The most non-Blink sounding song?

Meltdown Tracker

On 10/1/2017 at 3:33 PM, vic vinegar said:

Haha I roomed with a bunch of hippies in college for 3 years. They hated blink. One time I played Fallen Interlude while we were smoking and they bobbed their heads and enjoyed it. "Who is this band?" they asked. And then Go started playing and I hear, "Why the fuck does blink-182 sound like a jam band!?!?" Pretty great really.

I love this. Can imagine them high, bopping their heads up and down to the enormous drums of Travis, then all of a sudden Go kicks in, like it's out of place. Did they ever listen to Fighting the Gravity?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nosferatu said:

I love this. Can imagine them high, bopping their heads up and down to the enormous drums of Travis, then all of a sudden Go kicks in, like it's out of place. Did they ever listen to Fighting the Gravity?

Nah this was literally right around the time of the plane crash with Travis so FTG was just a twinkle in the sky at this point. I moved out a few months after the Grammy announcement so they never heard Neighborhoods to my knowledge. In all honesty, this moment is one of my personal favorite "blink moments" in my life. Such a small victory really, but it showed how far blink came along with the ole Smiley record and the memory, however hazy, has lasted all these years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, thongrider said:

It's true, but did Blink really perform much of that track though?

def not. from my (just now) research, it appears it was a guy named Ronald Menno Froese who played guitar/vocals, and he recorded his section at, ayaic, in whittier, ca. the liner notes say it was "produced by sick jacken for the drug lab" -- jacken is joaquin gonzalez (credited as "jack gonzalez" in the writing credits for the song) and a part of the hip hop group psycho realm. the drug lab was, at the time, was his production team (it's now a studio he owns). in the liner notes, travis indicates that jack was the only other person involved with the song and wrote the guitar/bass for the song, so who the fuck is menno? i don't know.

TLDR: it's travis and his hip hop buddies. i think it's cool it's on the album though

as far as i know jacken was the producer (or co-producer along with jerry finn) of the track, and menno was the one who wrote it, played the guitar and sung that line.

but maybe it was written by jacken, and menno was a session musician who recorded the instruments. jacken (or tom) is definitely not the one who recorded the guitar.

• 2 years later...

I can speak to this.....I was working at Ayaic Studios when it first began....very small at first.  This song was produced by Sick Jacken from the Psycho Realm as they recorded War Story Book I and II along with other tracks and artists.  Menno played guitar and that is him singing (owner of Ayaic Studios).  Travis connected with Soul Assassins (Cypress Hill, House of Pain, Psycho Realm, Estevan Oriol, Mr. Cartoon, Etc......) because he was always a fan of hip hop and drum breaks.  Soul Assassins studios did all of the art direction for the album so it was a family affair.