The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round Eight California [Deluxe])

Kay

The Worst Blink Song Ever (Round 8, California [Deluxe] )  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Song From California (Deluxe)

• Parking Lot
    • Misery
    • Good Old Days
    • Don't Mean Anything
    • Hey Im Sorry
    • Last Train Home
    • Wildfire
    • 6/8
    • Long Lost Feeling
    • Bottom Of The Ocean

1 hour ago, FightingTheGravity said:

But didn't they say the song was about nothing or had no meaning?  I think the references are an accident.

Unfortunately yes, I just found the quote again haha

"This was a song Matt and I wrote. I remember writing the chorus - it came together really quickly during an afternoon at John's studio. The lyrics? There's not a lot of special meaning behind it apart from the idea of starting a wildfire!" - Mark

30 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

it's for the audience to interpret the artist's intentions. not the artist (who often doesn't even know the import of what they're doing).

You can interpret meaning and relate to it yourself, but your interpretation doesn't have any effect on the writers meaning, and if they say it has no meaning then it doesn't have any. you can find a way to relate and good for you, but it doesn't make those references legitimate, just a coincidence. Unless you believe Mark subconsciously wrote a song referencing some fires from 20 years ago? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kay said:

your interpretation doesn't have any effect on the writer's meaning, and if they say it has no meaning then it doesn't have any.

no it does. that's my entire point. that's what art actually **is**

there is no meaning other than what the viewer (or in this case, the listener) creates.

35 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

no it does. that's my entire point. that's what art actually **is**

there is no meaning other than what the viewer (or in this case, the listener) creates.

"Art" is a strong word, it's a quickly shat out blink track. 

Ultimately, songwriters write their own meaning. your interpretation is yours, but it doesn't undo the process the writer has.

Like, you can douche it up as much as you like, but factually, the person creating it imbues their own meaning. whether the listener knows or cares or whatever, doesn't matter, the creator still puts some meaning or none at all into it, and therefore you deciding it refers to something when it doesn't is entirely up to you but it doesn't suddenly make the lyrics magically better.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kay said:

it doesn't suddenly make the lyrics magically better.

no, it doesn't.

all i'm saying is

a.) i appreciate the references in the lyrics. they are based on my interpretation of the work.

b.) that is the only context by which anything created by someone for an audience exists.

39 minutes ago, Kay said:

your interpretation is yours, but it doesn't undo the process the writer has.

it actually subsumes (wholly) whatever the creator's process is. the work doesn't exist without the audience's participation / appreciation / interpretation.