Tom DeLonge Red Strat (pre-Cheshire Cat)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tom's guitar rig for recording Dude Ranch. We think its the Sticker Strat into the Ampeg VL-1002 or some kind of Marshall that was at Big Fish during the sessions.

Happy to help!  a gear timeline would be a completely different beast. Albeit it might be easier, but still its hard to fathom. Got one more for you:

@daveyjonesand I can confirm Tom's red strat was actually a Fender and was used on Cheshire Cat at Doubletime Studios.

Posted Images

Redditor provided more info to support the Squier theory:

This picture of tom’s guitar is an 8 hole pickguard just like the old squier 2’s

I believe the early mim’s were all 11 hole guards if i remember correctly from my youth. See example below

Note the no screw hole by toms wrist

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/2016/03/1994-fender-mexican-stratocaster.html?m=1

These old mik’s rocked. I had one as a kid and played the shit out of it, bet it would stand up today if i still ahd it

Soo......anybody in the mood to identify all the stickers?

This is THE cheshire car guitar. We should all build one and shmeoke a beowl about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Starting to really doubt that his very first guitar (given to him/found in the trash) was this one. Even if those kids were at least upper middle class, it seems unlikely that a guitar that was introduced to the market in 1989 would just be thrown away. While cheap, they were still branded guitars.  (cf. https://www.fuzzfaced.net/squier-korea-plywood.html)

The great news about this is this : If it is indeed a 89 Korean Squier you can make a great replica super cheap today.

I'm willing to bet that basically all guitars you can get in the 100-200€ range are made just as well and offer compareable (if not outright better) pickups as the ceramic magnet/low output korean singlecoils of the time. The Blink single coil stuff sounds rather spikey , so a ceramic pickup into a trebly amp works really well.

Something like a modern Affinity Strat would be basically perfect. As soon as I have an idea how to go about the stickering I'll be on it

BTW:

don't quote me on this since we aren't yet 100% sure, but my amp buddy said he was 99% sure that the preamp of a Princeton Chorus is the base for the m80 head tom used live in 94.

>>>> So, please correct me on my recap here.

-red strat (position 4) into princeton chorus = blink 1993-late 94 (possibly Buddha recordings)

- red strat (position 4) into ampeg vl 1002   (cheshire cat)

- white sticker strat (position 4 Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat ( X2n in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-97 live, maybe/possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker into mesa triaxis (late 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98)   into dual rec (jcm 900 added in 2nd half 98) (98)

- Custom shop Sig Fender into triple rec/jcm900 (500k Vol pot, no treble bleed. mesa is swtichable clean/dirty, the marshall always on clean channel gain 10)   (99- late 2000?)

- Sig Fender into mesa triaxis> marshall 100w poweramp (2000?-2002)

- Sig Gibson into mesa triaxis(with flanger)> marshall 100w poweramp (late 2003 - 2005)

- Sig Gibson into ocd Fulltone into EVH flange into Ac30/Fender Twin(both set clean(-ish), drive comes from pedal) (dark ages)

7 hours ago, Depf said:

- white sticker strat (position 4 Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat ( X2n in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-97 live, maybe/possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker into mesa triaxis (late 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98)   into dual rec (jcm 900 added in 2nd half 98) (98)

This section goes like this (items in bold are new):

- white sticker strat & red strat (position 4, Hotrails neck + Singlecoil middle on white sticker) into Fender m80 (live late 94)

- white sticker strat (X2N in bridge) into ampeg (blink 95-96 live, possibly heard on dude ranch)

- white sticker strat into mesa dual rec rackmount (january-september 97)

- white sticker into mesa triple rec (september 97)

- Les paul (invader added later sometime in 2nd half 98) into triple rec/jcm 900 (fall/winter 1997-98)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Depf said:

Soo......anybody in the mood to identify all the stickers?

All I know of the ones on THIS guitar is the green NOFX sticker, which is readily available for purchase from Interpunk.com!

https://www.interpunk.com/item.cfm?Item=7100&

Most of the others, like the sticker strat, are lost to the sands of time and would need to be digitally recreated.

• Like 2