Did Blink put on a better live performance with Tom (post-reunion) or Matt?

Meltdown Tracker

Did Blink put on a better live performance with Tom (post-reunion) or Matt?   

88 members have voted

1. 1. Did Blink put on a better live performance with Tom (post-reunion) or Matt?

• Tom (post-reunion)
    • Matt
    • They're both equal

Tom was pretty inconsistent post-reunion. At the beginning he sounded pretty awful but I remember around 2011-2012 he put on some pretty good performances and looked liked he was actually trying.

He sounded pretty damn good when I saw them play the Untitled anniversary shows.

for me he didn't sound like tom most of the time. it's not a surprise that someone's voice changes over the years, and everyone accepts it. but i always had a feeling tom intentionally changed his tone deeper at the shows to sound like "an adult", but it ended up he sounded retarded. when he sang naturally by accident, his voice was better.

Tom didn't change his voice on purpose. David Kennedy once said that Tom's voice just sort of abruptly changed in the middle of recording We Don't Need to Whisper, and he said that's why Tom sounds like "old Tom" on certain songs like Distraction, and has his "new voice" on the other tracks. It wasn't an intentional change, it just happened.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Tom didn't change his voice on purpose. David Kennedy once said that Tom's voice just sort of abruptly changed in the middle of recording We Don't Need to Whisper, and he said that's why Tom sounds like "old Tom" on certain songs like Distraction, and has his "new voice" on the other tracks. It wasn't an intentional change, it just happened.

i would love to see where he said this. that sounds really bizarre. it is jarring when you hear distraction and then other songs.

2 hours ago, boxelder said:

i would love to see where he said this. that sounds really bizarre. it is jarring when you hear distraction and then other songs.

Unfortunately I think it was on a Modcam probably ten years ago. One of the few Modcams I ever saw that was someone other than Tom.

• 3 weeks later...

Sigh....people already forgot how bad blink was post reunion with Tom. The band was never the same again. I always compare it to getting back with your ex knowing she fucked some other dude, then she wore a shirt with his face on it the whole time you were back together. That's basically the blink reunion in a nut shell. Toms singing sucked, sloppy guitar playing, and his lack of passion for blink was a buzz kill. Matt will never be tom delonge nor would I want him to be. Yes blink is a different band now too but they are just better now with matt.

• Like 5

I prefer blink with matt. Yea he's not anything near delonge in his prime, but he's a hell of a lot better than washed up comic book boy delonge. Blink is active, to me that's a good thing. The new music is a bit generic, but really what do you expect from a band trying to strike it out on their own without their most prominent songwriter. Holding out hope mark comes out his writers block and grows a pair and tells feldmann to fuck off. Wishful thinking, I know. Feldmann served his time, did a decent job helping a struggling band. That being said, it's time for him to take a hike.

Hard to answer. Sometimes, Tom was good enough to have a positive impact on recent shows. The anniversary for Untitled, for example.. some of those shows (the Redbull one, the Las Vegas one from the Neighborhoods tour) are pretty good. Problem too is that he was able to offer horrendous and sloppy performances too (Reading 2014).

About Matt, overall, he's better on singing, and his guitar playing fits correctly (with its ups and downs depending on the song and the way he arranges some parts). Again: on an overall vision. But although I enjoy some of his performances (as Always, for example), I still have the feeling that this doesn't feels like blink. Just a very personal opinion. Also, being a Skiba/AK3 fan since yesteryear, makes it harder to evaluate. Skiba just feels really out of place on thie project, which is weird, because we've seen him in plenty of projects to know how great he developes outside of AK3.

fans always say their love for blink wasn't really about the quality of their performances, it was about the great visible friendship between mark and tom. well, around 2004 the friendship disappeared. i don't think there's a point of analyzing the post reunion performances too much. we knew the band was not the same anymore. we hoped they will be friends again, and that we'll see the chemistry between the members on stage, but it was never there anymore. (even when they were on tour, they spent their day-offs at different cities. tom arrived to shows 1 hour before they started playing, etc.) that incarnation of blink was a shame.

matt may look anxious on stage, or you can blame him that he's not that talkative, but at least he is a real member of the blink family. he loves being with the members of his new band. and it's a lot better base for the band than having someone who doesn't want to be with them, and who discredits almost everything they achieved in the past.

• Like 1

I think the new lineup is boring but fine overall for the reasons everyone else has said, and the biggest shame is that Matt could've had all of us in the palm of his fucking hand from the beginning. People were so sick of Tom's horrible post-reunion performances and the idea of Skiba kicking the live show into gear was totally enticing. I know it's mostly just not in his nature, but if he came out and was a super fun and energetic entertaining co-frontman with Mark while delivering the exact same musical/vocal performances he's given, he would been seen as a savior. But since he's a much more muted onstage performer and they took out just about all banter the shows can't help but feel more stale and dull.

Kind of a missed opportunity but it's hard to expect him to do something that just isn't in his wheelhouse.

• Like 1