Tom DeLonge Red Strat (pre-Cheshire Cat)

Q182

16 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

What are we trying to figure out?

Tom's guitar rig for recording Dude Ranch. We think its the Sticker Strat into the Ampeg VL-1002 or some kind of Marshall that was at Big Fish during the sessions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ry-Bread said:

Gotcha, I will see what I can do. Are we also confident he used the red strat on CC? We really do need a gear run down album by album for the history books.

Thanks so much as always Ry! You are doing truly excellent work (as is everyone who's just as invested)! 

I really think he did during the first sessions with Steve Kravac, but its possible he used the Sticker Strat as well when they went back to Doubletime to redo some guitars and vocals.

@DepfHe was on pickup position 4 for that record and all the ones prior. he didn't start using a humbucker until 1995 when the X2N was put in the white strat. If you watch the October 94 SOMA video both guitars are on position 4 (and no X2N in the sticker strat). The tones from flyswatter-cc are also warmer and fuller, and not as bright as DR.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Depf said:

to my ears, I come closer with a neck humbucker + middle singlecoil than two singlecoils. 

Which is the basis for my "cheshire was recorded on the soma spec strat" theory

you’re good. I tried the neck & middle singles on my strat (stock pickups) through my VL-1002 with some suggested settings from Davey and it sounded just like CC. However with your testing, it wouldn’t surprise me the sticker strat was used in position 4 with the hotrails when they redid guitars at doubletime. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

Considering we recently found out Mark used a studio bass for at least some of Dude Ranch (not sure if @daveyjones mentioned that here), this isn’t particularly surprising. 

mark said all of it was recorded on that boutique bass, the schecter. 

i want to nail when tom acquired the ampeg(s) and the 94 40th strat. then we can suss out what recorded when. the october 94 SOMA vid on youtube that surfaced last year is extremely close to the invoiced dates at doubletime for cheshire cat addendum work.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2021 at 3:32 PM, daveyjones said:

I want to nail when tom acquired the ampeg(s) and the 94 40th strat. the october 94 SOMA vid on youtube that surfaced last year is extremely close to the invoiced dates at doubletime for cheshire cat addendum work.

In the SOMA video Tom’s still got the Fender M80 head for amps. My theory is the 94 40th strat came first, and then the Ampegs came later, not by much time.

Tom upgraded to the VL’s sometime between 10/7/94 (surfaced soma show) and 2/24/95 (Cc release party where it first shows them in use). 

38 minutes ago, daveyjones said:

mark said all of it was recorded on that boutique bass, the schecter. 

i want to nail when tom acquired the ampeg(s) and the 94 40th strat. then we can suss out what recorded when. the october 94 SOMA vid on youtube that surfaced last year is extremely close to the invoiced dates at doubletime for cheshire cat addendum work.

Agreed and It'd be interesting to know why Tom went with Ampeg too. Maybe Jeff had one at Doubletime. Maybe O brought one for him to use or recommended it.

4 hours ago, Depf said:

the white strat was in live use before cheshire! And (just me guessing based on my efforts to hit a sound like) there could be a humbucker at play.

Keep up the good work Ry, we appreciate you

I think the white strat was used on CC but figuring out recording dates and gear acquisition dates will clear that up.

4 hours ago, Depf said:

Yes,  my bad, I should have been clearer. What i meant is that, to my ears, I come closer with a neck humbucker + middle singlecoil than two singlecoils. 

Which is the basis for my "cheshire was recorded on the soma spec strat" theory

Well we know the sticker strat at the time of the Oct 94 SOMA show had the JB jr in the bridge, stock single coil middle and the hot rails in the neck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ry-Bread said:

I asked a source and was told they used different guitars in the studio, even a PRS potentially. 

Considering we recently found out Mark used a studio bass for at least some of Dude Ranch (not sure if @daveyjones mentioned that here), this isn’t particularly surprising. 

I’ve reached out to Trombino, hope to hear back. If not we’ll get the answer from Tom one day. 

I wouldn't count on Tom. He's notorious for remembering things like this wrong.

7 hours ago, Depf said:

Tbh i don't buy that for one second. I remember what I used for all the recordings that I did. None were anywhere near as important as CC/DR and I'm a very dumb and veeeery forgetful pothead. In Toms mind he started making music in 2005.

Best we get Marks word. He actually loves the band and hence the fans

You don't have to buy it. It's true. Just watch the ernie ball doc.

Tom's techs have told someone I talk to on instagram that Tom doesn't remember a lot and doesn't really know anything about guitars. He just writes and plays.

1 hour ago, Depf said:

glad he remembers to cash in on his fans i guess 😂 bless your heart for believing he doesn't remember what he tracked dammit with , honestly. 

Would those be the techs that never tuned his e string for adams song ? 

hope he does a mustaine and not do it like last time. I still have hope for the guy

You can make all the smartass remarks you want. I get my info right from someone who speaks to his tech, Jeff, often. Tom doesn't care to remember this stuff it seems. If he does really remember, he doesn't care to share it. Jeff is asked questions for Tom all the time regarding gear. Tom is now even aware via Jeff of people's interest in the sticker strat. It was mentioned it may get sold.

It's one thing to disagree. That's fine. It's another thing to be a smartass about it.

4 hours ago, blinkstillrules said:

You don't have to buy it. It's true. Just watch the ernie ball doc.

Tom's techs have told someone I talk to on instagram that Tom doesn't remember a lot and doesn't really know anything about guitars. He just writes and plays.

I buy this. After all, the man still uses a single pickup guitar equipped with a Dirty Fingers humbucker run through a VOX amp and flanger effects lol. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Depf said:

Tbh i don't buy that for one second. I remember what I used for all the recordings that I did. None were anywhere near as important as CC/DR and I'm a very dumb and veeeery forgetful pothead. In Toms mind he started making music in 2005.

Best we get Marks word. He actually loves the band and hence the fans

Some people just don't care about this kind of stuff though and it isn't worth remembering to them. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about the equipment I used in any of my early years of bands, even if they had been worth listening to or scored me a modicum of fame.

2 minutes ago, Depf said:

pauliegualtieri_1.jpg

The man had some killer live sounds.  And a good guitar sound is one avec tout le flange

He did have some good live sounds, I still love his enema-toypaj tone as one of my favorite all time tones...something about that invader ran through a Mesa boogie ❤️ 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Depf said:

Calm your tits. I'd rather be a smartass than a dumbass about it.

We're of the same ilk here, no need to be aggressive,  it's all in good fun. like i said, if this was a real/physical place we'd all have a good laugh about it all.

You're the one being aggressive. I haven't insulted anyone. I'm sharing information that is coming straight from Tom's current tech. You can choose to believe it or not.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...