Blink-lite

High Value Man

For awhile I thought maybe I just outgrew their live show, but after I watch this and compare, it isn't the case.

They just  became a weak shitty version of what they use to be. Crazy the difference.

Yeah I know comparing 2004 Tom to Matt is not fair, but is it really not fair? Tom is 1000 times better than him when he was on top of his game, lets admit it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Do they do backing tracks on all the songs? I thought it was just a few. I don't see why Feeling this would even need a backing track.

Yeah, backing tracks for all songs now. One of the main things I hate about blink from 2009 and onwards. It's weird hearing the synths in some songs that are there on the album. Just I miss it when they'd play the songs faster, adding like another 20 beats per minute to the tempo. No synths, backing tracks or anything. The only time it ever worked was at that Teen Choice Awards thing in 2004, when they played Down. Can hear the backing tracks, but they sounded great there.

They actually used to sound like a punk rock band. Although they went more pop punk with their 3rd and 4th albums, then darker with their 5th album, it was their live sets that made them a punk rock band IMO. From 2009 and onwards, that's been missing. It can't be age either. I'm sure NOFX and Rancid still play like this.

• Like 4

the fact that tom seems to be the linchpin of blinks live performance says a lot about how crucial he is to the band.

If tom plays great, blink sounds great - if tom plays shit, blink sounds shit

with the current line up it's just always decent, or bad. it's rarely horrible but also never great. 

Which shows that a wierd guy like tom is irreplaceable... it seems...

Travis always kicks as, we're spoiled drumwise

mark does his job

and with matt, we now have a second mark

loves to play in the band, but fails to transmit that excitement to the crowd....

I don't want to generalise this, it's just how I feel, and how it seems watching their current live shows.....

My interest in seeing blink in this formation is nonexistent

21314555_10210764418409678_5207897932438765032_n.thumb.jpg.73727b756588f6ba45260c5f4c46835a.jpg

can't wait for ghent to call me a tombot

• Like 2

Blink is a tribute band now. I think die hard fans just can't admit it.

..... the majority of the people at the shows these days never saw Blink in their heyday, and they just go to be like "Yeh I saw part of the band I wish I was around to see in 1999".

Kind of like when I saw Ringo Starr live, I would have rather seen the Beatles, but time has a way of fucking things up, and I had to settle.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Olidamus said:

Blink is a tribute band now. I think die hard fans just can't admit it.

..... the majority of the people at the shows these days never saw Blink in their heyday, and they just go to be like "Yeh I saw part of the band I wish I was around to see in 1999".

Kind of like when I saw Ringo Starr live, I would have rather seen the Beatles, but time has a way of fucking things up, and I had to settle.

this definitely feels like the vibe i got from the crowd when i saw them in september 2016. and musink in 2015, too.

• Like 1

I got recommended this video recently. Here's how blink should sound (and im not even a huge fan of Adams Song). A punk band doesnt use backing tracks! I was ok with it for a few songs in 09 but every song at album speed is pathetic and makes me lose respect for them. Like someone said, Nofx is older and still plays fast

These ridiculous vegan diets obviously arent doing them any good

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Olidamus said:

Ya might say "well Oliver Blink still releases albums" but that is just a technicality, The Rolling Stones did albums 30 years after they were big too, doesn't mean people give a shit. They go to see The Rolling Stones because of who they were in the 1960's and 70's.

Yeah, you pretty much go to see them because they are legends. I saw the Beach Boys back in 2012 (50th annyversary) and it was an incredible experience.

My doubt is: will blink be able to maintain some kind of performance level to provide a decent show the next decades?

No, they won't because they don't even care now, imagine in 10/15 years. There's still an abyss between a Bruce Springsteen performance in 2017 and a blink-182 one though. You just can't compare blink to these people but yeah blink's performance is lame and they'll eventually call it quits. It's just a matter of time.

I can see Green Day, Descendents, NOFX or Bad Religion being sixty and still being a band but I can't see Mark doing that. 

• Like 3

Just now, Scott. said:

Yeah blink is dead.

it died when Tom left simple as that.

i like California but I'd like it more if it wasn't blink. Why didn't they just make a new band ffs? 

Yeah exactly, nothing wrong with a bit of run of the mill pop punk but when blink gave so much more than that it just seems forced and shit. 

As I've said a few times, they sad thing is blink are now copying the bands that formed 15 years ago copying them, it's like it's gone full fucking circle. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

Yeah exactly, nothing wrong with a bit of run of the mill pop punk but when blink gave so much more than that it just seems forced and shit. 

As I've said a few times, they sad thing is blink are now copying the bands that formed 15 years ago copying them, it's like it's gone full fucking circle. 

Yeah that is fucking tragic that blink are now basically a dad version of all time low 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Feeling_This_1 said:

I got recommended this video recently. Here's how blink should sound (and im not even a huge fan of Adams Song). A punk band doesnt use backing tracks! I was ok with it for a few songs in 09 but every song at album speed is pathetic and makes me lose respect for them.

Yeah I mean honestly punk or not, I can't think of any other bands I follow who use backing tracks like Blink does. Maybe it's a kind of insecurity about being a three-piece, but when they played with energy it never felt overly thin or hollow.

• Like 1

funny thing is, if they would've started a new band with skiba, they wouldn't have felt the need to stick to the lame pop-punk formula and we might have gotten a great record from them...

but i doubt mark has any interest in growing as a musician anymore. give him them blink money and he'll be happy

• Like 1