Deleted Threads

Speedo

As long as the edit function remains intact, I personally don't think it'd be a big deal to prevent people from deleting posts. If possible, there could be a grace period (of an hour, a day or whatever) during which people could actually delete posts if they changed their mind during that time period. I know some other forums that have rules like this.

I guess it's not a big deal whether you guys decide make changes or not since Aria has already approved a way to deal with the offender that inspired this request.

Just my 2 cents on this: I don't think entire topics should be allowed to be removed. Others put too much time posting stuff and no single person should be removing a thread just for the heck of it. The entire thread is not their content.

If there is objectionable stuff in specific posts; contact an admin or mod. That is just how I feel.

Take the Trump thread for example: If Clarke made that, should he have power to remove it just because of a couple of posts he didn't like? No way in hell.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 8:59 AM, ...Dan... said:

Does it really matter that much? people lost a few posts of their post count, boo fucking hoo. 

As others said above, when you delete a status off Facebook it deletes everyone elses comments, why should here be any different? 

It doesn't seem like it's about post count so much as it's about removing entire, extended dialogues about a lot of different topics, potentially. Like for me, as a writer, I often use some conversations as an opportunity to flesh out my thoughts on a topic, and this place tends to have discussions about a lot of current events and topics. If I can't go back and see what I said because someone else deleted it, that's a drag for me.

I know that in the past I've talked about love/sex/relationships in a way that I wanted to reference later, but it's gone now.

1 hour ago, Olidamus said:

Just my 2 cents on this: I don't think entire topics should be allowed to be removed. Others put too much time posting stuff and no single person should be removing a thread just for the heck of it. The entire thread is not their content.

If there is objectionable stuff in specific posts; contact an admin or mod. That is just how I feel.

Take the Trump thread for example: If Clarke made that, should he have power to remove it just because of a couple of posts he didn't like? No way in hell.

Yeah, this really. A lot of people spend a lot of time fleshing out their thoughts. It seems dumb to some people, but it's something that is done here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dean said:

No offense taken at all, you're 100% correct. I'm obviously happy to throw in my opinion (as I have) to try and come to a reasonable solution but at the end of the day I am primarily an admin for the technical administrative functions of keeping the boards running properly.

From a technical perspective we unfortunately can't differentiate between the ability to delete single posts and deleting entire threads - It's all or none. I personally believe that the fairest solution is to leave the current ability to delete content in place as we do have the ability to recover any post/thread within 30 days if somebody raises a legitimate concern with any deletions. I'm definitely not trying to take any sides here or step on anyone's toes, I'm simply using my experience in IT and web security/privacy to construct my views on how this should all be dealt with.

If the majority view is overwhelmingly in another direction and Aria is happy with it then it is definitely possible for me to prevent the deletion of content, but I think a logical and unbiased discussion needs to be had both with all of you guys and internally with the other admins. I know this is "just a Blink-182 message board" but when we're talking about peoples privacy that doesn't really matter. One of the best parts about these boards has always been the fact that people have real discussions outside of Blink-182 related topics, and often these can get very personal so we need to deal with privacy with a certain level of seriousness.

@Aria - Would really love your input here, if you'd prefer to discuss privately hit me up through PM/Facebook.

As long as the concept of recovering threads that had a lot of content involved in their making is a valid reason to replace them. I think that beyond first and last names and other specific doxxing, there isn't much that should be deleted in terms of entire topics so long as you can edit your posts.

If someone is concerned with the initial post of a topic he made, just edit the post and delete the details you don't want to still be there.

heck even crop out everything you wrote in the initial post and replace it with a picture of my dick if you like. I don't see why it stresses anyone out som much to not be able to delete entire threads... you can remove everything you wrote, anytime...... Just not what anyone else has posted, capiche? 

what is clarkes concern, actually? i don't get it...

the first 20+ pages about this were quite entertaining though, so keep up the great work.... love me some pathetic drama

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NealMcBealTheNavySeal said:

If someone is concerned with the initial post of a topic he made, just edit the post and delete the details you don't want to still be there.

heck even crop out everything you wrote in the initial post and replace it with a picture of my dick if you like. I don't see why it stresses anyone out som much to not be able to delete entire threads... you can remove everything you wrote, anytime...... Just not what anyone else has posted, capiche? 

what is clarkes concern, actually? i don't get it...

the first 20+ pages about this were quite entertaining though, so keep up the great work.... love me some pathetic drama

He doesn't have one, he just likes to be difficult.

7 minutes ago, Clarke said:

False accusations, aside, again.  

I'll repeat what I mentioned before.  There is a real world besides the internet.  People have real lives.  People have employers.  People have family.  People have relationships.  Unfortunately, there is content posted on the internet that can impact people's lives outside of the internet.  There are people on the internet that can cause harm to other users outside of the internet.  Because of this, the discussion is a matter of real life.

If somebody posts something, they should have every right to remove their content.  People have already posted with the understanding that they can remove the content they've already posted, and they should always be able to post here with that understanding.  People post things that are personal.  People post things that are revealing.  People post things that could open the door for other users to infringe on other users' their real lives.  Sure, users should always be careful about what they post.  However, if a user does post something and later feels that they no longer want that content up, they absolutely should have the right to take it down.  Privacy and safety of our users are two things that should be respected.

Why can't you just edit your own posts to remove the embarrassing content?

Yeah he's using the real world / privacy stuff but the truth is if you accidentally say something too personal, you can edit the post.

If you delete your post which is the root of the thread, you're deleting everyone elses posts as well and that's not right.

Editing the post gets rid of his entire argument but he's going to repeat himself anyway so what do I know... 

21 hours ago, ungroovy said:

It doesn't seem like it's about post count so much as it's about removing entire, extended dialogues about a lot of different topics, potentially. Like for me, as a writer, I often use some conversations as an opportunity to flesh out my thoughts on a topic, and this place tends to have discussions about a lot of current events and topics. If I can't go back and see what I said because someone else deleted it, that's a drag for me.

I know that in the past I've talked about love/sex/relationships in a way that I wanted to reference later, but it's gone now.

I actually kind of agree with this, didn't really think about it like that before. It's not something that would bother me but can see how it would some people.