Deleted Threads

Speedo

Deleted threads/Posts are visible for up to 30 days in the Moderator Control panel (accessible by both admins and mods for the relevant sections), after this time they are deleted permanently and can not be recovered.

I don't want to prevent people from being able to delete their own content, they have a right to do so. You can delete any post you make on Facebook, Twitter etc. and I see no reason why it should be any different here. If somebody needs something they posted removed for any reason they are free to delete it so it is instantly wiped from public view. Consider somebody who has a job interview coming up and finds they have some personal information available on here that they decide is best for the interviewer not to find, they should be able to remove it from public view without having to run it past an admin/mod first. As I said above, any deleted content will be recoverable by an admin/mod within 30 days of it's deletion, so if anything is accidentally deleted or an admin/mod has a logical reason to recover the content it can be restored (mods, please be respectful of peoples privacy above your own personal feelings towards them - don't abuse this system).

I understand that a lot of what makes the wheels go round on these boards are the beefs people have with each other, and without you giving me any more context for your question(s) I imagine I'm probably right in assuming that's got something to do with what's going on here. Above all else though I respect peoples right to their own privacy both online and offline, and I think we need to consider that when dealing with this stuff.

If you disagree or want to propose any changes to the way the system works in this regard, by all means let me know your thoughts and I'll hear you out. I'm not the only one making these calls so if there's something that needs to be discussed internally I'll make sure that happens. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dean said:

Deleted threads/Posts are visible for up to 30 days in the Moderator Control panel (accessible by both admins and mods for the relevant sections), after this time they are deleted permanently and can not be recovered.

I don't want to prevent people from being able to delete their own content, they have a right to do so. You can delete any post you make on Facebook, Twitter etc. and I see no reason why it should be any different here. If somebody needs something they posted removed for any reason they are free to delete it so it is instantly wiped from public view. Consider somebody who has a job interview coming up and finds they have some personal information available on here that they decide is best for the interviewer not to find, they should be able to remove it from public view without having to run it past an admin/mod first. As I said above, any deleted content will be recoverable by an admin/mod within 30 days of it's deletion, so if anything is accidentally deleted or an admin/mod has a logical reason to recover the content it can be restored (mods, please be respectful of peoples privacy above your own personal feelings towards them - don't abuse this system).

I understand that a lot of what makes the wheels go round on these boards are the beefs people have with each other, and without you giving me any more context for your question(s) I imagine I'm probably right in assuming that's got something to do with what's going on here. Above all else though I respect peoples right to their own privacy both online and offline, and I think we need to consider that when dealing with this stuff.

If you disagree or want to propose any changes to the way the system works in this regard, by all means let me know your thoughts and I'll hear you out. I'm not the only one making these calls so if there's something that needs to be discussed internally I'll make sure that happens. 

I, personally, don't have a problem with people editing or deleting posts they make. What concerns me is the deletion of entire topics. Editing your posts is a better solution to privacy concerns than deleting entire topics. Deleting entire topics does away with everyone's post and not just one post of concern. That's the problem at hand. I don't think anyone is saying don't take care of your privacy concerns (although forethought is important too) but it can be done without the expense of doing away with others content as well.

I hear you, and that's a fair comment.

From a technical standpoint this gets a bit tricky, the way threads work are that the thread itself is very much tied to the initial post - In fact the initial post basically is the thread so if you started a thread and want to remove the post you made to start the thread unfortunately the entire thread must go with it.

This, I suppose, is one of the reasons deleted content will go in to the Moderator control panel so in an event like this a mod or admin can review it if somebody raises a concern with a deleted thread. This would obviously need to involve a conversation with the person who created the thread and if its deemed that they simply need their post(s) removed from the thread we can recover the thread but manually remove the content from their posts. If you consider something like Facebook, if I were to make a post on Facebook and then a bunch of people made their own comments on that post I can still delete the original post and all comments will be removed with it. 

As I said though, this is only possible within 30 days of the thread being deleted so if it's gone past this time there's no way to recover it as it's been hard-deleted from the database.

Dean is right that when you delete topics on Facebook and Twitter, everything goes with it, including replies. Makes it hard to justify us banning the deletion of topics. 

BUT, this has never really been a problem until Clarke. I feel like he should be dealt with on an individual basis. no need to change the overall policy here because of him. 

He is a serial editor (sometimes months after the fact) and is known to delete huge threads full of good material from other people. Let him delete and alter his posts like a psycho, whatever...but I don’t think he should be able to delete threads anymore. 

• Like 2

If someone CREATES a thread and then compromises themselves in any way in said thread, the onus is on the OP.  Posters shouldn’t be punished for OP’s foolishness.

Like @Ghent said this is extremely rare, because most people don’t incriminate themselves when creating a thread (lol). 

(Obviously posters should be allowed to edit and revise their posts until pigs fly, but deletion of threads should be a mod/admin job IMO).

15 hours ago, Patient #48273 said:

I agree with Speedo. Let people edit posts if they want to remove content they no longer want on the boards, but don't let them delete other people's posts.

@Dean

Also, Aria owns the boards. Dean just has power here. Really Aria should be one making the decision. No offense Dean.

7 minutes ago, ...Dan... said:

It's a forum dedicated to blink-182, do we really need to start diving into ethics? 

Yeah it's a bit shit when someone deletes a funny thread we want to read again but in the grand scheme of things, does it matter that much? 

I would say so.

I mean, can I delete your posts? I don't see why this is even a problem, he could edit his posts and remove anything he didn't like. Ask us to remove content that he doesn't want out there. To delete a whole thread because your embarrassed (which seems to be the real reason) would be irrational. Maybe you don't remember the OG confessions thread being deleted but that is pretty annoying. I personally like looking at my old posts to remember what I was doing or thinking. Nobody should be able to take that away.

I'm catching up on the other 27 pages but, Clarke, what did that poster said to you to make you feel threatened when you wrote about your university? What happened? I'm genuinely curious because it sounds weird. 

On 12/2/2017 at 12:53 AM, _Kyle_ said:

@Dean

Also, Aria owns the boards. Dean just has power here. Really Aria should be one making the decision. No offense Dean.

No offense taken at all, you're 100% correct. I'm obviously happy to throw in my opinion (as I have) to try and come to a reasonable solution but at the end of the day I am primarily an admin for the technical administrative functions of keeping the boards running properly.

From a technical perspective we unfortunately can't differentiate between the ability to delete single posts and deleting entire threads - It's all or none. I personally believe that the fairest solution is to leave the current ability to delete content in place as we do have the ability to recover any post/thread within 30 days if somebody raises a legitimate concern with any deletions. I'm definitely not trying to take any sides here or step on anyone's toes, I'm simply using my experience in IT and web security/privacy to construct my views on how this should all be dealt with.

If the majority view is overwhelmingly in another direction and Aria is happy with it then it is definitely possible for me to prevent the deletion of content, but I think a logical and unbiased discussion needs to be had both with all of you guys and internally with the other admins. I know this is "just a Blink-182 message board" but when we're talking about peoples privacy that doesn't really matter. One of the best parts about these boards has always been the fact that people have real discussions outside of Blink-182 related topics, and often these can get very personal so we need to deal with privacy with a certain level of seriousness.

@Aria - Would really love your input here, if you'd prefer to discuss privately hit me up through PM/Facebook.