock Show is so fun, self-aware, and fast, it's refreshing. First Date I still have high regard for it as it a great little pop song, despite it being overplayed. The two serve as examples of how well-oiled songwriters Mark and Tom had become and flex their muscles doing so. Travis also is perhaps the unsung hero with those two. His drumming is really precise and damn near perfect. Love it.  

I chose DTMTIO because it kind of has less distinct qualities within the album as a whole. It's fine, nothing amazing, but doesn't really bring anything new.

I'd argue Time To Break Up is on the better half of TOYPAJ songs in general, but I suppose I'd agree with you overall.

IDK, I love TOYPAJ to bits despite its insane juvenile lyrics, however I think musically its a step up from Enema. there's just generally a bit more going on, there's more emphasis on dynamics and such. Enema is awesome and straight forward, TOYPAJ had slight more edge but also more failures. 

5 minutes ago, _Kyle_ said:

"Most girls do mean trouble because they are rarely honest"

I just don't know if I can believe you kay...

Well I do think fighting is therapeutic, so COME AT ME, BRO

• Like 1

i like first date! one of the first blink songs i ever heard and it might be the catchiest thing they ever wrote (until maybe SOOHM).

as someone who became a fan of this band right before the reunion, i could look at the album retroactively. and TOYPAJ never seemed good to me, even though i was 16 at the time lol. i agree, it does push the band forward musically in baby steps, but the lyrics are so forced. it literally seemed like MCA was like "do it again" and they were like "ok..." and they've said something to that effect, that they'd wished they had more time on it. i can listen and sing along and enjoy the album, but it's definitely lower than dude ranch, enema, and untitled for me. maybe even cheshire. something feels fake about it