Tom DeLonge Red Strat (pre-Cheshire Cat)

Q182

14 hours ago, Thibaut182 said:

Found this super rare picture of Tom during the Cheshire Cat recording sessions!

[picture removed]

This is one of the pics Mark shared with us on his Twitch subscriber channel on Mark's discord.

This is the same set of pics that shows the Ampeg VL-1002 in the studio. This is Doubletime Studios during the recording of Cheshire Cat.

We didn't post these here because Mark only shares them on the subscriber channel so I wonder who leaked it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blinkstillrules said:

We didn't post these here because Mark only shares them on the subscriber channel so I wonder who leaked it.

Thank you so much for the clarification, I've removed the picture for the reasons above and in respect towards Mark's discord!

I think that I have the answer on who leaked it by the way

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNVfC5Qh_DP/

Redditor provided more info to support the Squier theory:

This picture of tom’s guitar is an 8 hole pickguard just like the old squier 2’s

I believe the early mim’s were all 11 hole guards if i remember correctly from my youth. See example below

Note the no screw hole by toms wrist

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/03/1994-fender-mexican-stratocaster.html?m=1

These old mik’s rocked. I had one as a kid and played the shit out of it, bet it would stand up today if i still ahd it

7 hours ago, Depf said:

- white sticker strat (position 4 Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat ( X2n in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-97 live, maybe/possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker into mesa triaxis (late 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98)   into dual rec (jcm 900 added in 2nd half 98) (98)

This section goes like this (items in bold are new):

- white sticker strat & red strat (position 4, Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle on white sticker) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat (X2N in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-96 live, possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker strat into mesa dual rec rackmount (january-september 97)

- white sticker into mesa triple rec (september 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98) into triple rec/jcm 900 (fall/winter 1997-98)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Depf said:

Soo......anybody in the mood to identify all the stickers?

All I know of the ones on THIS guitar is the green NOFX sticker, which is readily available for purchase from Interpunk.com!

https://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=7100&

Most of the others, like the sticker strat, are lost to the sands of time and would need to be digitally recreated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Depf said:

Is it possible Tom used lace sensors for cheshire? i have little experience with the brand, but i thought they were very humbuckery?

No, he wouldn’t have known (or possibly cared) about other pickups.

Dollars to donuts it’s the sticker strat pre-X2N, just waiting for some incriminating info to back that up. Until then, it’s the red Buddha strat with stock single coils.

On 5/21/2021 at 5:30 AM, Depf said:

FYI, the pickups in the picture we have of the cc recording are quite possibly not stock singlecoils or at least the cover was changed. No pole pieces visible as far as I can tell. Although that could be the lighting

That is indeed lighting from the camera flash/studio that doesn't showcase the details of the pickups. The red guitar did not undergo any pickup changes.

It is also far more likely it was suggested to Tom to change the pickups in his Sticker Strat. He wasn't, and still really isn't, a gear nerd like we are.

If you still think there's more beef in the cheshire guitar sound, its probably the sticker strat (position 4, hot rails + stock middle). Don't forget that they redid guitar parts sometime after the 10/7/94 SOMA show, where it made it's first appearance. Mark mentioned it during the stage banter.

On 5/23/2021 at 12:01 AM, Q182 said:

That is indeed lighting from the camera flash/studio that doesn't showcase the details of the pickups. The red guitar did not undergo any pickup changes.

It is also far more likely it was suggested to Tom to change the pickups in his Sticker Strat. He wasn't, and still really isn't, a gear nerd like we are.

If you still think there's more beef in the cheshire guitar sound, its probably the sticker strat (position 4, hot rails + stock middle). Don't forget that they redid guitar parts sometime after the 10/7/94 SOMA show, where it made it's first appearance. Mark mentioned it during the stage banter.

The bill for Cheshire Cat Doubletime sessions is actually dated 5 days before the Oct 7 SOMA show.

S7cYqD3.png

• Like 2

• 2 years later...