Films You Think Deserve More Love

Kay

I checked the last couple of pages, didn't see anything similar but if this type of thread already exists give me a shout -

Are there any films that are universally panned that you really like? what are they and why? I seem to fall into this a lot, loving films that get trashed. here's some -

Elizabethtown - a sort of rom-com where 'nothing happens' seems to be the general consensus. I hate Kirsten Dunst, and Orlando Bloom, yet I adore this film. the way it handles his confusion and grief over the sudden loss of his father, tied into the guilt and horror at his business failure, makes Drew an interesting character to follow. Claire certainly falls into (and apparently is the main cause of the coining of the phrase) 'Manic Pixie Dream Girl' territory but her character isn't aloof or necessarily 'mysterious', we're just given Drews perspective and not hers - I think a lot of her actions and demeanour make sense, and I've met women like that. Overall this film is great to watch if your in some kind of existential mood. it's been me and my group of friends turn to movie throughout break ups, career changes, leaving home... loads of things, really. Every time I watch it it makes me think and reflect on my life and what truly matters. Plus it's ridiculously quotable and the soundtrack is wonderful if not weird. 

Four Lions - I had no idea this film was frowned upon, but apparently it is. I can understand why as the subject matter is quite sensitive (if you don't know, it's about people planning on doing a terrorist attack...except their idiots) but the film itself is brilliant. It's definitely a comedy (and a british one - I imagine this humour wouldn't fly overseas very well) but it manages to capture the severity of the subject matter very well. The cast is fantastic, and it gives a window into how indoctrination works to a certain degree. I think it's genius really - plus it is just so funny. 

The Cable Guy - I never knew this was panned growing up, I just loved it. Jim Carrey is genuinely quite scary / unnerving in this film and I find the whole 'someone manipulating themselves into your life and stealing your friends and family' story very creepy and cool. I've always thought this film did it well and still managed to be quite funny. It's possibly one of my favourite Jim Carrey performances really. Jack Black playing a fairly normal character in it is weird, though. 

I have loads more and will come back. 

Pee-wee's Big Adventure and the Star Wars prequels. Great movies. I love them.

And I'm not saying the prequels are better than or even as good as the originals, but I think they're still good movies. Episode 3 is especially great.

Also, Prometheus, and any of the Terminator movies after 2. Again, like Star Wars, they're not as good as the originals, but I still think they're enjoyable.

Moon - This got a lot of good ratings back when it was released. But it's an independent movie, so it's not too well known. If I remember correctly, it only earned about 10 million despite being on a very low budget. I loved it though. Definitely should be a worldwide famous movie IMO.

The Town - Like Moon, it got good reactions, good reviews etc. One of the actors was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for his performance. It's a great movie. Great acting. Despite being a movie about bank robbers, it's pretty damn funny in parts. Very well done. Directed by Ben Affleck. He's also the main character in it. Many people seem to hate him but as a director, he's good IMO. By the general public, it deserves more love. Most people I know don't even know what "The Town" is.

Dredd - I'm not into comic book movies, unless it's a bit more out there, like Watchmen. I don't mind TDK series either. But my God, this is worthy of being compared with Terminator, Aliens, District 9, the Matrix when it comes to good sci fi/action movies IMO. Similar concept to Die Hard. Stuck in a tall ass building. But I don't care, just a great action movie. Didn't perform well at the box office despite it's solid ratings. Not many people know of this movie either. Really hope they do a sequel to this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nosferatu said:

Dredd - I'm not into comic book movies, unless it's a bit more out there, like Watchmen. I don't mind TDK series either. But my God, this is worthy of being compared with Terminator, Aliens, District 9, the Matrix when it comes to good sci fi/action movies IMO. Similar concept to Die Hard. Stuck in a tall ass building. But I don't care, just a great action movie. Didn't perform well at the box office despite it's solid ratings. Not many people know of this movie either. Really hope they do a sequel to this.

Dredd is amazing.  They're developing a TV-series with Karl Urban right now!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, _Kyle_ said:

Also I will go to bat for Josie and the Pussycats (2001).

YES! I love the crap out of that film!

15 hours ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Pee-wee's Big Adventure and the Star Wars prequels. Great movies. I love them.

And I'm not saying the prequels are better than or even as good as the originals, but I think they're still good movies. Episode 3 is especially great.

Also, Prometheus, and any of the Terminator movies after 2. Again, like Star Wars, they're not as good as the originals, but I still think they're enjoyable.

I also liked prometheus, but I'm not a hardcore alien franchise person. like it's a good franchise but I'm not like obsessed with it or anything. I understand and note the complaints with Prometheus, but it was still enjoyable - mostly for Fassbender being a creepy robot dude. I haven't seen the sequel because it legit looks way worse but still, I like the first one. 

1 minute ago, Kay said:

YES! I love the crap out of that film!

I also liked prometheus, but I'm not a hardcore alien franchise person. like it's a good franchise but I'm not like obsessed with it or anything. I understand and note the complaints with Prometheus, but it was still enjoyable - mostly for Fassbender being a creepy robot dude. I haven't seen the sequel because it legit looks way worse but still, I like the first one. 

If Fassbender was your favorite part then I honestly think you would prefer Alien Covenant to Prometheus. Lots more Fassbender in that one!

Just now, Cheerios4u98 said:

If Fassbender was your favorite part then I honestly think you would prefer Alien Covenant to Prometheus. Lots more Fassbender in that one!

Yeah but isn't he playing the flute and making out with himself or something? I draw the line somewhere man lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kay said:

Yeah but isn't he playing the flute and making out with himself or something? I draw the line somewhere man lol 

Well it wasn't really making out. haha.

Fassbender was hands down my favorite part of Covenant, and I think for me personally it took his character from being mildly intriguing to possibly my favorite character in the Alien franchise. I think if you're a fan of what Fassbender did in Prometheus you'd enjoy the sequel.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Cheerios4u98 said:

Well it wasn't really making out. haha.

Fassbender was hands down my favorite part of Covenant, and I think for me personally it took his character from being mildly intriguing to possibly my favorite character in the Alien franchise. I think if you're a fan of what Fassbender did in Prometheus you'd enjoy the sequel.

Hmm, good to know. 

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Hmm, good to know. 

If you like Prometheus, you should definitely like Covenant. I love the first 2 Alien movies but the ones after I don't like. Then Prometheus came out, and I enjoyed it. Wasn't amazing but definitely something solid I think. Covenant I think is more closer to the first 2 movies. Also enjoyed watching that as well. Definitely recommend it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

@Kay americans won't like Four Lions but it's one of the funniest films I've ever seen! Fantastic.

I watched it when it came out, the scene where the guy's explaining how he bought the bleach killed me.

... can I have 12 bottles of bleach please? 

• Like 1